Innovative Marine Aquariums

[STOCK] Hokie03

Hokie03

Well here goes, this is my first reef tank and I was going to do it anyway, so why not enter the contest for fun and to help get tips/advice on my new endeavour.

My Specs:

2.5 AGA

AC30

Satellite 18W

Hydor 25W

Catalina Water

Picoentrypic.jpg

Thanks minimalist,

Here's a pic of the tank set-up with LR and sand. I got both from a LFS and I'm pretty pleased with it. Had a tiny bristle star as soon as I put in the rock, but haven't see it since I put in the sand. All my params read 0, SG 1.023, PH 8.0, temp 79 range, no major fluctuation issues as of yet.

My only issues are that I can't set flow high on the filter, otherwise I get a spot where all the sand blows away.

LR3.jpg

All I can say is Hokie Hokie Hokie High Tech Tech VPI, sorry, Frog, good luck to you as well.

Here's an update:

Last reading all zero except very slight (unreadable) nitrite, pH 8.2, SG 1.023

Starting to get just a little bit of debris off the rock, no other issues....waiting patiently for the clean-up crew time.

Thanks,

The patience thing is the hardest test for me, I'm always impulsive (kind of learned that lesson when I had to tear down and redo my planted FW because I rushed the set-up)!

I think I might run into an evap problem, I think the tank is in a bad spot and the ceiling fan and AC vent are blowing across it making it evap really fast, have to rig up an ATO of some fashion...

OK, rearranged the LR today, just didn't like the old setup, much better now IMO, will have pics to post soon. Also spotted a little hitchhiker, I couldn't get a positive ID, nor get the camera in the right spot for a shot, it appeared to be a little leg, possibly of a star, it was orange and bristley, not like the littel bristle star I first saw though, that one was white/colorless, this was def. orange, I'll keep my eye out for it again. Temp and params still all good, starting to get more die off from the rock.

Here's my beginners question for those who feel like helping a guy out....the white detritus/die off from the rock, should I use a brush to clean it off to help it get filtered out or leave it for the clean-up crew?

Thanks for everyone's inputs for this new endeavour of mine, so far it's been a blast, well, all 3 days of it!

Hooke up my ATO, simple gravity drip system

WholeATO.jpgATOvalve.jpg

Also added an astraea, a nassarius, and the dealer threw in a bumble bee that I didn't plan on, I'll keep it unless it gets rowdy

rjg, no problem, I will get a pic, but basically I bought a 6' roll of airline tubing and it came with 4 little plastic connectors to link lines together. I put a hole in the bottom of the bottle, attached one end of the connector to the airline, the other end I put in the hole and siliconed it.

Woooo, my first coral!! "Enchanted?" zoos, green centers kinda purplish edges. Pics are taken just not loaded yet, will post them. They opened up pretty quicly after putting them in the tank and they look great so far!!!

Archived