Innovative Marine Aquariums

Notching 1/4" plexi for strainer.

reefphreak

I just picked up my two pieces of 1/4" plexi for my overflow and damn was it expensive. Now I need to notch out the top of it for water to strain through it. Could this be done on a tablesaw or maybe even a bandsaw? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Leo

p1290025.jpg

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do you have a router or Dremel phreak? Would be the best way to go about it. I wouldn't try it on a tablesaw unless you sandwiched your acrylic between a couple of thin wood pieces first...preferably with a thin-kerf blade on the saw. (teeth are in alignment with each other as opposed to being slightly offset).

Since you mentioned bandsaw I'm going to assume you have one of them... you could drill holes that would determine the bottom of your U shaped slots...then put it on the bandsaw and cut straight lines down to the edges of the holes you drilled...make sense?

Thanks buddy. I have a thin kerf blade but I like the idea of drilling the hole and making that the bottom of my notch. I know exactly what you are talking about. Kewl thanks. This is gonna be for a 29 so how big and deep should i make the notches? I was thinking of a flow rate of like 150 to 250 gph.

Hmmm, well I don't think I would make the slots any wider than a 1/4"... but your flow rate is going to be more determined by the size of your bulkhead drain and return pump. The length of the slots is what is going to determine your waterline in the tank as well.... If you don't want to see the water line when looking through the glass your slot depth should not extend too far down past the edge of the plastic trim. Keep in mind the higher the flow rate the higher up on the slots the water level is going to be. Very low flow and the water might only rise an 1/8" above the bottom of the slot.... higher flow rate, maybe a 1/4 to 1/2". Hope this is making sense.

For the non-visible water line...lol My best guess would be to use 1/4" slots a 1/4" apart and have the depth of them be just a FRACTION below or even with the edge of the plastic tank trim.

You did notice I said "best guess" didn't you? hehehehe That will be a sweet setup when you're all done with it...looking forward to the pics and details as you go along.

Thanks buddy. I will keep it safe and not make my notches any lower than the frame on the tank. I would like to use a Mag Drive 350 for a pump and I was figuring that after you add head pressure I'll end up with maybe around oh say 200 to 250 gph. Also i was thinking of putting a 3/4" drain and a 1/2" return. Whatcha think? You have been very helpful.

Thanks

Leo

Hey phreak you'd better check and see if you can find out if the bottom of that tank is tempered glass. If it is you might as well make a smaller top mounted overflow box instead of the full height one.

Hi Liz.

I was gonna put it in the back wall up high. because of all the weight of the sand and rock on the bottom is already quite the load nevermind putting a hole in the bottom. I'm just thinking ahead and trying to get out of any disaster. I already had a 20 long blowout the bottom with just water in it. So since then I'm paranoid. I know what a mess it can create.

Well if you are going to put it in the top back glass I'd just use a top smallish corner box. That way it take up less space in the tank. You don't loose the space at the bottom for rocks and sand.

I got a response from Perfecto telling me that there is no tempered glass on the 29. So I just ordered my 1 3/4 diamond bit for my drain and I'll take my black plexi and start getting that strainer done on it.

Well.

I did do what we talked about Glazer as far as the drill bit and the bandsaw and it worked ok but I too am a perfectionist so the next time I'll be ready. I'm gonna make a jig at work next week so I can do it with a trim router and that will come out awesome. I'm gonna use the one I did today on my 29 because it would be 30 bucks down the drain in black plexi. I will keep you posted as things happen. lol Thanks for the help with the ideas. And Liz I decided to drill the bottom of the tank so my overflow will go to the bottom. I ordered the bit at like 2 this morning since I was up all night and couldn't sleep. I know,poor me. :) Thanks fellow reefers. Oh yeah! My 7 bowfront came in today!!!!

Leo

hey phreak...

The slots don't look that bad at all, well in the pic anyway ;) I do truly and completely identify with the "perfectionist" aspect though... it's a freakin' curse!..lol

Just a thought on saving a few bucks perhaps.... anyway you could just glue/silicone some pieces, whether they be scrap acrylic or even cut up butter tub lids onto the acrylic to close of the slits? You could then just turn the acrylic upside down and redo yer slots there all pretty like... the other end is going to be buried in the sand so you'll never see it.... ah wait though, YOU'D KNOW what evil lies beneath the sand.... hmmmm, thinking, thinking.... I could learn to live with it!....lolol Oh well, just a thought like I said... sally forth young man, good luck with the drilling, I'm rootin' for ya! (you'll do FINE I'm sure of it)

Blah, I didnt notch anything just get the heighth correct and it will flow over the tope. I put some eggcrate on the top though so critters wouldnt fall over. If you do this again look for scrap pieces of acrylic laying around the glass shop or lowes or HD and make the asst managaer a deal. Thats what I did it only ran me $2. I dont know if youve seen the thread I made but I did a step by step of the overflow there

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/showthread...=&threadid=7592

Ok. My Diamond bit shipped today so most likely I will be drilling my tank this weekend. Is there any special kinda pipe setup I should put inside my corner overflow? Should I just have a pipe sticking up about maybe 4 inches from the bottom of the glass and let the water pour into that?

In case of confusion with terminology...

There is a Durso standpipe and there is a Stockman standpipe....

Both good designs and do what they were intended to do... make fer a nice quiet SMOOTH overflow. The Stockman design being a little more "space friendly".

EDIT! OOOOPS!... edit or delete, edit or delete... warning slow typer, redundant response!...lol

I just ordered a Durso for 22 bucks. I'll take some pics of it and go to Home Depot and buy parts and make some more. I ordered it just to make sure that I don't fudge it up. I am gonna have a 1" bulkhead for a drain and probly a 1" for a return on the back glass up in the corner opposite the overflow. The return will have a reducer on it inside the tank. Does this sound ok to you reefers ?

Archived