SaltCritters.com

How much crap does your aquaC skimmer (urchin or remora) pull?

jafoca

I just upgraded my pump on my urchin pro to a 540 GPH hydor seltz because i wasn't skimming well at all.

I have some improvement, but i was expecting the cup to fill up a litttle and it doesnt!

Am i just too hopefull?

I collect anywhere from 1/4" to 3/4" of nasty green/brown skimmate a day. I have an Urchin with the Maxi-Jet 1200 in the sump of my 29.

10" Red Devil
I just upgraded my pump on my urchin pro to a 540 GPH hydor seltz because i wasn't skimming well at all.

I have some improvement, but i was expecting the cup to fill up a litttle and it doesnt!

Am i just too hopefull?

Remoras are good, but now that I have used a ASM G-1 (Euroreef knock-off) I will never ever go back to Remora. I will especially avoid hang-on models of any skimmer.

NEVER SATISFIED REFFER

well i had the urchin, i upgraded the pump to a rio 2100, the first 4 days, it was a full cup, then it stopped as well, just skimming a little. which was better than with that soooo under powered maxi.

Now I have a ER 5-2, it wet skims a full cup every 2 days. SPS are going crazy. I still need to do the gate valve mod, which will get me better control over how wet it is.

If your trying to save, asm the way to go, same preformance.

it all comes down to your needs though, if no sps then the urchin or remora is the best. My urchin did put out a lot more microbubbles with the bigger pump, so i only see it working best on ur sump.

im not pulling neerly as much skimmate as that.... any ideas how to make it skim better? if i make sure its exactly level will that help? Thanks

how big are these asm skimmers? my sump was designed for the remora pro (because I was under the impression that that was allready a way better skimmer than I needed...

NEVER SATISFIED REFFER

2 hrs of skimming with rio 2100.

in one day...

myreef1088.jpg

DSCN0023.jpg

after it pulled all that out there just wasn't much else to skim for it. Also the cup had to be as high as i could getr it. if u want anymore preformance than that, its gonna take a pin wheel skimmer.

Well, im running a hydor seltz L35 pump on my urchin. It does 450 gph.

This is more than the mag 3 which is the reccomended pump for the urchin pro. The most skimmate I can get is like 1/8th inch after 2 days.

I have a mag 7 taht I am not using at the moment, should I rig that up (with a valve...)? Would require some funky plumbing, and putting the pump and skimmer in separate chambers of my sump...

Search for my posts on reefcentral. I tricked out a few Remora's to compare them against my Deltec MCE600 which is probably the best HOB skimmer you can buy. The net is the Remora especially if modified is a decent skimmer although as other posters noted - HOB's in general will limit you.

Modifications you can do to improve your Remora or Remora Pro.

The elbow mod - see my 12g it has a Pro with a Mag 5 with elbow mod.

Updated riser cup for the bigger pumps, Jason will sell you a custom cup.

Bigger pumps, I've used up to a Mag 7 on a pro, and a Mag 3 on a standard.

melbourne - My skimmer is an urchin, not HOT

I can't find your posts on RC.. search is down of course...

Idunno what I should do... maybe I just need to clean the spraybar or somthing. Would a coralife super skimmer be better? (it fits in my sump..)

I'm using a remora with the mod in this link.

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...8&hl=remora+mod

It made a significant difference in bubble/skimmate production. Also if my maxijet1200 hasn't been cleaned in a while it really cripples the performance.

I hooked up a mag 5 to it as an experiement (hooked right up, no mods) and it stripped my tank of nutrients in about 2 days.

I plan to switch over to the CSS when I get my new sump. Best bang for buck IMO and outskims the Remora/Urchin.

With my remora the first few weeks it pulled a lot of thick green/brown gunk out, Now it pulls it out but not as much , I empty the cup maybe twice a month between cleanings. Granted I keep up with my water changes and I suspect that the drop in performance is the fact that there is not that much to skim out anymore. Weekly testing of Nitrates seems to confirm this.

Archived