Pod Your Reef

new pics of 20g reef

cal3v

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I add 3 teaspoons of kalk per 3 gallons of water. I let it settle and then I use it, I just use the same bucket and turn the powerhead sideways so it doesnt suck up direct kalk too much. That green valve is on the end of the air line tubing where I drip baking soda from a container, or ocassionally calcium from.

Updated tank pic, I removed the yellow torch because it was getting too large and might have stung the other corals. btw that is a huge bubble algae in the front lol, I plucked it from the back of my tank.

Also for any of those without an algae scraper, I found a neat way to clean the tank. Get a disposable razor and chop off the guard so that the blade can go flush with the glass without the guard in the way. It makes a great glass scraper, and if you want to make it longer you can stick a chopstick in the handle of the razor.

Anybody wanting comparison here was a pic of my tank from back in December 1. Also my tank temp is 80-82 and I run the actinics and halides 12 hrs per day on a timer.

There is a lot going on in there.Very nice m8,It seems a little deceptive from the first shot,you could mistake this for being a much larger tank.Apart from the 6 liner and power head!!!!

Awsome m8.Cheers,Dave.

Hi all I am probably going to connect a small clear rubbermaid next to the tank to make use of the rays of the mh that are shooting out the side of the reflector. I'll make it a fuge and see how that goes. Anybody know where to get bulkheads cheap local in CA?

Just added a 3 gallon acrylic fuge to the tank. I had a hang on back wet/dry and decided to drill it and plumb it to the tank. It should get good growth with a 32w pc and the light coming off the mh.

What kind of ballast are you using? I am sooooo torn between going with a cheaper magnetic ballast rather than the 139.99 electronic ballast from hellolights.com. But if you are using the electronic one....I just might have to do it your way...you have amazing results:)

I completely second that notion Glazer, that tank looks 25 times larger than what it is and I don't think you could possibly have picked a better aquascaping theme that what you are using. its 100% perfect. Wow.

Thanks Brandon. I tried to make "shelves" where I could set corals, and slopes etc so that it would look natural. The rock isn't really "packed" either, its got a lot of open space imbetween and in the back of the tank, there is like a mini refuge, like a network of caves in the back. The fuge is cool, I am getting more micro life and macroalgae growing and the tank is looking good. I can take a pic of the fuge if anybody is interested.

Damn, have lost a few corals in a bout with the sloughing of tissue. I traced it down to a low salinity, as there was a leak I didn't notice and the top of kept water up but lowered salinity. sadly, no more pink acro, green slimer, green table, dark stag, and purple secale. :(

Archived