Top Shelf Aquatics

GrizzleBee's pico

GrizzleBee's

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

wow great idea, cant wait to see what it'll look like. Just a little sceptical about the stocking though, I've noticed that when coraline dries it dies.

WOW..what a great sugestion...i think that would be a goood idea as well....than your corals dont dry out..i would imagine they would get two hot under yourset-up unless you didnt make anytihng that drizzleswater (slowly) over your coral...or if you can make it go off every _few___minutes than that would work...very good sugggestion

Ahh hey that is a good idea! I could use that little microjet thing in the pic of all my stuff. Hide it in the rocks... Maybe even a dripper manifold thing I used on my 55g vivarium...

Sounds cool to me!

i dont know if this will wrok but why not put a pipe throught the middle of the tank and put live rock round it

the top edge will have to be flush with the rock to get the drizzle effect pherhaps use millyput to do this

hope it helps and gives you the chace to beat tig

very cool concept!

i'm also a little curious what you have planned by way of livestock. besides the stonys there are a lot of other animals but you're going to get a hella amount of mucus and other anti-drying stuff flushed into the system when "high tide returns." it's not a problem in the wild as it's diluted (probably contributed to eco-system as organic matter) by the whole ocean.

you might want to think about an automatic waterchanger. i.e. dump the wash of the low tide and replace with freshly mixed. $$$ but trying to filter that gunk out may be prohibitive.

just thinking out loud what issues may crop up and possible solutions to them. still, it's an awesome concept though (you too, tig).

Yeah I've thought that too. Maybe a skimmer? UTR style in the sump?

Hmmm....

If all else fails, I could just put all the coral under the low tide mark. I'll have lots of macro too, so it'll be cool.

I think you should drill a hole in the bottom of your live rock, then put a pump pushing into that hole (yeah that did come out weird..) But anyways, it could create pressure and the water would go throughout the rock, in the pores, assuming you are having porus rock. Then, your rock would always be wet, and not dry out. Not sure it it would work, just an idea I had.

Good luck,

Max

I dont really think the rock being out of water for 6 hours at a time will kill the coraline. The Coraline doesnt die because of lack of water, it dies becasue there is no water protecting it from the bleaching effects of the lighs, at least how I have had it explained to me about doing water changes and turning your lights off to protect your coraline.

You and Tigah,(although I am not sure of his setup yet) may find the best option to be sequencing your light cycle to match low tide so that the lights are off, thus not bleaching out your coraline. Does your corraline die in a 24 hour mail ride in the dark, no. But does it die if left out in the sun with no water to protect it, yes. I am very interested in this setup and with tigahs, as it brings us one step closer to re-creating nature in our livingrooms and basements.

Good luck and have fun, its a contest.

This is such a cool idea, blows my boring little tank out of the water. I shall be watching this thread with immense interest. Best of luck!

Best regards

Ann

Yeah I'm almost there. Drilling is sucha pain though... It's so boring... I never feel like taking the 1-2 I should to finish the job.

Other than that, I've got pretty much all I need. My bro tore down his 5.5 planted tank (don't worry, no copper treatment stuff or anything), so now I have a real sump which is cool.

Also, what do you guys think about using a freshwater aqualight (2X9w 6500K)? It's just lyin' around my room. I don't think I'll be keeping much other than macro, so is the spectrum ok? I Mean... There's not much blue light at sea level, which is where tidepools are, right? And hopefully the reduced light shouldn't fry the exposed coralline as much.

Just don't feel like making another diy hood disaster... ugh...

Yeah I'm almost there. Drilling is sucha pain though... It's so boring... I never feel like taking the 1-2 I should to finish the job.

Other than that, I've got pretty much all I need. My bro tore down his 5.5 planted tank (don't worry, no copper treatment stuff or anything), so now I have a real sump which is cool.

Also, what do you guys think about using a freshwater aqualight (2X9w 6500K)? It's just lyin' around my room. I don't think I'll be keeping much other tank macro, so is the spectrum ok? I Mean... There's not much blue light at sea level, which is where tidepools are, right? And hopefully the reduced light shouldn't fry the exposed coralline as much.

Just don't feel like making another diy hood disaster... ugh...

I think that light should work great.

cool.

2 holes down, 1 to go!

wish me luck

...by luck, I mean not craking the tank! 3 holes is a crap load for this small a tank with thin glass. Pretty risky if you ask me...

Archived