ReefCleaners.org

M-Tanks?

Idonteatfish

Ocean In A Box

Bobby,

Yes, 20g...roughly 18" all three dimensions.

They have them new, as a package deal at a LFS in my area (S.E. Wisconsin).

FlyCRJ,

Yours is acrylic right? Mine is glass...I too had never seen a glass one eitiher which is why I was so excited. I don't personally like a few things about the 12&24 NanoCube's (that are glass) and I didn't want to go acrylic so that's why I'm pretty excited about this one.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ocean In A Box

anndi,

The link to that one I'm almost certain is same one they sell on nanotuners.com for $249

Just as comparison...to be clear, that's not the tank I have -- mine is glass.

Ocean In A Box

Either way, cool tank(s) !! IMO

I am going to construct a custom stand and canopy for mine before setting up so in a few wks I'll post some initial progress pics and start a new thread around here on this site.

Good luck everyone,

Idonteatfish
Either way, cool tank(s) !! IMO

I am going to construct a custom stand and canopy for mine before setting up so in a few wks I'll post some initial progress pics and start a new thread around here on this site.

Good luck everyone,

Ocean....

What kind of lighting did that one come with? And if you dont mind how much was it?.

Ocean In A Box

Idonteatfish, BTW, that's a cool name on here.

Anyway, the tank w/ lights/protein skimmer/etc was a pkg deal for $280. That was with 72W PC (1 white / 1 actinic / and dual LED moonlights all on individual switches). I have not seen a better price on this size GLASS all integreated cube with this nice of a light or overall setup -- and I have looked everywhere locally and online for about a year and a half.

I believe it was around $450 (maybe less) for the same setup but lighting upgrade to an integrated actinic/150W HQI setup -- this is what I have.

Costs are pretty close but an estimate...I forgot exactly (or try not to think about it!). lol

I am pumped to set it up asap and get into things but have to build a stand at a minimum, and then figure out how to do a canopy as well.

Ocean In A Box

Here are some pics of the new 150W HQE that will be over the 20g cube.

http://www.nano-reef.com/gallery/showphoto...00&ppuser=18970

Idonteatfish, BTW, that's a cool name on here.

Anyway, the tank w/ lights/protein skimmer/etc was a pkg deal for $280. That was with 72W PC (1 white / 1 actinic / and dual LED moonlights all on individual switches). I have not seen a better price on this size GLASS all integreated cube with this nice of a light or overall setup -- and I have looked everywhere locally and online for about a year and a half.

I believe it was around $450 (maybe less) for the same setup but lighting upgrade to an integrated actinic/150W HQI setup -- this is what I have.

Costs are pretty close but an estimate...I forgot exactly (or try not to think about it!). lol

I am pumped to set it up asap and get into things but have to build a stand at a minimum, and then figure out how to do a canopy as well.

post-18970-1141711614_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I received my 20g M-Tank from nanotuners about a week ago with stand, still waiting to get a RO/DI unit before I proceed any further.

Some comments I have on the 20g M-Tank.

1. The top of the tank has a lid glued on the top with a decent size square hole in the middle for access. This might get annoying, for one, it will make it more difficult to run a power cord into the front part of the tank for an additional power head or two. I see some drilling involved here.

2. I have the 150w MH w/ 2x18w actinics. This sucker is bright! I'm going to need to create a canopy for it to block the light. Because it's above eye level when sitting on my couch and it's pretty blinding/distracting.

3. Each actinic is on it's own switch, but the moonlights only come on when they're switched off, so for moon lighting I'm going to have to mod or add my own.

I'll post some pics soon!

Ocean In A Box

That's great flluke & thx for the pictures.

I have my tank too like yours (glass though) but STILL need to hook it up.

I think I'm procrastinating, lol. I just need to order a R/O unit to finally get started. The rest I can pick up at the LFS, salt, sand, rock...

so you're not the only one with an empty 20g m-tank ;)

Mainframe562

How's the stand flluke? I have a 32g and i'm looking for a stand. Kinda hard to find since the dimensions are not standard, I might just build my own. Are you guys considering making a refugium in the back compartment?

Ocean In A Box-

Great looking tank! I'm in the Chicago area and run through Milwaukee pretty regularly. What's the name of the fish store where you picked up your tank? It might just be what I've been looking for. Thanks.

Mike

Got my 20g acrylic M-Tank about a week ago. I also went with the 150 HQI with 2 actinics. I decided on the 14k Phoenix bulb because the light is about what I am looking for. I also put the stand together today. It looks good and is suprisingly strong. My LR is still curing so it will be a few weeks before anything goes in. Impressed with Finnex so far.

Mainframe562,

The stand seems pretty strong/solid once it's all together. It fits the tank perfectly and looks good. Check out my gallery for pics of the tank and stand.

I'm not going to run the skimmer in mine, not sure what i'm going to do with that empty compartment in the back. I know i'll def have to plumb in some fittings for a chiller as I have a feeling w/ the 150w it's going to heat the tank up. But without that huge skimmer in the back, there's a decent amount of room for something.

• 3 weeks later...
Ocean In A Box

flluke-

mine tank still empty...makes me sick. no stand or canopy built. canopy going to be a little trickier than just making the usual wood canopies you see on tanks as i'm trying to totally hide my MH light which is mounted on legs while at the same time not make the canopy look too big/wide to hide those mounting legs.

anyway, been away from nano-reef and working on starting my tank b/c my son was born 6wks ago. so not all is bad, but it sure would be nice to have a beautiful reef to stare at at 3 in the morning when i'm feeding him a bottle...

mike(isuchopper)-

it's aquatics unlimited on hwy100...here you go:

3550 South 108th Street, Milwaukee, WI 53228

(414) 543-2552

they are so over-ly priced on so many things that i was amazed when i got this setup from them. if you're looking for a true cube, everything integrated, and made of glass...honestly don't think you'll find a better/cooler cost effective one out there.

Brick-

i talked to a couple of pretty knowledgeable guys at my LFS who told me they love Finnex too (their lights that is)...they said the other mainline brand light companies (there are a couple you've all probably always heard about and seen low prices on) spend alot of $ on the advertising but not on the product itself. you never hear about finnex lights being advertised much, but they seem to be pretty high quality. the lfs i was at was swapping out a bunch of their lights if you looked around and they're running finnex fixtures all over this pretty big store. my two cents.

Take care all, I'll post pics here or ina new thread as soon as I have my canopy and stand in-process or near done. - Matt

mike(isuchopper)-

it's aquatics unlimited on hwy100...here you go:

3550 South 108th Street, Milwaukee, WI 53228

(414) 543-2552

they are so over-ly priced on so many things that i was amazed when i got this setup from them. if you're looking for a true cube, everything integrated, and made of glass...honestly don't think you'll find a better/cooler cost effective one out there.

Matt-

Congrats on the birth of your son! Your first?

Thanks for the info on the fish store. I'll stop by when I'm up there. I'm looking forward to seeing your tank once to get some free time to get it together.

Mike

flluke-

mine tank still empty...makes me sick. no stand or canopy built. canopy going to be a little trickier than just making the usual wood canopies you see on tanks as i'm trying to totally hide my MH light which is mounted on legs while at the same time not make the canopy look too big/wide to hide those mounting legs.

anyway, been away from nano-reef and working on starting my tank b/c my son was born 6wks ago. so not all is bad, but it sure would be nice to have a beautiful reef to stare at at 3 in the morning when i'm feeding him a bottle...

Ocean, congratulations on the son!

Mine is still empty too :( but sitting on its stand. I also wanted to build a canopy, because that 150w MH will blind you if it's sitting above eye level. It also floods the living room w/ light. My job keeps me pretty busy and I have no motivation to build one when I'm not working, so I'm going to order the PC 2x36w fixture and do a FOWLR tank to start. Not as bright and won't put out as much heat. Then I can switch to the MH later down the road when I want to do corals and can build a conopy w/ cooling fans.

I just got around to ordering a RO/DI unit today! I decided to get an aqua safe system off of ebay. Can't beat the price and it looks easy enough to hookup. Another step closer for me! I should be able to start soon once it's hooked up.

• 3 weeks later...
Ocean In A Box

isucopper (Mike) -

My son is my 2nd one, so it's a great time having two young kids, just not as much time for new fishtank projects. ;)

fluke -

I'm actually in the same state of mind as you - that's a great idea to do PC for now and FOWLR. In fact, I am sitting in a Paris hotel room as I type this...for all you Paris lovers out there, if there is such a thing, here's a picture of the Tower from earlier this afternoon.

post-18970-1147643159_thumb.jpg

Do you have anymore the details on the RO/DI you mention or any opinions since you got it? Anyone else have experience w/ that RO/DI unit? Pls share info, I have never had one and don't know the pros/cons of what to look for in a RO/DI. I don't mind paying more if it's worth it, if the value is there.

That's all for now - hope to start my tank later this month and will post progress and pics then. Take care all!

-- Matt

Do you have anymore the details on the RO/DI you mention or any opinions since you got it? Anyone else have experience w/ that RO/DI unit? Pls share info, I have never had one and don't know the pros/cons of what to look for in a RO/DI. I don't mind paying more if it's worth it, if the value is there.

That's all for now - hope to start my tank later this month and will post progress and pics then. Take care all!

-- Matt

I highly recommend the Aquasafe system off ebay. They have serveral different setups to choose from depending on your needs. I got the Maxium system I think, came with everything including the tank, DI filter, pressure gauge, and TDS meter. I also got the additional hookup that came w/ a T, valve, and 25' of tube. In all, I paid less than $200 for everything including shipping i think. The tank is a must, I'm thinking of buying 1 or 2 more tanks and hooking them up so I can have about 9 gallons on tap. It takes about 2-3 hours to fill the 3 gallon tank, and about 3 minutes to empty it :P

The system was also really easy to hook up. Most of the work was pulling out the drill to put a hole in the drain pipe under the sink.

I actually have my tank filled w/ RO/DI water for a trial run as of last night. Have my Reefkeeper 2 all setup and running too. Just need to drain, refill, add salt, sand and live rock. I keep my house pretty cool < 78 and the temp stays rock solid at whatever I set it at with the PC lights. Phew, cause I didn't want to have to purchase a chiller.

:happy:

Ocean In A Box

With a ~20g system you think you'd need 2 or 3 3g tanks of RO/DI on standby at all times or ?

Is it just the RO/DI unit or does it include, do you have, a top-off system on your nano tank? Interested in more on this, pics, etc if you have it... The last thing I want to do is have the continued worry of evaporation on a small tank & have to replace H2O manually...

Thanks, Matt

With a ~20g system you think you'd need 2 or 3 3g tanks of RO/DI on standby at all times or ?

Is it just the RO/DI unit or does it include, do you have, a top-off system on your nano tank? Interested in more on this, pics, etc if you have it... The last thing I want to do is have the continued worry of evaporation on a small tank & have to replace H2O manually...

Thanks, Matt

With my 20g w/ 72w PCs I don't get a lot of evaporation. My morning top off is one of those plastic party cups. I usually top off when I get home from work too, about a half cup.

The 3g tank connects to the RO/DI unit for "on demand" RO/DI water. The RO unit takes over an hour to make a gallon of water. So you can see how having the 3g storage tank can come in handy. If you need 2g of water it's there and the RO unit will refill it after a few hours.

Here's the unit I purchased. (Note: Highly recommend for $5, the inline t-connector they have as an option)

Aqua-Safe

I also purchased this to bypass the "taste filter" since I also use it for drinking water. It also comes w/ 20 ft of tubing.

Connector Kit

After having my tank up for a while, I don't think I need another water storage tank. It was just a pain to fill my tank 3 gallons at a time. Took about 2 days since I couldn't do it durring the day.

• 2 weeks later...
Ocean In A Box

thanks very much for the link to the ro/di unit...i think i'll get that one...it looks great

just one question...

do you want to do a water change on a 20g on a regular basis...does this unit make enough H2O quick enough? thing only holds 4g right so that's the max water chg you can do on w/out extra planning?

thanks very much for the link to the ro/di unit...i think i'll get that one...it looks great

just one question...

do you want to do a water change on a 20g on a regular basis...does this unit make enough H2O quick enough? thing only holds 4g right so that's the max water chg you can do on w/out extra planning?

Archived