Cultivated Reef

SLR - Rebel vs D50

reefin300

SLR - Rebel vs D50  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Which camera offers more bang for the buck?

• Canon Rebel EOS
    • Nikon D50

aenty04, sorry, but the evolt is not even in the same category :) It's really not up to par. Read up reviews, it's a deceptive piece of work, trying to compare to Canon and Nikons. I would never recommend it. There is no stock of lenses, and the ones out are "consumer" lenses. Glass has to be expensive to be good. You buy one body and keep it for years, and then you build a glass collection. For canon/nikon, there are over 100 choices each, from 50$ to 6000$ lenses. For evolt there are 2-3? That defeats the whole DSLR purpose.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you can, you might also want to wait until the holidays, or after the holidays. I'm thinking that a LOT of things are going to really come down in price because people aren't going to be spending money this year like they have in the past due to gas prices and whatnot. Food for thought.

I didn't get a chance to pass by the shop yesterday - had to clean out my tank. Gee's going bare bottom is really a pain in the butt when all that deitrus builds up!

I wouldn't mind getting the new Nikon - if I can keep it under 2k with a great lense. But is it really that much more superior over their other cams?

Although I'm new to the game I have always been fascinated with photography which is why I'm on the pursuit to a good camera that has the versatility of being used as an every day camera as well.

Perpetual you made a good point - if Nikon has a new camera coming out I would think that the pricing on the other models may go down a tad for the holidays? That is some food for thought. Although, I don't see many sales on these models anywhere aside from buying online.

hmm choices, choices, choies.

Paradise - in your honest opinion considering that there is a $2k gap and that I get commander mode on a camera so I can do the aquatic photography, which camera would be more advanced as I grow in the new hobby? (That question probably just opened a whole new door)...

I'm so impatient though - I just want to hurry up and get it especially with the holidays rolling around I want to have an awesome camera for those sweet shots.

To add to this - my cheapo sony P&S took a dump yesterday - Long story!

It depends on your long term goals. D200 is amazing, read the reviews, every nikon (and many of us canon guys) are salivating over it. The bigger viewfinder, the largest LCD in the industry, the build (rock solid, it's a Pro body, not the plastic XT one). It will keep value tremendously, and at that price it's an AWESOME deal. Think about it, if I, a Canon guy, have been thinking of selling all my gear and moving to it, how easy is it for someone who does not have that burden.

You should be able to get close to $2k with that body and a 50mm macro. That would give you a sharp macro lens and a great body for around $2100-2200. Then you can add to it as you are able to. First things to add will be Flash (SB800) and the new wireless controller, or two flashes. That will set you up for a long time. 50mm is actually a great super-sharp all around lens, it's not just for macro, I use my 100 mm all the time to shoot other stuff. I love Prime lenses, they are usually better than the zooms.

thanks paradise I really want to get it but when would it be coming out before christmas?

I may have to wait on the d200 until tax time :( if i go with it

I have always been a Nikon guy (Canon v. Nikon is much like Ford v. Chevy, you're born into it and its hard to change), so consider my opinion biased. After spending a weekend with my dad's D100, I would highly recommend any camera that was even closely related to that.

Either way you go, check out the retailer Broadway Photo (www.bwayphoto.com). Their prices are crazy low (so low, I was skeptical). After a friend bought his Canon SD10 for dirt cheap, and I got a great deal on my digi cam, I highly recommend them.

One thing you must be careful of is that they will call you before they process your order and try to sell you on extra batteries, lenses, memory, warranty, etc. Keep them on the line for a while (they're New Yoahkahs), and you should be able to talk them down and get a deal. I got a 2 year warranty, upgraded shipping and an extra battery for half the price they wanted for just the battery. They will tell you that the battery the camera comes with only lasts 45 minutes of shooting time, or something, but just know that they are trying to sell you up on things. If you can get past that, you will find one helluva deal on no matter what you buy.

Good luck, and let us know what you choose!

:cough: Nikon :cough:

that is actually the reason I wont deal with broadway. You can get the same prices at the one place I will deal with, b&h photo (bhphoto.com), and you dont have to deal with the sales pitches. I am a regular customer there, even if they are $10 more. It does not matter in the long term, and their prices are usually within $10-20 of anyone else. Plus they are 1000% reliable, send you tracking number within an hour of sending the package, and they send the same day you order. I have not dealt with anyone else since I started w/them, and most Pros will tell you the same thing.

I'm with you on BH paradise. After reviewing numerous sites and searching for quality vendors while trying to pick out my camera BH seems to be a favorite of many.

The problem I'm faced with right now on picking up the D200 is that I wanted to be able to get everything under 2k. It doesn't sound like I'll be able to do that by the time I purchase memory card, flash, tripod ect.

I'm thinking more along the lines of going with either the 20D now of the D70s.

I've read that the D70 was having some problems and would shutdown and needed to be sent back to Nikon for repair - supposedly now fixed on the D70s.

The 20D's preflash when being used for aquatic photo might scare the fish from that one pose I'm trying to get, which is where commander mode on the Nikon comes into play right?

Now I've got a battle of the 20D versus D70s. Both are great cameras.

I'm wondering picture quality wise if the canon 8.25mp performs better than the Nikons 6.1mp?

LOL, the 20D preflash problem is a joke. You have seen my pics, right? :) I use flash (and preflash) 100% of the time. If you need more samples, here you go:

http://egfoto.com/gallery/Aquatic/

If you decide to go with the Nikon line, I would not purchase D70s EVER! there is no reason to do that. D70 is almost exactly the same camera, and with Software upgrade the only difference is a slightly bigger LCD, and that is not a reason to pay more. Dont worry about the shutdown problem, it was a software problem, and, as far as I remember, only with certain serial numbers, that had all been returned and replaced by now. I have plenty of friends who use it and dont have any problems.

Now, I am going to make a statement, which you need to either believe or not, because I am a Canon guy, so I may be a bit biased. I believe 20D is vastly superior to any "non-pro body" cameras on the market right now, till D200 comes out. By pro body cameras I mean, Nikon D2x, and Canon Mark series. It's ability to handle noise at higher ISO levels (very common in aquatic photography) is uncanny, and it's highly intuitive in design and has a full range of acessories, like: Battery Grip (a must in my opinion), STE2 controller, a line of 4 ETTL flashes and much more.

I believe you paradise! I went and checked out the canon 20D today at a local shop on my lunch - what a great camera!!! I didn't have enough time to check out the Nikon because I was busy fiddling with all the differe buttons and looking at all the different lenses.

Although I would really like the D200 especially after seeing those sexy pictures of it on your site it makes me want one soooo bad! I need a drop date though - I can't wait to get a camera because I want to get statrted like ASAP :D so I can add my series! haha

Now if I do choose the Canon - If I remember correctly this does not have commander mode which is something that I would need for aquatic photography correct? Now if it doesn't have commander mode - how do I substitute the test for lighting?

Canon makes STE2 - a wireless flash controller. It controls groups of up to 5 flashes, and lets you adjust their exposure through the camera. Ingenious. :) It's more advanced than the Nikon Commander mode, but it's a separate item, about $250. I use mine 100% of the time for aquatic photography.

aenty04, sorry, but the evolt is not even in the same category :) It's really not up to par. Read up reviews, it's a deceptive piece of work, trying to compare to Canon and Nikons. I would never recommend it. There is no stock of lenses, and the ones out are "consumer" lenses. Glass has to be expensive to be good. You buy one body and keep it for years, and then you build a glass collection. For canon/nikon, there are over 100 choices each, from 50$ to 6000$ lenses. For evolt there are 2-3? That defeats the whole DSLR purpose.

I'll have to disagree with that since I do own an Evolt. I bought the Evolt E300 last year and love it. I use it for all kinds of photography mostly work related studio images and it performs very well. The images are spot on! Clear sharp images with no artifacting whatsoever. They do make more than 2 or 3 lenses...not as many as Nikon or Canon but the lenses are specifially designed for digital cameras, they aren't just regular SLR lenses that you can use on your digital. It also has a feature that helps eliminate dust from the CCD which is pretty cool! B)

glass = more imporant than body

With either canon or nikon cameras, your glass is what makes the difference in image quality no matter which body you shoot with.

low quality glass = lower image quality

I have seen people get great results regularly with L series lenses on a rebel. On the flip side, I've seen people get really bad results regularly with cheaper lenses on more expensive bodies like the 20d.

I personally shoot with a 20d, and rent other bodies/lenses for photography work on a fairly regular basis. Always use the best glass you can possibly afford, and if you can't afford to own it...rent it as needed!

I would go with the camera that you are more comfortable with. I have always preferred canon cameras myself, but I have nothing bad to say about nikon or the results you can get with nikon.

On second thought... screw nikon. canon sackrider for life! omgomgomg

ps. some general photography links of interest...

www.dpreview.com

www.fredmiranda.com

www.photo.net

Thanks paradise and Gilman - I think I have made my decision to go with the 20D so that way I could extend my options of lenses and accessories.

Although I would like to wait until the D200 comes out, all the extra gadgets that I want would take me way over my budget.

Now it's time to do the purchase and get lenses along with the flash and STE-2 controller.

Question though:

It's a draw between a couple lenses and I want to make sure that I am listing these out correctly for everyday shooting as well as macro shots.

50mm 1.8

200mm 2.8

I've also been contenplating the 100mm instead of the 50mm - Any thoughts?

Also what accessories like the battery grip and the wireless controller should I order all at once to make the transition smooth?

OOH, you chose the BEST Time to buy this stuff. Seriously, I am jelous :)

Canon is offering Tripple Rebates right now on the DSLR line. 20D body is on there, with a 200$ rebate, if you buy two add. lenses, and you get rebates on both, Check it out on Canon's site. It's awesome, I am planning to buy a couple of lenses myself :)

I will give you my dream set, which I am building, for a photographer, who is interested in all types of photography, these are my best lenses on the budget:

Macro: 100mm 2.8 Canon (though the Tamaron and Sigma versions are about 90-95% as good)

Wide lens: Tokina 12-24 - The best wide lens for the money, great for landscape and just regular city shooting, my favorite all around lens

All around Zoom - Canon 70-200 IS - expensive, there are similar Sigma lens that is good enough for less money, but this one particular lens is amazing. 1.6K (this xmas, here it comes)

Flashes: 580EX is a much better flash, but in the beginning you can get away with one 420ex, which will later become a 2nd fill flash, I have both

And of course STE2, plus GOOD Memory, I use exclusively Sandisk Extreme II. 20D really takes advantage of faster memory. Costco has them for $89 and you can get better online.

Paradise haha that's what I heard but now you confirmed it for me!

You can't get new lenses now - you're supposed to sell your stuff and get the D200 so I can dribble all over my keyboard!!

that dream setup is going to kill me!

I was thinking about getting the camera with the lense kit, should I waste the extra money or is the 18-55 crap?

that dream setup is going to kill me!

I was thinking about getting the camera with the lense kit, should I waste the extra money or is the 18-55 crap?

man, I wanted to email you back, but I am at home (last time it was at work :)) and you took your email address down. email me back at grhome (at) socal.rr.com and we'll talk. or call me at that number I left in the email.

Oh, and to answer your question, if we dont come to a deal, you dont need the crappy lens that it comes with. BODY ONLY. Then get lenses you actually will use. Like the ones that come in my setup :)

ed

Archived