SaltCritters.com

[STOCK] Hokie03

Hokie03

I'm liking that Gravity Driven ATO

Thanks, I actually had an ATO incident yesterday and had to remake it, the point where my tube connects to the bottle sprung a leak, so I got a new bottle and made a much better hole/silicon job.

hey hokie, are you in the 'burg?

Nope, grajimicated back in '03

Got some new coral! GSP, a shroom and trumpet coral. Also, a small pice of LR which the LFS guy thought was a shroom but I think it is a sponge...any input? It's the purple stuff on the pic with the zoos. I also have a crappy FTS.

DSCN06952005-11-17.jpg

DSCN06932005-11-17.jpg

GSP.jpg

DSCN07012005-11-17.jpg

As you can see the bad glue job on that candy cane I think I'm going to clip off a bit more from the bottom and reposition down in the front of the tank

DSCN07042005-11-17.jpg

• 1 month later...

Tank update! All is going quite well, aquired some new coral, xenia, a red shroom and what the LFS guy said was a micromussa, but it doesn't look like any of the micromussa pics I can find online?...can anyone positively ID this? I know the pic is not the best

12-20Micro.jpg

12-20FTS2.jpg

12-20Xenia.jpg

I'm also starting to get a noticeable number of flatworms, bot the red/brown ones and the clear ones, does anyone know of any natrual method to get rid of them other than siphoning (i.e. shrimp, etc?)

Help! I posted a thread in the coral forum but might get more attention here. Long story short, the other day I noticed the new blasto not opening right, so the next day it was still closed, I checked params, and AHHH SG down to .020, my bad with too much top off! This morning it was totally retracted into the skeleton. So, I am slowly raising SG, moved the blasto to a lower light/flow area and already after moving it only 1 hr ago I can see some flesh. But, I am also seeing strange marks on my candy cane and its looking more wrinkled than usual! Here are some pics of the black marks on the canes. If anyone has any advice please let me know...BTW, SG is now a right about .022, pH 8.2, Nitrates 0, Nitrites 0, Ammonia 0-.25? (AQ Parm test kit hard to read sometimes), temp 80

Ailingcandycane.jpg

The candy cane doesn't look in too bad a shape. I can't tell what the black marks are exactly from that pic though, are they holes in the flesh or just a pigmentation change? Bring the SG back up again slowly and hopefully all will be well again.

Best regards

Ann

Thanks! The black marks don't look quite like full blown holes, they look like stretch marks actually. I have been slowly raising SG and the blasto is looking MUCH better than it was, still has room for imporvement though. Now it's just time to watch carefully and hope for the best!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I'm finally getting off my lazy butt to post some new pics. A lot has changed in my tank, including the addition of some new coral, and a minor aquascape change. I am concerned about my candy canes lately. During the day only one head really opens, and very lopsided at that, the other two small ones are very barely open and sometimes a little shriveled. At night, they dont' extend their feeders like they used to. I'm wondering if the neighboring mushroom has grown to much and is stinging the polyps? The small ones when they do open keep the bottom parts of the polyp closed, the part that the mushroom is closest too. Before a week or so ago they were looking fantastic. I had to reglue the coral because it fell, so I attributed their behavior to being handled too much, but now over a week later they still aren't back to normal. I will post all the pics next and you can see them there. My little single blasto is also not opening, but my new grey candy canes are just fine along with everything else so I don't think it's a water problem. Any ideas? Also let me know what you think of the latest tank shots!

I know they aren't the best pics, sorry

New FTS

DSCN09552006-03-23.jpg

Trouble candy's

DSCN09482006-03-23.jpg

DSCN09532006-03-23.jpg

New candy's

DSCN09512006-03-23.jpg

Fire & Ice

DSCN09492006-03-23.jpg

Yo! Thanks! I finally thought I would post the pics. I think the mushrooms are getting too huge though, they block a lot of other stuff, maybe I'll make some cream of mushroom soup?

nice growth! i can never get my shroom to grow big like that. they just pedal produce instead. :mellow:

i agree, they look huge in that tank! B)

Really, really nice looking tank. I love the big mushrooms, very healthy looking. It's interesting that you seem to have a problem with your little B. merleti, mine didn't open properly too. I took it out last week and it's looking fine again in my big tank. I wonder what the problem was, perhaps yours is stuggling for the same reason?

Best regards

Ann

Ann,

Thanks for the compliments, I was beginning to feel like my tank was not up to par. The blasto is very strange, it's been about 85% open teh past couple days, seems to have no rhyme or reason to it's behavior, oh well! I just did a good cleaning/water change so the tank is looking tip-top. I will take some pics and post new ones!

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, well here is my final post! I had a total blast of stupidity last week so I erased a bunch of pics off of photbucket, so all my old posts are now pictureless. I scrounged up what I could, not the best pics, but here are some photos that show a pretty good history of the tank, hope you all love it and vote for me!!

November

DSCN06962005-11-17.jpg

December

12-20FTS2.jpg

January

NoToothbrush.jpg

February (or closest to it)

DSCN08492006-01-29.jpg

March

DSCN09442006-03-23.jpg

April, taken today

aprilfts1.jpg

My latest edition is the frogspawn in front

Even I'm surprised by the change my tank has undergone. I didn't realize until now when I put all the pics together. For my first SW tank ever I am pleased with my results. It had it's ups and downs but overall I love the tank and it definitely got me hooked. I wish I had some more room for coral but that's why they make bigger tanks ;) Over the 6 or so months I think my biggest obstacle was a short bought of algae overgrowth and the still persistent flatworms (I still have an unused FWE that I bought but figure unless the worms are chocking coral why risk it?!) Well, now it's up to the judging. Hopefully my tank has what it takes to get some votes! Thanks to everyone on NR for helping me along in this new endeavor!

Ken

hey the tank looks really good, so much different then when i saw it in january. looks good tho...hopefully mine will look like that....maybe if you frag me some when you come you can bring some (no shipping charge) haha looks good none the less good luck bro

Archived