Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

lgreen's 58g Oceanic Reef

lgreen

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Lgreen,

Your tank looks like it will blow away many other tanks off the spectrum in terms of design and planning.

I love oceanic tanks and so when I saw you choose this line I was on your thread.

With the fish bioload, you will be okay, trust me, I talk from experience and not from the old saying, "I heard that's too many fish syndrome".

I run a total of twenty fish in my 72 gallon reef, seven of which are tangs; I've run this tank now for half a year with zero fish casualities except for a yosha goby that didn't make the transfer.

The only real battle I have is with trates and that's because I'm trying to grow Acros; oh which are extremely difficult regardless of how prestine your water conditions are.

Anyways, great choice in fish, make sure you get them really, really, small, that is what I did, it allows them to hide in the live rock and warm up to you in time; watching them grow from babies to medium size is really rewarding.

Mike G

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why is there so much water in the sump? I would think that when the pumps turn off, there would be a little spilling over in the sump.

Just temp. I will take it down several inches. I put in more water than I needed just to be safe, knowing it would be easier to take extra water out than have to wait to mix up new water if I didn't have enough.

Thanks Cesar and mikeguerrero.

Your 72g oceanic bowfront is awesome mike!!

Rock is in, another FTS in a few minutes.

It is still kind of cloudy, haven't whiped the sand debry from the glass yet. Not too bad for just throwing it in there and not trying really.

fts2.JPG

btw, lgreen... i don't understand your method of plumbing. maybe i'm missing something here, but if u have those 2 outlets joined together to form an "o" aren't you essentially reducing flow on the outputs? please help me see the method to your plumbing

manifoldreturns.JPG

lol

I too am wondering the method to the maddness on the design of this "thing" if you needed to back off flow you could have gotton a gate valve. you really should rethink the use of this "thingy" you came up with. plug in the calculations over at rc with the head loss calculator for what you have then plug them in again without that "thing" and you may be suprised.

psst. the "thing" sure is pretty though

Mistake number 1:

the thingy.

Sounded good, a few people suggested it was a good idea, instinctively I thought there was no reason for it, i dont know why i did it.

I might redo it.

Mistake number 2:

Messed up the dursos. Made them same size pipe as bulkheads. Ooops. Got to redo those too.

One of these days I will get this down. First time plumbing a tank, so bound to be a few mistakes.

New fish! (3 days ago, ha ha)

-Whiteray Shrimp Goby (Yasha Haze) [stonogobiops yasha]

-Blackray Shrimp Goby (male) [stonogobiops nematodes]

-Blackray Shrimp Goby (female) [stonogobiops nematodes]

-Sixline Wrasse [Pseudocheilinus hexataenia]

The blackray shrimp gobies are a pair. Saw them at my store hanging out in the same hole for the last two weeks. Brought them home and they lost each other for the first day, but when I looked this morning, they were back together in the same hole.

Tried to get pics for 3 days, but it's not going well. Sony digital cameras sure do suck for taking pictures of anything in the fish tank. Works great for taking pics of the fish tank, but not upclose shots of coral or fish. I'll keep trying.

New fish! (3 days ago, ha ha)

-Whiteray Shrimp Goby (Yasha Haze) [stonogobiops yasha]

-Blackray Shrimp Goby (male) [stonogobiops nematodes]

-Blackray Shrimp Goby (female) [stonogobiops nematodes]

-Sixline Wrasse [Pseudocheilinus hexataenia]

The blackray shrimp gobies are a pair. Saw them at my store hanging out in the same hole for the last two weeks. Brought them home and they lost each other for the first day, but when I looked this morning, they were back together in the same hole.

Tried to get pics for 3 days, but it's not going well. Sony digital cameras sure do suck for taking pictures of anything in the fish tank. Works great for taking pics of the fish tank, but not upclose shots of coral or fish. I'll keep trying.

S. dracula>2x S. nematode+ S. yasha.

Please refrain from adding a pistol shrimp. It has a tendency to localize the gobies and makes them a little jittery. Well the nematodes are gonna be shy either way.

Finally some descent shots. Figured out the trick. Had to change the camera to "bright" light mode, change the ISO to 100, and use the flash. Still not the best shots, but getting better. Solved the "blue" problem at least.

Sixline Wrasse:

sixlinewrasse.JPG

Male Blackray Shrimp Goby

blackraygobymale.JPG

Female Blackray and Yasha Haze haven't been brave enough to show their face long enough for a pic. Still trying though.

I think if i put the ISO back on Auto, or raise it back up a bit, the shots will turn out a little better.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi,

I finished school on wednesday, then had to work all day thrusday. I'm beat and plan on laying on my ass and doing nothing for the next week.

jmt, you should have pm'ed me. We could have rigged it.

adin, of course you lost. ps, got a job yet?

Thanks pico1.

I sold my lights 3 weeks ago, so my tank is being run by a 15w 20" standard fluorescent light until I decide what I am doing.

No shrimp w/ gobies yet. I'm poor. In fact nothing new yet, reason: I'm poor. Still haven't even payed off the damn calcium reactor! (or set it up for that matter! damn i'm lazy).

I'm still waiting to see for sure, but one of our family members just got done using my old 55g tank so I might be transfering things over to that and selling this tank. That will have an impact of my lighting choice so I'm waiting to see. I'm really not happy with the dimensions of my tank...I wanted something longer and shallower but stupidly didn't realize it at the time. This tank has been a terror to aquascape. Ideally, I think a 33gL would be perfect, but since I already have this 55g ready to go, I might give it a shot. The other option might be to sell all of these tanks and get back to simpler times w/ a 20L or something. I don't know yet--and don't really give a crap at the second.

Anyway....back to laying on me arse.

Archived