inTank Media Baskets

I want something rare and/or interesting (not for reef)

GPCRalph

What is the wierdest or most ineteresting animal that you would keep in a 12 gallon tank? It doesn't have to be so crazy interesting but something diferent. I was looking into keeping a blue ribbon eel but I don't know much about their care. Then I thought about keeping a tiny trigger fish for a little while (then trade it in to the store when it gets bigger). I heard dragon wrasses are interesting but I feel like that is a fish that would need a lot of room for swimming. Anyway, I'm open to any idea. Thanks

quiksilver5768

Make it a seahorse and pipefish tank. They are very interesting to watch. The tank would require a good amount of care though...

i dunno my clown wrasse is pretty intresting and has lotsa personality i have yet to see antoher reefer who has on in his tank...

nishant

p.s. yea seahorses are real cool! but hella hard to feed...

alas they do but i never said i was going to keep it in the tank till it was full grown! im giving it to the lfs in a few weeks to make way for a pair of clowns

nishant

Get a Nautilus!

CLV00112.jpg

I saw a couple of these in a LFS a few months back and thought that would be a cool item to keep in a tank.

This shows the average adult size.:

Nautilus.jpg

They have the coolest cat look'n eys and move like a squid.

Nautilus2.jpgNautilus03.JPG

Just a thought, one day I will have one of these. I am sure it is not the easiest thing to take care of if it is anything like a squid/octopus, although it may be, I have not done any research.

quiksilver5768

wow, that is a pretty cool guy. Ive never heard of such a creature. I just might have to read up on that. If someone has succefully kept this guy, that is pretty damn cool.

I wouldn't want to keep a nautilus in this small a tank. I don't think many people know how to car for them. They seem like a mission that would be better left for the wild. But cool suggestion, that is definitely not common.

if you're not going to have corals and other stuff then go crustacean. mini-lobster, cbs, arrow crab, sexy shrimp, blood shrimp, various mollusks, etc.

dwarf seahorses are another possibility but as someone mentioned-very difficult.

forest of xenias pulsing looks nice too.

species 'dream' tanks i would think about (albeit much larger than 12g) are boxfish, squid, octupus, shark, etc.

quiksilver5768

You could try some frogfish. They are really cool. They blend into their environment and change color to whatever surrounds them. Here are some pics.

frogfish10.jpg-thumb_140_105.jpg

frogfish28.jpg-thumb_140_105.jpg

In this pic, there are two of them...

frogfish31.jpg-thumb_140_105.jpg

These are some very interesting fish...my LFS sells them and ive been reading up about them for a while now. There is a lot of info on there little guys if you do a search.

get some freaky patterned sargassum/frog fish! they'll munch other would be cohabitants but look very cool and feeding time's always an attraction! damn quicksilver you beat me to it! oh well, i second the frog fish idear!

Originally posted by Mnesarchus

How about a mantis shrimp?

They creep me out a little, but they are so fascinating!

if he wants to see a puddle on the floor, then go right ahead.

those frogfish are pretty disturbing. but they are definitely something unsual to have in a tank. i still consider a mandarin pretty unsual and still want one in my 29 gal.

I had a Picaso Trigger, if that is the only thing in the tank, they are pretty interesting. Put some live gold fish in the tank and he will buzz through them like nothing youve ever seen. Mine was cool but he ate everything in my tank (coral, inverts, the other fish...)

I bought a sponge bob aquarium for my niece and they accidentally sent me two. billed for one so I now have an extra. Iw as thinking of trying a sea horse tank with the second bob tank.

AS for the frog fish, country critters has dozens of them in their frag tanks, every time I go there I debate buying one and watching the frog devour my other fish.

Archived