Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

[CUSTOM] Icenine

icenine

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the interest and comments.

I really wanted to get a FTS off today... but the flower anemone decided that today was pooping day and spent most of it shriveled up and expeling some really gross stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

You don't make any mention of the Ascidian in your latest livestock listing, did it not make it? I have just got myself a hold of some DTs phyto and oyster eggs to see if I can keep my hitchhiker squirts going. Were you dosing any of that kind of stuff?

The latest fts is amazing, I can hardly recognize the tank. The flower anemone is even more gorgeous. :wub:

Any chance of posting some more shots?? Pretty please. :)

Best regards

Ann

Thanks Ann.

The tunicate is out. It's begun waste away so I've put it back in the 15, though I'm not sure that will help it. I knew the chances of it surviving were slim to begin with, and it looks like you can add mine to the list of failures. I had been feeding both phyto and oyster eggs in the tank... and while sponges and feather dusters seem to be loving it the Ascidian did not fare so well. I doubt it will make it more than four months total.

I've had one loss of zoas, one of the pink zoa morphs. I have no idea why, they just closed and melted. There was no sign of fungus or parasite on them. Even with that loss I'm still sporting twenty something varieties of zoas and palys here. That should grow into a nice looking mix. ...and I am getting some really nice growth so far... almost time to start thining a few things out.

I removed the monti cap from this tank.... traded it for a couple more zoas. :)

Everything else is looking fine. In particular the crucifer seems very happy and colored up. Looks like crap in the FTS, but it was feeding on something or other... its' constantly snatching up pods that wander within it's grasp.

I've re-scaped, though it may be hard to tell everything has been moved around just a little. I moved the open brain to the other side of the tank. The blue shroom and ric don't seem to want to stay out in the light, I may yank them from the display all together. The mini carpets have moved to a spot at the top back right which makes them less than visible all the time (unless you are looking at the tank top down).

Here are some updated pics:

pico_full_tank21_9.jpg

1_9_picozoa3.jpg

1_9_picozoa2.jpg

1_9_picozoa.jpg

1_9_picozoa4.jpg

What a shame. :( So you tried dosing phyto/egg on yours, hmm that's not very encouraging for me then. Still your tube worms do look great on it, I'd really like some more of those in my tank so I'll give the stuff a go anyway. I think that the worms make a tank look more natural and diverse. How often were/are you dosing the phyto and eggs?

I'm loving the new pics, the zoas seem to have really filled in nicely. Has the flower anemone reached it's maximum size do you think or does it still have some more growing to do?

Keep the pics coming (sorry I'm a self confessed picaholic :) ).

Regards

Ann

Yep Ann, every other filter feeder seems to go bonkers with the mix I'm feeding... there may have been other factors to the tunicats dislike of the tank that I have not figured out. ...the tube worms are kinda reaching plauge levels though (there are more on the back of the rock work, I'll try to snap a pic of that)... if you were a bit closer I would be happy to send you a bunch.

...all the anemones and LPS in the tank are getting krill,scallop,silverside or a general carnivore frozen cube I feed the clown in my other tank. I alternate what it is and feed the anemones twice a week...the LPS every other week.

• 4 weeks later...

ummm.... when is this contest supposed to be over? I think I'm going to bail on it. I've gotten my hands on a new 24 gallon aquapod, and I really want to get it set up. I'm going to transfer the contents of my 15 to it.... and I might as well transfer the contents of the pico into it as well. I originally intended to set this pico up at my office, but thats not going to happen and it does not make much sense for me to keep both tanks around the house. I'll be breaking down/setting up sometime in the next few weeks when I can set aside the time to get it done (it's gonna be a major project). I would also like to figure out what mods I may make to the pod if any and get'em done before I transfer everything. ...but that is going to happen before this contest is up sometime in March.

I think I'll be offering up the pico's Matt Gecko oak hood/36wlighting/two fans and base combo for sale here and I'll include the AQ 20 filter and AGA 50w heater as a package. ...if I hold onto it I'll be too tempted to set it up again after the 'pod gets finished.

It is a bit of a shame, because the pico has been doing so well. Aside from the tunicate and the pink zoas there have been no losses. Growth has been really good, the number of polyps has just about doubled on everything. The macro is going gangbusters and while the anemones have not split yet they have all grown considerably.

I am in general very pleased. ...but I'm taking it down anyway.

That's a bummer. :( Still I can understand you wanting to upgrade. Any chance of posting some pictures of the tank before you strip it down?

Best regards

Ann

that's disappointing, ice. can't you hold off just a while? the contest is probably just 6-weeks away from finishing. i would support an early cut-off date so that you can bail then.

c'mon, it'll take you a couple of weeks just to cycle the addtional rock (if you hard cycle it).

• 4 weeks later...

Hey, guess what?? This tank has been up and running for almost five months. As an anniversary present I've moved everything in it to a larger tank. It's down.

Here is where everything got moved to:

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...ic=51000&st=160

I didn't really start the pico for the contest.... and decided to break it down for other reasons as well. I was thinking to sell the set up... but now I think I will keep it on hand. ESP since Matt Gecko has kinda "retired" from hood building. It may make an appearance again sometime soon. ...picos can be a real challenge, but I think I had it figured out pretty well.

Good luck to everyone still in it!

The new home:

fulltankvert.jpg

New tank looks good. I'm thinking about getting a flower anemone for my next nano as well - really nice colors on that one.

They are doing well... about the size of half dollar when they are fully expanded... but no splitting as of yet, still the original two. There are new pics in my tank thread.

Archived