Cultivated Reef

M-Tanks?

Idonteatfish

thanks very much for the link to the ro/di unit...i think i'll get that one...it looks great

just one question...

do you want to do a water change on a 20g on a regular basis...does this unit make enough H2O quick enough? thing only holds 4g right so that's the max water chg you can do on w/out extra planning?

You're welcome for the link. I'm very pleased with that unit.

You're basically limited to the 3-4g if you need an emergency water change. BUT, you can hook up additional storage tanks if you wanted more on demand RO water.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I also wanted to post an update about the 20g M-Tank. After having it up and running a few weeks now, I have removed the rain trays and will be adding some rock to the back compartment to make a refugium. At first I thought the rain trays would be good, but they pose a few problems IMO. They are listed below.

1. They're noisy, have to listen to the water trickle through them. After removing them, I couldn't believe how much quieter my tank was.

2. Creates tons of micro bubbles from the falling water and they get sucked into the main display.

3. They are a real pain to remove! Please note, this is for the 20g. The 32g looks like it has extra room to make them easier to remove. In the 20g, they take up the entire compartment. Too much work IMO to clean the pads, etc.

4. I have a ReefKeeper2, when I put it into standby to turn of the power heads for feeding, the water in the rear compartment rises almost to the top. This is due to 2 holes letting water into the rear. Once the water rises above the pads, it lifts all the stuff trapped in the pads back into the water. Then when the powerhead come back on, you get a nice shot of dirty water into the display.

5. After removing them, I added about 3g more water to the entire system!

I'm going to purchase a HOB filter to run every now and then to polish the water. Anyway, just wanted to post an update after having the tank running for a while. Still very pleased with the tank, but if I did it again I'd do live rubble in the back instead of the rain trays from the beginning.

• 2 weeks later...
Ocean In A Box

Thanks for the update!

Does anyone else have the same setup in the back?

Unfortunately, mine is still waiting to be unpacked and set up.

B/c...Need to build custom stand/canopopy for it first.

FYI,

Premium aquatics has these in stock now, though they don't offer the MH light upgrade.

Have you guys got any pics of your setups?

I'm torn between buying one of these tanks or setting up my 40 gallon.

ffluke, what's your opinion of the skimmer? It looks like one of the cheap jebo skimmers from ebay. Any good? any issues with bubbles or lack of bubbles?

Have you guys got any pics of your setups?

I'm torn between buying one of these tanks or setting up my 40 gallon.

ffluke, what's your opinion of the skimmer? It looks like one of the cheap jebo skimmers from ebay. Any good? any issues with bubbles or lack of bubbles?

I'll post some pics later tonight or tomorrow of my setup, there may be some in my gallery.

M-Tank vs 40g, hmmm... The M-Tank def would look nicer as it has rounded corners and looks modern, but a 40g would be nice for keeping more fish than you can in a 20. So I guess it depends on what you'd like to keep. I'd also like to mention that since it's acrylic, it does scratch! I'm using filer floss now to clean the acrylic instead of a mag float to prevent scratches.

I was going to post the same question about the skimmer, as I haven't used it yet. To me it looks more like the one by marine lab, except it sits inside the tank rather than HOB. I think I may get an external fuge to grow some macroalgea and add additional water volume to the system instead, as I don't really want to dose trace elements because the skimmer removes them.

I'd also like to mention that since it's acrylic, it does scratch! I'm using filer floss now to clean the acrylic instead of a mag float to prevent scratches.

Actually I meant to say that PA has started selling the glass ones.

PA link

Way down near the bottom of the page.

It's a deeper tank then the acrylic one, more cube shape.

• 2 weeks later...
Ocean In A Box

thumbsy-

Depending on where you're located...pls see early posts in this string if interested...glass cube that I have (WI).

take care, matt

thumbsy-

Depending on where you're located...pls see early posts in this string if interested...glass cube that I have (WI).

take care, matt

I'm in chicago, Ill.

I've seen this tank at a lfs and I've been drooling over it. The pics don't do it justice. But I'm in an apartment and I don't have room for another tank.

But I did buy the 8 gallon finnex tank for a planted fw I'm setting up.

Ocean In A Box

The 8g Finnex setup is cool looking too but not an all in one built in type setup.

Good luck with it -

Matt

• 1 month later...
Ocean In A Box

flluke-

Any updates on your 20 M recently?

Mine STILL not setup but my plan is to set it up and get the canopy built this month...

- Matt

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
Ocean In A Box

Hi Everyone with the M-Tanks -

I really liked this thread and talking w/ anyone that has the glass M's.

Been awhile since anyone posted in this thread; any updates from anyone?

Thought I'd shoot a quick update out...I finally, FINALLY have actually started the project to get my glass 20g M up and running...well it's a bit more than just the tank itself.

It will be in my basement -- the progress may not be lightspeed but I will post in this thread as it happens:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthre...hreadid=1007151

Pls tag along - hope your tanks are doing well!

- Matt

ReefInChicago
Hi Everyone with the M-Tanks -

I really liked this thread and talking w/ anyone that has the glass M's.

Been awhile since anyone posted in this thread; any updates from anyone?

Thought I'd shoot a quick update out...I finally, FINALLY have actually started the project to get my glass 20g M up and running...well it's a bit more than just the tank itself.

It will be in my basement -- the progress may not be lightspeed but I will post in this thread as it happens:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthre...hreadid=1007151

Pls tag along - hope your tanks are doing well!

- Matt

hello from (yet another) matt!

i've got a 30g glass finnex that's been up a bit more than a month. i'll try to post pics on the tank thread sometime this week. it's down to p3 or p4 of the section at this point.

there's another 30g thread from c7xxxx in the members aquariums section.

phixion (who's also named 'matt') and asin posted on my thread that they've also bought the 30g. finnex is getting out of the glass tank biz, and pretty much what's out there is what's out there.

so far i love the tank. i've had a couple issues with microbubbles (still get some) and chamber 1 water levels (both documented in the thread), but overall i really like it. tuesdays are water parm days for all three tanks, so i'll see if i can't take a couple pics when i'm doing the tests.

let us know how the 20g is going, too!

matt

Archived