Cultivated Reef

The Wife Is Finally Acclimated!

reef n ale

neanderthalman

I already posted this in the makeshift lounge a while ago, but I'll add it here.

When I first met my g/f she was upset at the amount of time I spent working on my aquarium. I told her straight up "I had this aquarium before I met you, and I'll have it long after you're gone". It's been almost two years, and she hasn't said a word since about how much time and money I spend on my tank.

Stupid? Possibly. Effective? Hells yes

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My husband doesn't mind when I spend on the tanks... it's amazing how he can match me, dollar for dollar, with new computer games and equipment!

He also doesn't mind the time I spend on forums and with my tanks... it means I'm leaving him alone to watch hockey, go out with the boys (usually to the computer or electronics shop) or play on the computer.

Wow, are we ever a couple of nerds :D

I already posted this in the makeshift lounge a while ago, but I'll add it here.

When I first met my g/f she was upset at the amount of time I spent working on my aquarium. I told her straight up "I had this aquarium before I met you, and I'll have it long after you're gone". It's been almost two years, and she hasn't said a word since about how much time and money I spend on my tank.

Damn, nice. I need to write that down lmao!

thats how you get slapped in the face :slap:

I was with my girlfriend for 4 years before i got into this hobby. Didnt mention a word of it to her until after I went out and bought everything. She says to me" How did you buy all that, you always tell me you have no money!" B) Its been up almost a year and everytime we go to a lfs she wants to buy something for the tank. Yup you heard right SHE wants to. Last time she wanted to buy me a clam. I needed more real estate before i did that.

Mine was trained from the start! LOL.

My wife and I have a budget and part of that budget includes an allowance for "personal money" (for each of us). Since that money is mine and mine alone, I never get any flak over spending a hundred bucks on a blue spotted jawfish. We've never fought about it in 5 years of marriage. It works for us and I highly recommend budgeting. Now if I only I could figure out a way to "buget" the noise of pumps, fans and (minor!?!) leaks on the new carpet....:)

neanderthalman
thats how you get slapped in the face

That's about the worst that could've happened. She wouldn't have been the last girlfriend I ever had.

Remember that kids, there will always be another one to take her place. Don't be afraid to move on.

My wife wanted to get out of line like this but one day I came home after a coral run late at night with a bag of goodies. She asked me "What's in the bag" and I blew up. That was the end of that.

Then she started asking me if we can keep clams in our tank. So blowing up on her might work. But then again she spends my money on Coach purses and other enxpensive stuff. :huh:

My wife wanted to get out of line like this but one day I came home after a coral run late at night with a bag of goodies. She asked me "What's in the bag" and I blew up. That was the end of that.

Then she started asking me if we can keep clams in our tank. So blowing up on her might work. But then again she spends my money on Coach purses and other enxpensive stuff. :huh:

lol just tell her, "for every pair of shoes or purse you buy, i get to buy something i want"

=D

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

hahahahahahahahahahahahaha

hahahahahahahahaha

ha

ha

ha

ha

ha

ha =D

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

I've read through this entire thread and couldn't stop smiling. I was able to identify with all the married men.

I use the get home before the wife did and stick the coral/critter into the tank; I'd have to calculate drip acclimation to the equation so she doesn't catch me placing something into the tank.

On nights that my wife was home before me, I'd ask the LFS to not place too much water in the bag as it wouldn't fit in my briefcase. When I get home I place my briefcase next to the tank; I'd say darn that frag fell off the rock have to fix it, then quickly place new frag into tank; frags I don't acclimate.

When the wife would start to inspect my reef tank, she's say I don't remember those polyps? I'd respond, honey my corals are reproducing I'm getting lucky; she soon found out so it only works for the first set of corals.

During special occasions I ask her not to purchase anything extravagent for me, valentines, or birthdays, I say how about you take me to my favorite LFS and I pick something out; that works nicely, until she wants to take you out for dinner and you don't have a nice shirt; soon the wife spends on shoes and shirt, no LFS time for me :(

And the last classic excuse I use; I sell a $100 dollar item on Ebay spend $200 dollars, just tell her you are waiting for paypal to go through.

hehehe

MG

So it was our first anniversery. We didn't have a lot of money and my wonderful wife just happened to get a call from a time share deal in Tampa FL. She sets us up for an inexpensive little beach trip. We only have to listen to a 30min. pres and then say,"NO!" They would put us up for two nights in a water front hotel, and give us a breakfast.

Before we had left for the trip I noticed a good deal on LR outside of Tampa. I figure, we are going to be down there, I will order it and arrange to swing in and pick it up on the way home. My wife said that didn't sound like a problem.

To start with, we don't watch TV and had not payed enough attention to the weather. As we are driving South we notice very little traffic, but lots going North? "Huh thats strange." Then we get a call from my dad in VA, "Hey, are you guys bracing for the Hurricane?"

"Ah... no Dad, we decided to drive into it!"

Hotel was crap, place was empty and raining.

I am sure I don't have to tell you how the time share thing went!

Weather was turning bad so we left early, all around a complete bust...but I still have my new LR to look forward to!

So mapquest dropped us of in the middle of no where and we finally called for directions. We had passed the place 45min. earlier, so we turn around with a hurricane quickly moving in behind us. When we get there, there was only one service guy available and he was with two customers. I over here, "The tank guy tells us that our new 125g reef tank is cycled? so now we are here to fill it! We'll take one of these, no wait honey I want that one there its white bars are bigger, and that snail, no that one right there , how much did you say for 50 snails? Good then I want that one and that one right there...."

The guy told me that he would be with me in a couple of minutes. 30min later my wife went to the car. 45 min I checked on her. 1hr. I glanced out the window and she was reading a magazine. 1:30 min and I told the guy, I really need to go. 2hr my wife is burning holes through the wall of the FS with her eyes. 2hr30min I go out an explain that the guy is all alone but I'm next to be helped and really need to pick up the LR, she says that she is hungry. "I'll just be a few more minutes." 2hr and 45min I am helped. I had already spoted a few pieces I wanted and said I will take these. 3hr 45min, he is done showing me every piece of rock in the place despite my pleas that my wife is in the car. 4hr, I check on my wife and she is crying. I am at the counter now ready to pay, when an elderly gentleman in overalls walks in with a 65w PC bulb and says "It don't work anymore, I have had it for a few months and now it don't work! I don't have a reciept and I want a new one!" I am looking out the window and pacing infront of the counter. When they get ready to ring me up they can't figure out how to take my money at the register and have it show up paid on ebay. Now there are two guys. One notices my wife in the car crying "Sorry bra, you look like you're in trouble. Is she OK?" I say that she hadn't expected to wait so long and that she told me 2 hrs earlier that she was hungry. The guy in the back office trying to figure out the ebay thing yells, "Hey dude, I've got a power bar she can have if you think it will help?"

"We're so far past the power bar at this point, I just need my s**t rung up" I know I looked like I was about to cry and was desperate and they both frantically worked at the computer as I know they felt my pain.

It was a long 5 hr drive home, and the LR was awesome!

Morale of this tale: Never plan a "quick visit" to a FS on or around any significant event with your lover...because coral can't keep your warm at night!

That's a long time to make her wait, man!

Seriously, my guts twisted up just reading that. Must have really sucked for both of you. (I've done similar to family and loved ones, heh.. -_-:huh: )

So it was our first anniversery. We didn't have a lot of money and my wonderful wife just happened to get a call from a time share deal in Tampa FL. She sets us up for an inexpensive little beach trip. We only have to listen to a 30min. pres and then say,"NO!" They would put us up for two nights in a water front hotel, and give us a breakfast.

Before we had left for the trip I noticed a good deal on LR outside of Tampa. I figure, we are going to be down there, I will order it and arrange to swing in and pick it up on the way home. My wife said that didn't sound like a problem.

To start with, we don't watch TV and had not payed enough attention to the weather. As we are driving South we notice very little traffic, but lots going North? "Huh thats strange." Then we get a call from my dad in VA, "Hey, are you guys bracing for the Hurricane?"

"Ah... no Dad, we decided to drive into it!"

Hotel was crap, place was empty and raining.

I am sure I don't have to tell you how the time share thing went!

Weather was turning bad so we left early, all around a complete bust...but I still have my new LR to look forward to!

So mapquest dropped us of in the middle of no where and we finally called for directions. We had passed the place 45min. earlier, so we turn around with a hurricane quickly moving in behind us. When we get there, there was only one service guy available and he was with two customers. I over here, "The tank guy tells us that our new 125g reef tank is cycled? so now we are here to fill it! We'll take one of these, no wait honey I want that one there its white bars are bigger, and that snail, no that one right there , how much did you say for 50 snails? Good then I want that one and that one right there...."

The guy told me that he would be with me in a couple of minutes. 30min later my wife went to the car. 45 min I checked on her. 1hr. I glanced out the window and she was reading a magazine. 1:30 min and I told the guy, I really need to go. 2hr my wife is burning holes through the wall of the FS with her eyes. 2hr30min I go out an explain that the guy is all alone but I'm next to be helped and really need to pick up the LR, she says that she is hungry. "I'll just be a few more minutes." 2hr and 45min I am helped. I had already spoted a few pieces I wanted and said I will take these. 3hr 45min, he is done showing me every piece of rock in the place despite my pleas that my wife is in the car. 4hr, I check on my wife and she is crying. I am at the counter now ready to pay, when an elderly gentleman in overalls walks in with a 65w PC bulb and says "It don't work anymore, I have had it for a few months and now it don't work! I don't have a reciept and I want a new one!" I am looking out the window and pacing infront of the counter. When they get ready to ring me up they can't figure out how to take my money at the register and have it show up paid on ebay. Now there are two guys. One notices my wife in the car crying "Sorry bra, you look like you're in trouble. Is she OK?" I say that she hadn't expected to wait so long and that she told me 2 hrs earlier that she was hungry. The guy in the back office trying to figure out the ebay thing yells, "Hey dude, I've got a power bar she can have if you think it will help?"

"We're so far past the power bar at this point, I just need my s**t rung up" I know I looked like I was about to cry and was desperate and they both frantically worked at the computer as I know they felt my pain.

It was a long 5 hr drive home, and the LR was awesome!

Morale of this tale: Never plan a "quick visit" to a FS on or around any significant event with your lover...because coral can't keep your warm at night!

ouch, at least you and your fine is still alive =D and you got what you wanted

oh and I thought that I made my wife wait a while in the store. Sorry about having such a bad anniversary. What are your plans for making up for it? A cruise is always good.

Archived