ReefCleaners.org

[CUSTOM] Tigahboy

Tigahboy

hey how come you never put any type of background on the tank ?? I think it would make things look a little nicer with one, things would kinda stand out more...

other than that tanks coming allong sweet man...

• Replies 931
  • Created
  • Last Reply
hey how come you never put any type of background on the tank ?? I think it would make things look a little nicer with one, things would kinda stand out more...

other than that tanks coming allong sweet man...

Thanks. I thought leaving it clear back would help make it look a little deeper than it really is (since it's only 5" deep). But I'm considering a background as well now.

Naw, keep it clear. Here's what you should do...

Clean up the stand, and turn the tank sideways, so you can view it from all three sides. That way you can fit more corals in, and view from nearly all sides, w/out having to look at the sump on the right side. Just a suggestion, but I always have liked those three sided tanks, don't see too many tanks like that around here on n-r. (there's tons of cubes, but no long tanks that are viewable from 3 sides)

Oh yeah, throw in that goby on platinum reefs, it'll look sick-tight against the black sand :)

Happy XMas Eve, Harry

that was going to be the initial plan, Harry. but something in the contest rules about "false backs" (had a talk w/ Gil about it) prevented me from doing that.

but something in the contest rules about "false backs" (had a talk w/ Gil about it) prevented me from doing that.
i thought those restrictions were only for Stock category. it thought you had a completely free-rein in Custom.

why would false-backs be an issue in Custom as long as you kept to the volumetric requirements?

That's what I thought too, Tiny. But apparently false backs aren't allowed even in custom. =/

But false sides are okay. ;)

What defines it as a side and not a back?

when u look at a tank. there is a front, back, and sides. so if it's on the side, then it's a side wall. if it's on the back, it's a back wall. if it's on the front, then u got a problem b/c u can't view your tank.

when u look at a tank. there is a front, back, and sides. so if it's on the side, then it's a side wall. if it's on the back, it's a back wall. if it's on the front, then u got a problem b/c u can't view your tank.

It seems to me that you could look at a tank from many sides. What makes one plane the front, side or back? If you have an ‘opaque false front’ what keeps you from viewing the back or sides and how is it different from having a ‘false back’?

Nednai - it's all about your point of view. if you want to get all abstract, sure there is no such thing as a back, front, side. but there's a clear front and back to me when I'm looking head on at this pico. and Gil agreed. so that's that.

not sure what else you want me to say, Mognoid? er. i mean Nednai. haha.

Nednai - it's all about your point of view. if you want to get all abstract, sure there is no such thing as a back, front, side. but there's a clear front and back to me when I'm looking head on at this pico. and Gil agreed. so that's that.

not sure what else you want me to say, Mognoid? er. i mean Nednai. haha.

I never said it was about my point of view. I clearly asked for yours. And I'm not sure what Mognoid and her opionin has to do with it. I speak for myself. hahaha!

mognoid's a girl? :huh:

bowfront's have a front.

can you have a false back on a cylindrical tank? how about a bowl/sphere?

so what was gil's reasoning that you can't have a false back in Custom? i'm kinda curious now. what is the "advantage" or "cheat" with having a false-back in Custom?

I didn't mean yours specifically. i meant it's all about one's (in general) point of view. and I shared mine.

I can understand mistyping ‘your opinion’ when you meant to type ‘one’s opinion’. But what does this have to do with my GF Mognoid?

Okay. this is rehashing old news.

but I initially thought the reason for no false backs simply precluded anyone from having like a 10g tank and then making a false back to partition 2.5g in the front. that would be cheating I agree. btw, my entire pico including the partitioned area is 2.5g total so not the same problem.

But later down the road (after I already had the design finished and submitted), Gil posted no false backs whatsoever (after the rules were already posted). When I asked Gil to clarify to me over PM, in the end he reached the conclusion that my false back does not constitute the false backs barred in the rules.

Btw, the whole side versus back distinction Gil mentioned in the PM to me was just a joke. =P

Archived