Top Shelf Aquatics

GrizzleBee's pico

GrizzleBee's

Oh yeah that's right! I completely forgot about that "tomarrow" thing.

Well a few issues have come up:

While I was drilling a hole through the stand, the drill bit punched through the other side, and the drill handle smashed into one of my bulkheads, shattering the pane. This was tuesday afternoon, and I wasn't going down without a fight!

Check-in was chasing after me like a pack of angry wolfs, so I rushed to HD, got a little piece of lexan, and siliconed it in place. Worked better than I expected, except it looks like crap (silicone wise).

Well that's all fine and dandy, but my troubles weren't over yet: I did all the plumbing, and fired it up, but something didn't work as I expected... The sprinkler valve appearantly only works at high pressures, such as a city water main, or a 60psi pestecide sprayer for my terrarium misting system. CRAP. So I thought my tide idea was done for, but now I have a new hope involving a pump. It has yet to be tested, but for right now, the tank is going with a little lr and no tidal cycles...

Here's the new plan... Hopefully....aREVISION2.JPG

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

Pretty slow. It's still just going w/o tides and some rock. I still need to get an external pump.

And I got mh for my 24nc, so I scrapped the hood for lights. Now I've got 2 36w 50/50 bulbs resting on the glass top. No hood or reflectors, so there's a ton of light loss, but 72w is a crap load so I don't see the harm.

It looks nice and blue now, which is how I like it.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

NEWSFLASH:

I'm out of the contest. Sorry to let everyone down and stuff... I knew I was excited to see it in action... But uhhh....

That valve didn't work... And I couldn't find a different one...

And as for cash... It's pretty tough doin' all this stuff on a 15 year olds budget...

Which is none considering I don't have a job... So I never got around to buying an external pump... So my pico pretty much ended up being a tank of rocks in my room... Didn't feel like putting to much time or money into it if the tides wheren't going to be all sweet and stuff. All the rocks are now in my 20g, and the project is offically scrapped. So no one get any ideas about sprinkler valves and tide pools... There's not enough pressure to squeeze through the valve...

OK gilman dude: You do the honors. Just delete this thread. No use in moving it to the pico forum, cause the tank isn't going anymore...

:(

hmmm. i remember being that age. all the cool stuff too expensive after trips to taco bell.

* I tell you what - i like this idea so much I am willing to help support it if you promise to finish it and keep us posted (and with pics).

PM me with parts/ pumps you may need and what they are for. I have a serious variety, I work with acrylic often, and have access to many different materials (aluminum, steel, you name it..)

by the way, I have an idea for your anti-drying. I have an aqualifter pump you drip in different places) and could be run in a closed loop using airline tubing. perfect.

Let me know if you intend to continue this project and we'll see what we can do.

another idea to keep things from drying out is to incorporate a wavemaker to simulate the waves. Not the type that plugs in to powerheads but the type that fills up a resivor and then empties it like a toilet. The waves coupled with the high/low tide would make a pretty tough tank to setup but it would be pretty awesome.

Hey thanks guys, but uhh... to be honest... I really don't feel like putting too much effort into this anymore... Someone else can try it out...

But c'mon! That's to be expected from a lazy teenager, right?

And chiefeich dude- That's a pretty generous offer, but like I said... meh...

speaking of taco-bell...

I JUST WENT ABOUT AN HOUR AGO

no joke

pretty sweet, huh? haha

WERD

i know what you mean im 15 myself with only pocket money as a source of income

unlucky on the tank man

im 14 and i will spend infinite time...and all my money on a tank...you just werent in the hobby!

im 14 and i will spend infinite time...and all my money on a tank...you just werent in the hobby!

that was kinda mean.. he just dosen't have the budget to finnish the project i guess

Archived