inTank Media Baskets

Another 40B on N-R.com...

jeremai

th_tankie177.jpg

th_tankie176.jpg

Can someone please point out the obvious reason as to why the output on my CL is barely noticeable? Both the drain and the return are 3/4" PVC.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You people are killing me. Ok, I'm changing the plumbing tomorrow, to another setup I think will work. Since I don't know what's wrong with this one, it's a shot in the dark. I'd ask you to wish me luck, but apparently no one reads this anyway :)

Im not sure why it wouldnt be moving much water. I guess it could be that you have a lot of 90 degree elbows which do cut down flow by a bit. maybe try shortening the length of the return plumbing and use some 45 degrees or flex tubing.

LOL im here if it helps

I cant help with pluming

I can say that this will be worth it though and after all its only $

Hehe. Close to $1k, and it's not even going to be a reef tank for another year... ;)

But hey, the base rock looks hot (I'll get some photos of the aquascaping tomorrow), and the mixed sand is all kinds of sexy :naughtydance:

WOW 1K!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can start a 90g for that What u buy?

Hmm, let me think...

Tank - $40

CustomFlo Plumbing Kit - $50

Quiet One 4000 - Free ($88 value, POS)

Pentair Aquatics Mechanical Filter - Free ($50 value, useless)

CPR In-Tank Fuge - $40 (think I'll use it?)

SeaChem Salt (case of 3) - $32.50

Coralife Super Skimmer - $90

36" Current USA Single Satellite - $95

Water (60 gallons @ $.89/ea) - $55

Random Crap (plumbing, etc.) - $50

So, $450 actual. I was looking at my order history for Marine Depot, but I forgot I spent a lot of money on my 10 gallon salt and my 15H fresh, too :)

Ok, I got all the base rock in and arranged. We'll see how long it stays this way. The tank was clear, now it's cloudy and smelling funky - I don't even have the LR in there yet, and it's already cycling. Next week I'll scour the local shops for about 15 pounds of LR rubble, to fill in the cracks and seed all this great base rock.

The tank is viewable from two sides, that's why all the rock is congregated on the right. Plus, it's better feng shui this way ;) Let me know what you think.

th_tankie180.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

AAH! HAIR ALGAE!!

Just kidding, it's not so bad. Tank is maturing well, no problems as of yet, except those pesky microbubbles from my skimmer...

Nice tank! I'm diggin the aquascape..keep us updated with those FTS :)

Thanks. Tank looks a lot better now (hmm... clearer water, little more rock, lots of colorful algae, hehe). I'll snap a shot and post it later tonite.

Now, if I could only decide on my fish choices...

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, update. Not much to report. Made a new canopy, which now holds one 96w 10k PC, one 39w 6500K T5, and one 39w Blue+ T5. Lots of hair algae and cyano - waiting for them to subside. All that's in there right now are a few zoanthids from my old tank, lots of snails, and a fighting conch from Central America.

th_Picture002.jpg

Perpetual98

I'm running three Quiet One 4000's at home and they're all working fine for me. One is on one of my 120's as the sump-return and the other two are on my other 120, one as a sump-return and one on a closed loop. The one on the closed loop creates brutal sand-storms and it's even going through a SCWD. I had to point the outputs at the glass or it got too messy in the tank.

I'm running three Quiet One 4000's at home and they're all working fine for me. One is on one of my 120's as the sump-return and the other two are on my other 120, one as a sump-return and one on a closed loop. The one on the closed loop creates brutal sand-storms and it's even going through a SCWD. I had to point the outputs at the glass or it got too messy in the tank.

See? And I have a Quiet One 4000 on a closed loop, and the ghetto PetsMart powerhead moves more water. I'm still confused about that.

Perpetual98

Weird. I think you can get replacement impellers for the Quiet Ones for around $10. Might be worth a shot. Someone I know had an impeller crack due to sand getting sucked into the pump.

Weird. I think you can get replacement impellers for the Quiet Ones for around $10. Might be worth a shot. Someone I know had an impeller crack due to sand getting sucked into the pump.

Awesome, I'll look around. Thanks :)

Update with pictures please! I am starting my 40project after exams. I'd like to see more recent pics :)

pictures!!!

(sigh) i'd love to start my 40B but i'm having a hard time convincing the lady to let me spend $2000 on a new tank. :bling:

I'm getting there, guys - computer troubles at home; if it weren't for my Treo, I don't know what I would do.

Not much to report, though - just a bunch of rocks covered with GHA, a few astreas, two turbos, and an unidentified conch.

nice lookin skimmate jeremai

Thanks. That skimmer is a God-send - I couldn't imagine running this thing without it. It's wierd, though - that photo was taken with no livestock, just some snails. Now that I have the conch and a lawnmower blenny, it's actually producing less skimmate. I've been running Purigen from day one, so it's not that. Driving me nuts, though.

I'll get some new photos posted soon. I was in a pretty bad rock climbing accident on Friday, so I'm still recuperating. :)

dont think I read it anywhere sorry if i did but are you using the Coralife Super Skimmer 65? Im thinking about getting one of these for a 40 that I set up but was wondering what size to get. Thanks.

dont think I read it anywhere sorry if i did but are you using the Coralife Super Skimmer 65? Im thinking about getting one of these for a 40 that I set up but was wondering what size to get. Thanks.

I am, and I wish I had gone one size larger - I'm emptying the cup at about half full, about once a week. But they are great skimmers, especially for the price. Whisper quiet.

thanks...made up my mind for me than. Cant wait to see pictures of you tank, I start on of these thread one of these days for mine. Thanks again

Archived