Top Shelf Aquatics

Is there anyone else who hates Royal Gramma's like I do?

Fishfreak218

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's interesting. I always thought it was the ones with the stripe that were supposed to be nice and friendly.

If you're set on getting one, best to add it last, then the other fish in the tank have a chance to set up their territories first.

Sam

• 3 weeks later...

My royal gramma is well-behaved and very beautiful. He gets along well with all my other fish. Yours must be the Mike Tyson or Terrell Owens of the gramma world! d5782f27.jpg

BTW, that pic is from my 79 gallon, not from my nano.

10" Red Devil

You know it is amazing I have this same problem with Six-line wrasses. Everyone says how mellow and amazing they are, and yet everyone I have had has been a nightmare. Now more to the point I love my Royal Gramma, super colorful, and super mellow! Muwahahaha! Think you just got a bad egg. Lol!

• 1 month later...
The little Fugly bisach got what he disereved....sorry to here about your tank......that really sucks..its ok...i lost 4 coloeny's (about $170 worth...) of zoanthids....:( ....all b.c. one $20 POS (peice of $h!+) coloeny infected the rest....i saved my favorites though....i got a firefish today and now this ###### is picking on him......

You should read before you combine fish many types dont do well with types that even faintly resemble them. Grammas and dottybacks are known for that. He will harrass your firefish to death so one has to go.

• 2 weeks later...

add me to the list. I read the same thing about royal grammas, did not believe it and got one anyway. all he ever did was protect his territory by nipping other fish, and eventually got sick and spread the disease to other fish and die.

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

I use to have the royal gramma but mine were always mellow and never did nothing more than hide in a cave and come out to feed.

I own the orchid dottyback and he's cool looking and gets along with my six line wrasse.

But in the past they had their fights and now are buddies....

Undertheradar

well...http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-05/hcs3/index.php

I also thought that some of you might be getting Brazilian Grammas... but really all the grammas should behave alike. It is best to add them last, and hope you have a female... not a male. Also, I find their behavior to vary with tank size...much like african cichlids. I find the same to be true of 6-line wrasses. The smaller the tank, the more of the tank is 'their territory', and the nastier they are. In a 10g, I would not be shocked if a 6-line were to kill most everything in its 'home'...cleaner shrimp and crabs included. But give that wrasse a nice 40g, and it will be a puppy.

Must be like bettas and other non-bettas, ie all individuals. Some of them are really mellow and get along well with other fish, some of them are hell on fins. I had a 5 gallon Eclipse on my desk at work, and I bought the most gorgeous crowntail betta I had ever laid eyes on. He was the meanest bastard to the other fish, though. Kept picking on my guppies and corys. He even attacked the oto cat. He got his own tank the same day.

10" Red Devil

Fishfreak218,

Well youll be very happy to know that my gramma is getting its a$$ beat by a Flame hawk in my 20L it has chewed up tail fins and has ick!

• 2 weeks later...

OK now I hate Royal Grammas. That little ba$tard stressed my Sixliner to death. I just had like 2 days with the Sixliner when I saw him go belly up. Now I will have to remove that little monster.

OK now I hate Royal Grammas. That little ba$tard stressed my Sixliner to death. I just had like 2 days with the Sixliner when I saw him go belly up. Now I will have to remove that little monster.

Haha, this should definetly be a "Royal Gramma's should die club" =D Fishfreak as leader and Cesar and co-leader =P

Ohh, I know that fish. Had to google it to recall. My friend has one, her clown beats the stuffing out of it if it gets out of line though. Go figure. :P

They are shy so when i come up to the tank he swims away and hides...that little SOB coward....and then he picks on my othe fish...like i said...i payed $15 for a frikin damsel....what a little skank bag...i cant even explain my hate for them...ughhh.....their horrible...what a waist of my bio-load...i cant wait to get him out of my tank!

I whish my Powerhead would open up a can of woop @$$ and suck that little frikin bastage up.....and blow his guts everywhere :lol::owned::naughtydance::slap:

So let me get this straight you put a Royal Gramma in a 2.5 gal and he picks on your other fish?????? :rolleyes: And you're angry at the fish??? You're a friggin genius.....How bout I lock you in the bathroom for the rest of your life and see how happy you are :lol:

So let me get this straight you put a Royal Gramma in a 2.5 gal and he picks on your other fish?????? :rolleyes: And you're angry at the fish??? You're a friggin genius.....How bout I lock you in the bathroom for the rest of your life and see how happy you are :lol:

dude.. dont assume, just because in his signature, there is a link to a 2.5g pico, dosent mean thats the only tank he has. Josh (right?) has lots of tanks, bigger then a 2.5 pico..

dude.. dont assume, just because in his signature, there is a link to a 2.5g pico, dosent mean thats the only tank he has. Josh (right?) has lots of tanks, bigger then a 2.5 pico..

Ok I did a search and see he has it in a 30gal. so my appalogies. I still don't see how there is so much hate for a gramma. Every one I have seen personally are kinda calm and shy. Most of the time when other fish come around them they hide in the rocks. Maybe he juast got a devil gramma :huh:

• 1 month later...

Archived