inTank Media Baskets

just got a aiptasia eating nudi.

shiverband

my local shop called me and said they were

on there list so i got one ,might get another

tommorrow.

anybody have one or know anything about them?

hard to keep?,

let me know and post a pic if you have one

or send it to me at

cford@tconl.com

I have never heard of an aptasia eating nudi.??? If it works, let us know. Are you sure, I can't see a nudibranch eating an anenome, just doesn't seem right.

I've read a couple things about them, and from what I understand they are pretty easy to keep. You can keep them in a mason jar with no water movement and some water changes, and they will be cool.

here is a pic

http://www.reefsource.com/Species%20Databa..._nudibranch.htm

The problem with them is their only diet is Aiptasia. Once the Aiptasia is gone, they will be not soon after. You can probably sell them back to the LFS, so not a big problem.

Peppermints work well, especially if you dont have much livestock in your tank.

Cool, learn something new everyday. If they are for real, that would kick ass. I don't have any aiptasia in my tank but still would really like to be updated on how this goes. Cool, good luck.

Shiverband,

Concerning how many you should get is based on your tank size and extent of the aiptasia infestation. If you give me this information I'll help you determine how many Berghia you need.

OK, I originally withdrew one of my posts about MaryHM plugging the retail site, but now I take it back again, BTW nice Avatar.

So on the see it before I buy it page, do I click on Mary as my SALES REP or John? If you want people to see the site, give Chris some money and get a banner! I myself own several online retail sites, including an aquarium(marine, reef, etc.) site, but do not try to point everyone to them, its just not kosher. If your stuff and site itself is good, we will know and do the advertising for you by numerous recommendations as many on this site have gotten from members.

Pardon the outburst, it is just I have a couple old sites with old message boards that are just FLOODED with cheap advertisng ploys, and it drives me nuts! So here I vent. I come here to relax (believe it or not)

I agree with Liquid but I ain't going to rant on that aspect because, I don't think she was actually promoting herself as a sales rep. Sauer linked her site and she offered to determine the number needed to cure the tank of it's ills.

More importantly, I think the berghia is not a good solution. First off, if the nudi does it's job, you will then have to find more aiptasia for it or it will die. Second, there are other methods of ridding your tank of these pests that work just as well and won't put a slug's life in the balance solely because it did what it was expected to do.

There are chems for killing aiptasia.

Copperbands also will eat them.

Do a search and find other methods. Putting a nudibranch into your tank so that it will kill off everything it eats is great but then what do you plan on doing with the nudi?

while i agree chris should benefit (at least a little), mary is providing good info and is one of the only ols that tries to help the hobby rather than only profiting from it.

fwiw her site is the only place i've seen that carries that many different type of macros.

mary,

did you have another site before that one? i thought there was another one with you but there were only a couple of greens (ulvas etc.) on that one. those reds look cool! i'll definitely look into those soon but i couldn't find the link for the new gracilleria (sp?) tho.

btw apply for a banner.

;)

Originally posted by Crakeur

Sauer linked her site and she offered to determine the number needed to cure the tank of it's ills.

lol, had no idea. I just searched on google and posted the first site that had a pic.

still, I'd recommend the Peppermint. They cleared up my aiptasia real quick.

Geez, I didn't even realize that Sauer's link was that site. Well then, I could see a response from her on that behalf, of course. Oh, why bother, this is not my site and I really have nothing to say about it, nor should I, so the hell with it, more power to ya Mary.

Aah-harrrgh.

I had one of these guys as a hitchhiker (I had a pic in this thread) but now he's disappearo.

In the 2-3 days he was there, didn't touch the aiptasia (bout 4-5), but did end up eating a few other (desireable?) anenomes.

Shoot - the aiptasia farm is regrowing as I breathe.

For starters, reefsource.com is an educational site and place for our wholesale customers. I am an importer/wholesaler. The only people that can buy from the See It Before You Buy It page are retail pet shops that are our customers. I have been directing people to that website for over 3 years for various things. And since someone posted a link here to my species database I thought I would use the avatar I use over at reefs.org to try to get more people to contribute information to the database. No one here can purchase from reefsource, so what's the problem? No other board has ever had a problem with me promoting it in my signature and in posts for the past 3+ years. I would never buy a banner for reefsource because unfortunately there aren't a lot of LFS that frequent these boards, and they are the only people that could buy from reefsource. The only correalation between you guys and reefsource is that I hope you find the information useful and for God's sake contribute to the database!! I'm desperate!! I lost all of the contributions I had compiled over the past 3 years during a computer crash. I'm trying to rebuild the thing and your help would be greatly appreciated. In the interest of full disclosure, I do have a site for hobbyists, but I don't run around posting links to it. That would be commercially posting and I know better. And I have contacted Chris about a banner for that site, thank you very much :) Now that that's out of the way.....

are they hard to get to lay eggs?

Heck no! In fact, if you look at the picture sauer infamously ;) linked to you will see them with their egg cases

are they a-sexual or do they mate?

They mate

do you guys raise them?

No. But sometimes I get them from Morgan Lidster over at Inland Aquatics. Before anyone freaks out, I have no affliation with Inland other than being good friends with Morgan! :)

and how much do they sell for.

About $25 I think

Many hobbyists trade them back and forth- when they run out of aips they give/sell them to another hobbyist. That's a good alternative for them after they've served their purpose.

To answer tinyreef's question, no, reefsource was my first site. However I lost most of the species database several months back and not all of the pictures are up yet.

Originally posted by MaryHM

And since someone posted a link here to my species database I thought I would use the avatar I use over at reefs.org to try to get more people to contribute information to the database.  

Heh. Too much listening to political rallys - the thought of someone asking for a contribution of knowledge and not money didn't even cross my mind when I saw your avatar.

Wow, that's a new one: contribution=information and not contribution=money. Good for you MaryHM

John

LOL- And the use of the word contribution for money never even crossed mine! Your cynical nature is duly noted and the avatar has been changed ;) Careful, or people will start to think you're as jaded as I am!

Bear with me- one more off topic post...

The reason I have been frequenting this board lately is because I think I can actually lend some decent advice on livestock. I'm normally on reefs.org and reefcentral.com- before someone even hits the submission button with a question 5 people post a response! This board is a little less frequented and hopefully I can be of some use other than "yeah, what the other 18 people said"!

if I wanted to breed these guys how would I create a large aptasia population?

I figure you get a big ass tank and fill it with base rock and a fuge with a supply of aptasia. anyone got any ideas?

Christ.. I have a LFS that sells it as "anemone rock"... it wouldn't take much to find aiptasia at an LFS... this one at the mall has a 60g tank with stand and hood with everything inside.. 90% of it is aiptasia.. HUGE man-eating aiptasia!.. they're selling it for "Originally $1,099.. now only $799!"

I'm not sure how often these guys have to be fed.. daily? weekly? If weekly you could keep rubble in the fuge to grow the aipstasia.. then pull a rock to stick in the main tank... then swap it with another rock the following week..

I have a feeling they're like dragonets in the effect that they need a large tank to perpetuate it's food source dynamically...

yeah, that's what I am thinking. i know aiptasia loves phosphates so if I got a good population going adding phosfate wouldn't be bad because it would be taken by the aptASIA BEfore algae could use it. how exactly could I DOSE phosphate? I also wouldn't have nitrate problems. it seem like a fun project.

If I remember my chemistry class correctly.. isn't phosphate in it's solid state extremely flamible when it reacts with O2? No idea how you'd even dose it..

There are lots of human supplements out there that have phosphate in them.. but I wouldn't dare use them in a tank.. I have no idea how you'd purposefully increase the phosphate in your tank...

Archived