Pod Your Reef

Yellow tang w/ ich?

Regal Tang

ok, i got a yellow tang for my neighbor so it will be a surprize when he gets home sunday...so i temporarily kept him in my 12 gallon (for 3 days) and i notice about 4 white spots on the tangs tail before i went to bed...and on his dorsal fin there was a bump the size of a salt grain but it looks like it burried into the fin(its covered in yellow)...also over night the tang must have scraped his guills on the rocks because now there is a white coloring!...anyways im afraid ich was on the tang at the store...and then he put it in my tank (i have no cleaner shrimp& cant afford one for a few weeks! and i also noticed that his fins(swimming/pectorial?) are discolored!

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

quarantine asap!

make sure water is on the cool side, and get a treatment.

if he dies. return it. they shouldn't be selling fish's with ich like that.

also might not be ich....hmmm.

but im more worried about his gills...because the only other fish the ich can get on in my tank is the freaking clown that bites my friggin hand(happened last night) and it cant get on martin the mandarin!

Im not sure why you would lower the temperature.... that is why many fish get sick.

cryptocaryon or oodinium are parasitic infections. they stem from the environment the fish is kept in, the stress related to such, and the immune system of the fish.

discoloration means poor health and poor feeding. that means lower immune system health.

parasitic infections mean the fish is stressed. test the water.

if youre houising the fish in a 12 gallon tank, it's stressing out becasue it cant move like it usaed to in the wild. its not noraml and thus is stressful.

my guess is that the fish wasnt healthy to begin with, the stress of the improper envionment and probably lack of a cycled tank caused the outbreak.

bigger tank, better food, better water qulaity is the only fix. only if you fix those will any medication ( drug or cleaner shrimp) be of use. throwing a cleaner shrimp in a tank too small for evben the fish will not help your situation in the slightest.

word of advise, never buy fish for people. always buy gift cards.

ok, lol his tank is cycled just to let you know sixs, anyway Regal.. why do you say your Mandrin cant get ich????? and dont you have a damsel he could get ich too all the fish in the tank are vulnerable to ich... anyway... quarentine and treat for ich, if thats what it is.. The disscoloration can be from stress, unproper nutrion, or if the tank is dark... the colors fade ;)

dont have money for a QT and i took damsel out of the tank...and i read that mandarins cant get ich...is this true...fishfreak dont respond!

Screw that get yourself a cleaner shrimp and stop worrying

If the fish is swimming and eating like usual you have nothing to worry about

Tangs are easily stressed but very resilient. My tang did the same thing when I first got it. It went away by itself in a few days with proper nutrition and stable conditions.

mandarins cannot get ich, they get Cryptocayon irritans :rolleyes: duh

they are more resiliant due to their strong and thick slime layer. thus is the reason why tangs are more suseptable.... they dont have much slime.

if you can afford a fish you should be able to house it appropriately. these fish, tangs, get sick all the time, they are called crypt magnets for a reason.

next time get an appropriate tank ready and read up on the fish before you buy it.

i dount the fish will live. sorry to be a bummer.

Your best option would not be to remove the fish as it will stress them even more and may potentially lead to death. I successfully kept my yellow tang in an 18g Wal-Mart tub for over a month waiting my 100g to cycle and it led to no ill effects, so I don’t think it would be stressing too much from a small tank. The tang is happily swimming around today.

lol i took the tang out of the tank and into a bag for like 2 hours and he got ###ed...i just didnt want the ich to spread...but i was planning to get a cleaner!

lol i took the tang out of the tank and into a bag for like 2 hours and he got ###ed...i just didnt want the ich to spread...but i was planning to get a cleaner!

hate to tell you, but cleaner shrimp don't solve the problem =( nor do cleaner wrasse or cleaner gobies or cleaner anything. YOu might get lucky and the tang may let the cleaner pick at them, but I have yet to see a fish completely rid itself of ich from a cleaner shrimp.

sure they'll help the animal fight it to a certain extent, but you're seriously not going to solve the problem just planning to get a cleaner. YOu can get QT tanks all setup for really cheap, like $30. I saw QT tank setups at my LFS for $25, came with a heater, filter, small PH, and tank. It also came with ich and other medicines. Great deal IMO.

tank is 2 1/2 months old and i dose "CYCLE" beneficial bacteria, and the water leves are all 0..although slinity is about 1.024 when it is normall 1.022!

here they are

Ammonia:0

Nitrate:0

Nitrite:0

Salinity:1.024

pH:8.3

so its not that but if only had the fish for like a day...so i bought him bad! so i guess i have to keep him!

tank is 2 1/2 months old and i dose "CYCLE" beneficial bacteria, and the water leves are all 0..although slinity is about 1.024 when it is normall 1.022!

here they are

Ammonia:0

Nitrate:0

Nitrite:0

Salinity:1.024

pH:8.3

so its not that but if only had the fish for like a day...so i bought him bad! so i guess i have to keep him!

Tangs can get stressed pretty easily...that small tank isn't going to help either...i would say just get him to your friends tank asap...If its big enough and has nice water quality...he should be fine in a few days.

"CYCLE"? hehe that, again, is not a sure thing to keep all things healthy. just dosing things really doesn't make up for the stability of your tank. If you're well cycled you'll be fine.

Though a tang in there is not fine. If I were you I would definately not have done what you did. I would've also QT'd the tang first. It's more expensive, but you have to take those steps in order to ensure you won't regret anything, and the complications you might get without QT. Complications can be more expensive in the long run. And if it's out of your budget, than this will be really difficult =(

But glad you're taking some measures

If you don't have any corals in there, lower the salinity and raise the temp. If you drop the temperature, it slows down the reproduction rate of the ich, so it stays on the fish longer - you have to wait for it to fall off in the substrate before you can kill it with medications.

Archived