Pod Your Reef

lgreen's 58g Oceanic Reef

lgreen

Lgreen, the tank is 36 wide and 18 deep? I am seriously looking into purchasing this tank here insocal but you had problems aquascaping? Something else wrong with this tank or what??? I had a 90g bowfront that was 48x12 (bowed to 16) x 29 which was a pain in the arse to aquascape, I was dreaming of a tank with this footprint. Was it just not enough sandbed or what?

Thanks.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yep. mostly it was probably just me. For me it is just easier to scape longer tanks rather than have to deal w/ depth additionally.

the 40g breeder is very similar, except a few inche shorter, and many people on this site have done awesome jobs aquascaping them. so it is possible.

really I just suck at aquascaping, so if you have any ability to aquascape, you probably wont have a problem.

having the overflow dead center on the back wall of the tank did create a little difficulty too.

Quick Question. Once you remove the PH and uptake tube [as per the instructions you link to] What is the purpose of the space after the PH is removed? Or is it best to leave the PH running, contrary to those instructions?

The powerhead just speeds up the seeding of the plenum. The instructions say to remove the powerhead after nitrates read zero.

You want to remove the powerhead after that. Otherwise it is not a plenum, but only an undergravel filter.

Plenums work by creating a very oxygen poor zone in the plenum space. If you have a power head going, or the plenum not caped of where the powerhead was, it can not create that zone and wont work.

The powerhead just speeds up the seeding of the plenum. The instructions say to remove the powerhead after nitrates read zero.

You want to remove the powerhead after that. Otherwise it is not a plenum, but only an undergravel filter.

Plenums work by creating a very oxygen poor zone in the plenum space. If you have a power head going, or the plenum not caped of where the powerhead was, it can not create that zone and wont work.

So instead of just removing the tube [and most likely having sand fall down in the hole, you can just cap off the tube. I might have this kind of refugium on my tank.

Well, mine was built so that the tube is removed and a cap is placed below the sand so you can't see it. But yeah, that would be fine too.

This is actually not really a refugium, but just a plenum. I put the plenum in my sump, and then will be building a cheato/gracellaria prop system (refugium) on top of this using some small kitchen size rubber maid containers and some 12" 18w pc hoods. It is kind of complicated but I'll post pics when I finally finish it.

Snoop, still waiting to figure out if I will be keeping the display portion of this tank or switching to another tank. Either way all the equipment and filtration techniques will stay the same.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived