inTank Media Baskets

Official NOOB.. starting 2 gal pico...

Steeltowndubber

The reason your tank didn't cycle much is because you didn't have a big source of ammonia. Stick a piece of dead shrimp in there and see what happens. Having this ammonia spike won't kill the hermits, but it will increase your bacteria population, thereby decreasing the "mini-cycle" when/if the fish comes in. Good luck!. It's nifty!

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
Steeltowndubber

Update time... unfortunately I don't have any new pics at the moment. My GF took the digi camera with her to Cuba for the week... leaving me at home with the dogs... nice eh? :)

So I picked up a blue neon goby last week. This little guys is one heck of a little fish. Very active and eats like a pig.

No spike in the levels at all over the last week since adding the little guys.. I've been testing the water params every evening after work at and the Ammonia/Nitrite/Nitrate levels are all at zero.

Once I have new pics I'll post them up.

Rich

• 2 weeks later...
Steeltowndubber

oK, Here we go.... an update with Pics..

The Neon Goby, still without a name

IMG_0487.jpg

IMG_0488.jpg

IMG_0475.jpg

With is cleaner shrimp buddy

IMG_0499.jpg

The not so happy Ricordia, think I had him too close to the lights at the top... just moved him to the sand today...

IMG_0479.jpg

GSP

IMG_0481.jpg

IMG_0483.jpg

Steeltowndubber

So I had a little misshap yesterday. Nothing happened to the tank but a misshap none the less. I had pulled out my test kit on Monday evening, and sure enough my clumsiness took hold. I broke 3 out of 4 glass test vials. So now I'm only left with one. What a pain in the !*%. So now I've got to go shopping for single test vials. It sure is a nuisance to test water with only one test vial. GGRRRRR.

I use a fastest kit, and it's vials are made of plastic, you might want to look into those..

As for the AC200, I wouldn't use the sponge. If you want to get rid of particulate mater, get a bag of carbon or purigen. I replaced the filter media of my AC20 with a little bit of sand/coral rubble, a bag of purigen in the middle, and some filter floss on the top..

Ricky@3rdshift

Ok maybe I missed it but did you upgade the lighting at all? Also you mentioned the tank was a 2 gallon, it looks identical to my 1 gallon tank. I bought it from Petco. I now have 2 of the lights on top and also purchased the hydor heat pad for my tank.

So far yours looks sweet, and makes me want to work on mine more.

Steeltowndubber

Ricky@3rdshift - No I haven't upgraded the lights yet, but will be shortly. I also had the Hydor heater but switched it out for a little Theo heater because it is adjustable... with the heating pad a found that the temp still fluctuated at night... when the lights were off and because I turn the temp in the house down at night... the new heater keeps it nice and stable... this tank is a 2 gallon eventhough it looks identical to yours...

aquadrone100377 - The Dimensions are (L*W*H) 9 3/4"x6"x8"... I live in Ontario Canada and the only place near me that sells them is Petcetera...

Thanks for all the complements everyone...

• 2 months later...
Steeltowndubber

Well, I haven't updated this tread in a long time... and unfortunately this is not a good update...

My little Neon Goby decided to jump last night... I woke up this morning and checked on the tank and didn't see the little guy... I eventually looked at the floor and there the poor guy was... all dried up to a crisp and covered in some dog hair... :( This sucks..

Rich

saw somewhere on this site in a thread about the heatpads and the manufactuerer's recommendation of unplugging them when the room temp reaches 76 or 78 or something to that effect. it may be a concern in the summer. Just thought i'd bring it up if you haven't seen that thread. I think it was Mike Guerreros thread on his 1g last year.

Steeltowndubber

I removed the heat pad a while ago and replaced it with a 25W Hydor Theo heater.

Thanks for the concern...

Now I'm trying to decide on another small fish for this tank....

• 3 weeks later...
Steeltowndubber

Update time...

This past weekend I made a trip to a LFS. Luckily for me, the LFS owner was just about to frag a 10 lbs rock covered in zoos. After splitting the rock we found 5 pistol shrimp hanging out in one of the holes. Lucky for me as the LFS owner gave them to me for free! Of course i couldn't walk out of his store with 5 pistol shrimp and not spend any thing so I picked up a nice frag of orange coloured zoo's, about 40 polyps for 25 bucks.

Here are the pics of the pistol shimp and I will post a pick of the zoo's once they've all opened up. Not sure what type of worm is in these pics though.

IMG_0689.jpg

IMG_0682.jpg

Rich

The Hound

Nice tank, I have the same exact one, got it from Petco, though I am still using a Red Sea Nano HOB filter...seems to work, but conisdering upgrading to another pump with some better flow.

I did purchase some different lighting. Corallife has thier mini hood that has a 9watt 10k compact and a 9watt actnic. It fits over the tank perfectly. I then picked up what basically is a graden hose holder from Lowe's. It's hard to explain but basically it lifts the hood above the tank instead of sitting right on top of it, and you can barely see it. It works great. I will have to post some pics in the future if you are interested.

Steeltowndubber
Nice tank, I have the same exact one, got it from Petco, though I am still using a Red Sea Nano HOB filter...seems to work, but conisdering upgrading to another pump with some better flow.

I did purchase some different lighting. Corallife has thier mini hood that has a 9watt 10k compact and a 9watt actnic. It fits over the tank perfectly. I then picked up what basically is a graden hose holder from Lowe's. It's hard to explain but basically it lifts the hood above the tank instead of sitting right on top of it, and you can barely see it. It works great. I will have to post some pics in the future if you are interested.

I've been looking at upgrading to this lighting "system" for a while. If you could post a pic of the holder you are using to hold the light up that'd be great.

Paulie - At this time I'm not sure what I'm going to do with all five of them. I ended up with all of them because I wanted to save them from being fed to my friend's mantis shrimp.

Thanks,

Rich

The Hound

If I can remeber to bring my digi cam to work I will take a pic. Until then here is a link to Lowes.com to the actual thing I purchased:

All Purpose Hanger

Notice in the pic that there is a wide end and a slim end. I turned the hanger so that it sits on its side on the wide end. I can then place my 1 gallon tank between the lower wide end and the upper skinnier end (have I lost you yet?) This effectively makes a shelf hanging over the top of the tank. I placed four little rubber feet on the bars and then placed the coralife hood on top of that. Works great.

Hopefully I wil get some pictures up so you can see it instead of dealing with my vague explanation.

sandlot13

nice little setup you got there....... pretty good work with the small space you have. more pictures please!!

Steeltowndubber

Thanks Sadlot13...

The Hound - Thanks for the links... I'll have to see if Home Depot has one of those holders... There isn't a Lowes in Ontario Canada that I know of.

Steeltowndubber

Ok... here are some recent pics...

Can anyone help me ID the type of Pistol Shrimps that were given to me. Here are a couple pics to help out.

IMG_0735.jpg

IMG_0733.jpg

Here is a FTS that I took tonight...

IMG_0717.jpg

And lastly the orange zoo's that I picked up a week ago.

IMG_0720.jpg

Great Tank :) And the Zoo's look brill! I wish I was close to a UK fish store that so I could get in their good books and score some prime frags!

Archived