Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Feeding Kenya Tree Coral (Capnella)

JimFitz66

I read that Kenya Tree Coral (Capnella) doesn't rely entirely on light to obtain its food and needs to be fed additional supplement food...I'm unclear on what to feed this coral...Can anyone suggest what I might be able to pick up at my local fish store to feed the coral

Thanks

is the capnella doing poorly? or not growing? 'cause if it's growing i wouldn't bother feeding it as it's probably getting enough food from the existing plankton in the water.

if it's doing poorly i'd check your water and lighting first. capnella will shrivel rather than just collapse from starvation.

you should be careful feeding in nanos (target or ambient) as there are a lot less filter feeders available to consume the extras due to the obvious lower surface areas available. a healthy and balanced system can also provide ample food sources thru reproduction and digestion cycles (supplements can also be good tho).

feed it? mine is growing like crazy and I rarely put anything into the tank, with the exception of the random chem boost and my big fat hands (knocking stuff around is really my hobby, reef keeping just facilitates it).

Originally posted by MaryHM

Any liquid invert food would be fine. DT's phytoplankton seems to be a popular brand.

yup. try the soda bottle feeding method.

Originally posted by Crakeur

is the capnella doing poorly? or not growing? 'cause if it's growing i wouldn't bother feeding it as it's probably getting enough food from the existing plankton in the water.

if it's doing poorly i'd check your water and lighting first. capnella will shrivel rather than just collapse from starvation.

Originally posted by Crakeur

feed it?  mine is growing like crazy and I rarely put anything into the tank, with the exception of the random chem boost and my big fat hands (knocking stuff around is really my hobby, reef keeping just facilitates it).

I agree with tinyreef and Crakeur. Capnella was my first coral (well besides the hitchhiker shrooms on my LR) and I had no problems with them besides having them outgrow my 2.5 and then becoming my first coral frags :)

Archived