Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

I want something rare and/or interesting (not for reef)

GPCRalph

Keeping a nautilus is something that probably shouldn't be done.

Keeping them in a brightly light aquarium with constant low pressure can cause the a lot of problems.

Read up on RC and other places about them... It just really shouldn't be done IMHO.

• 6 months later...

I was in hawaii a couple months ago and one of the public aquariums there had an exibit on Nautilus. They were very cool and seemed to be thriving, but i doubt they'd do well in a small inclosure.

* I do reccomend a frogfish

A pair of harlequin shrimp perhaps? I have a pair in my 5.5 gallon and love them. Of course if you have a soft spot for live starfish, you wouldn't much care for these beautiful little badasses. One takes turns eating the starfish alive, and the other feeds the starfish TO keep it alive.

Still, neat animals.

How about an urchin tank? And by "urchin tank", I mean enough urchins that you'd be reluctant to stick your hand in there for any reason.

OK, I'm just being silly. Seriously, then, I throw my support behind the stomatopod advocates. Damn those things are cool. Here's everything you ever wanted to know about mantis shrimp but were afraid to ask:

The Lurker's Guide to Stomatopods

Check out the gallery! The peacocks are downright plain compared to some of these. Also the mantis movies are fun to watch. I love the one of a mantis digging its burrow. If I didn't know they were deadly efficient predators, I'd chuckle and say, Ha! What a goofy critter!

NepTuNe-UsD

Ive seen a 10g tank with blue jellyfish (catostylus mosaicus) in it. That was pretty gnarly. Ive never seen the species before in captivity. I think it is one of the few species of jellyfish that is "ok" for trade.

Its probably a witch (with a capital B ) to find in any LFS's though. Here in San Diego there is an LFS selling an entire tank with the jellies included.;)

lol. sponge bob. i would do a smalltank raised octopus. we get small 3 inchers in at the lfs i work at and they are sweet, and easy to care for. they'l eat hermit crabs and snails, and small fish if it can catch them. you just have to make sure the top of your tank is SEALED> i mean no holes at all. we fed ours ghost shrimp, freeze dried kirll, and an occasional hermit crab.

Archived