Pod Your Reef

2.8 pico with overflow DIY

Ishtar

About two years ago the obsession of the picture perfect reef began. This last month my apartment leasing center decided that my well established tank had to go. My guess is they did not like the look of the 20 gallon sump with all the plumbing to the main tank. 30 days without a reef means no form of therapy in my life.(or lots of time staring with mouth open) I decided a few days back I needed some sort of reef in my life. That's when I came up with the idea of a pico tank I can conceal if need be. I work from home and decided a desktop tank would be perfect...

This last weekend I started to fabricate an overflow for my 2.8 pico.

I intend on the overflow doubling as a surface skimmer (very important especially for a pico) and a refugium. I found these micro jet pumps on MD..com they will be my two return pumps.

With only 2.8 gallons to work with I want nothing but reef to show in the tank. ie. powerheads, heaters, HOB.

I will post pics of the tank and the acrylic fabrication Tuesday afternoon.

hope to hear some good input.

Thanks

post-18391-1139351642_thumb.jpgpost-18391-1139351582_thumb.jpgpost-18391-1139351651_thumb.jpgpost-18391-1139351662_thumb.jpgpost-18391-1139351670_thumb.jpgpost-18391-1139351679_thumb.jpgpost-18391-1139351689_thumb.jpg

Looks great! I was thinking about something similar with a 2.7 I just ordered so I will be looking out for updates. Where did you get your material?....If you don't mind helping a guy out.

I got the tank from my lfs which buys from this guy in Sacramento ca http://www.catalinaaquarium.com/product_in...roducts_id=1340

the tank looks good and it is a 2.7

The next step is installing my two return pumps.. I just drilled the wholes out and tomorrow I will receive the pumps and get some water running.

I could not believe that tap plastics sold me two sheets of 12 X 15 inch acrylic for only 75 cents. They wanted $7.00 a cut so I did all the cuts myself.

OK, ya, thats the same tank I am waiting for I bought it direct from CA, I couldn't find in the description if it is glass or acrilyc. Did you cut it on a table saw? I can't wait to see how it all turns out. When i start work on mine i will post pics.

You may want to open up the spacing on the overflow, it looks a bit narrow. Otherwise decent job on the bends. Wood forms & a heat gun is what I use as well.

It was a lot of fun. You bring up a great point, but i think the amount of surface the water has to overflow will be great enough. Only one way to find out... And I will let you now tomorrow night once I get my pump shipment from MD.com

Thanks

the overflow will act as sort of a closed loop with some algea and live rock for extra nutrent export and filtration. its gonna be so awsome you will all want one. i know i do.

Hah! I just asked about materials and for an update in the thread about the tank...I should have looked first.

I'll eventually do pretty much the same thing (that is, steal your idea), but can't you bend the sheet plastic without heat? I've done it with Lexan (which is polycarbonate, not acrylic). I'm a mechanical engineer and we have a machine shop here, so I thought I'd just bend it up on the sheet metal brake. Cutting all those slots will be fun. I agree that they'll probably have to be wider.

Good luck with everything!

I just made them wider. lol. The flow is incredable i have some pics i will post shortly. As far as bending, I know that the stuff i bought would have cracked. When I was drilling the holes it felt like I was close to cracking it a couple of times

So I want to do my rock work today. I was thinking doing a reef wall across the back but I am having trouble getting any adhesives to work with the rock. They stick to the tank fine, not the rock. I have tried aquarium epoxy and it just is not cutting it. Egg crate is to thick and I will loose to much display room. Now I am thinking I am stuck stacking my rockwork, and I am bad at aquascaping. Any suggestions?

my temp is staying lower than my previous 2.5

under my 20w

77.8 lights off

79.9 lights on

old tank

82.6 off

85.8 on

Probably because of the over flow

I hope I can keep these temps with the halide and fan I am working on

Hollar-

So my light is set up and ready to mount! Tomorrow I am cutting the top of my desk to make hingded opening for tank access from above. Here is a pic of my old set up which is being replaced by this project. You can see I will be mounting everything so it fits in a cubie in my desk shelf. The second pic is the 70W MH 20K.post-18391-1139971986_thumb.jpgpost-18391-1139971995_thumb.jpg

Archived