Top Shelf Aquatics

SCWD on crack DIY

Undertheradar

I got my cleanout adapter+plug at Lowes. It'll likely be with the sewer pipe.

Not sure what you need the weldon for... Another project? The "All Purpose PVC Glue" in the red tin will glue the fittings to the SCWD housing without fail. You probably will have to find it online if you want it.

Glad to hear you put the squeeze on your SCWD! B) I might be doing the same things soon. For some reason my SCWD is emitting a sound that is a cross between a scratch and a screech when it is running. Had to unplug my closed loop :(

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have to stop at Lowes tonight for some other things anyway, so I'll see if I can find the ABS.

So you don't think the Weld-On is necessary for this project? Just looking back at UTR's posts with Weld-On and your post with the GOOP, it seemed that most people were looking to reinforce their seams. After doing a google search on Weld-On #16, I found that a lot of reefers keep this product in their toolboxes just in case... seems like the best product for water-tight bonding of plastics. So, when using the 2" cleanout adapter, does the overhang still allow enough surface area to bond the fitting with the SCWD body?

If you have to "put the squeeze" on your SCWD, I recommend using a pair of channel-locks. This makes it VERY easy to pull everything out... one hand to squeeze the cannel-locks, one hand to pull out the "machinery". Mine didn't take much force at all, but you might want to use a towel around you SCWD to prevent teeth marks from the channel-locks in the SCWD body.

So you don't think the Weld-On is necessary for this project?

Not "necessary" but perhaps useful. If you don't want to wait for it to be shipped to you, you know you have options.

The loctite was just a stopgap; it doesn't solvent-weld like the weldons and PVC cements do. The weldon/PVC cement is for strength in bonding and the loctite was just to be sure it was watertight.

So, when using the 2" cleanout adapter, does the overhang still allow enough surface area to bond the fitting with the SCWD body?

There is more than enough material there to join with. The overhang looks more severe from the outside.

If you have to "put the squeeze" on your SCWD, I recommend using a pair of channel-locks.

I don't know where mine are. :( I may try using a pair of vicegrips if I can't borrow a pair.

• 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...

Sorry to bring back a old thread but maybe i'm missing the point but why is everyone changing out the inlets and outlets? I can understand the cleanout top piece but if having a brand new one or even a older one what are the advantages of changing the inlets and outlets?

oh read thru the first post again but it's to up the flow correctly right??

Archived