ReefCleaners.org

[STOCK] melbourne

melbourne

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks, I'm using standard super glue gel. The SPS get a small blob and right onto the foam, I dip the gel blob first so it forms a crust then press it into where I want to mount it. The polyps / mushrooms take much longer, I need them to naturally attach first to shell frags and then I super glue them to where I want them. To get them to attach to rubble, I put them in a plastic cup cut down to about a 1/3 of the normal height filled with rubble. Let the cup sit in a low flow area in my other tanks and in a few days they usually are attached to something big enough to super glue to the foam. I use tweezers to hold the tiny bit of rubble they are attached to and use the same method a glob of glue then press the frag to the foam where I want it.

The mats (GSP,etc.) I just apply a few small blobs of glue to the back of the mat and press it on the foam, the nice thing about the mats is that the form fit to the foam's surface.

Tank update:

Upgraded my lights since I wasn't happy with the color using the single 13w PC bulb. Last night I took apart a Satellite 18W fixture I had on my FW planted tank and retrofitted it into the hood. Added a few more frags as well. The left side shading is worse due to the bulb socket but I think the overall color is better with the single 18w 50/50 bulb than the AH 13w retrofit.

FTS Jan 10th

FTS_JAN10.jpg

Corner Jan 10th

corner_jan10.jpg

Purple dot mushroom

purple_dot_mushroom.jpg

Green mottled mushroom - originally mounted to wall but it detached in the evening - I'm going to leave it there.

green_mushroom.jpg

Tiny Lemnalia frag

lemnalia.jpg

Red Zoas

red_zoas.jpg

Ric with a arrangement of different colored polyps

ric_polyps_jan10.jpg

More pics

More mats :)

dmatjan10.jpg

Cream monti

cream_monti.jpg

Rare brown zoas :)

brown_zoa.jpg

Cabbage without activated carbon bits on him

cabbage_jan10.jpg

Purple mushroom

striped_mushroom.jpg

Yellow polyps with feather duster in background

yellow_duster.jpg

Toadstool with zoas

toadstool_zoas.jpg

Thanks, I hope I get better growth with the 18w bulb now. I really like the new bulb, it gives a much nicer blue light versus the white/yellowish light from the 13w 50/50. There are so many nice tanks in this contest its been really fun to follow - maybe I'll win in the foam background category :P

The tank is looking awesome. I really like the background. I've got to give you props on the tetratec filter, I had thought about using it and the thing is enormous.

The tank is looking awesome. I really like the background. I've got to give you props on the tetratec filter, I had thought about using it and the thing is enormous.

Thanks, yes the tetratec is pretty large on a 2.5 it pretty much limits me to a single bulb setup. It would work much better on a larger tank - like a 5.5g or maybe even a 10g. The corals seem to like the flow produced by it and the surge effect is pretty neat to watch. Your tank looks great also. I think we are the only 2 nano's stocking a gorgonian.

looks amazing, mel! i concur with tony, the background's looking great.

while i'm still not a fan of the foam (aesthetically speaking), your coral quality/placement/decorating more than makes up for that subjective issue imo.

looks amazing, mel! i concur with tony, the background's looking great.

while i'm still not a fan of the foam (aesthetically speaking), your coral quality/placement/decorating more than makes up for that subjective issue imo.

Thanks, the foam is an experiment for me. I wanted to try something different in a small tank, the wall effect would have been difficult to achieve economically otherwise. Hopefully I'll have enough growth in the tank in 3 months so the back will be filled in a bit :) So far the SPS have maintained their color and everything is exhibiting good polyp extension. I'm pretty happy with the foam in general - I plan on building out a larger mainly SPS nano based on either foam or agrocrete over styro with live rock in the future.

I think it looks great. I would have covered the foam in a layer of agrocrete though.

Does it look like coralline is growing on the foam yet/at all?

Thanks,

Daemonfly, no coralline growth yet on the foam wall. I've seen it grow on the foam in other tanks on RC, but they are much larger so more stable water params.

Casabubu, SPS are doing good - even seeing a little growth on them. I have the Current 18w retrofit pretty close to the water line, with a DIY adjustable mount. I'll probably add in more colorful SPS frags later this week.

Tank update, my home lost power for about 7 hours today. We had a pretty big ice storm last night. All my tanks are on UPS's. The 2.5g ran for about 2 hours before it ran out of power. My 12g ran for even less - my larger tanks ran for about 2 hours before exhausting the batteries. Everything appears to be fine except for my 12g nano, the smaller tomato clown appears to be on its last legs. I just did a water change on the 2.5g and changed out the filter/carbon. On my other tanks I'm running the skimmers extra wet crossing my fingers that everything else looks good tomorrow.

dose your tank for the coralline growth. all the corals are sucking up the calcium it needs to thrive.

Later this week I'll take a full set of params from the 2.5g. I normally don't dose until I know my current params. I've been doing water changes using water from my larger tanks, so my calcium should be around 420 or so. Holding off on adding the new SPS until the tank fully recovers from the power outtage I had over the weekend.

Here are some SPS growth pics - notice the corals are coloring up better under the 18w retro. The reflector is about 1.5" from the water line currently - I can adjust the height using a DIY rig I setup.

Old shots were taken under 13w PC 50/50 with AHSupply reflector about 1/4" off the water line. New shots are taken under 18w PC 50/50 with Current USA reflector about 1.5" off water line.

So there has been some growth, not crazy but its happening. Of course I'm only putting in the hardiest aquacultured montipora. But if the more colorful monti's that I plan on adding do well, I'll put in a hardy acro and see how it does - if I can find the space :)

Old shot digi #1

cream_monti.jpg

New shot digi #1

monti_3.jpg

Old shot digi #2

montidig02.jpg

New shot digi #2

monti_1.jpg

Old shot - purple monti on right - also notice the growth for center digi since its the oldest shot I have of the digi #1

montidigi01.jpg

New shot of purple monti

monti_2.jpg

Other misc pics

GSP mat growth

Old shot

gorg_gsp_candy.jpg

New shot - notice mat has been creeping down - sorry for blurry picture, lots of current in this part of the tank.

mat_growth.jpg

New tiny ric frag I added used tweezers to place its so small

ric_growth.jpg

Took down my planted FW nano's and consolidated my last freshwater tank into one planted 30g Oceanic cube. Here is a pic of the 3 tanks in a row.

row_tanks.jpg

It's lovely to see your Pico tank nestled in with the others. The lush green colours of the freshwater tank contrast nicely with the different colours of the reefs. B)

Your Pico is looking better and better with each new set of pictures. You must have the Midas touch!

Best regards

Ann

Thanks Ann, I'll try and take some updated tank pics this week. We had another power outtage yesterday that lasted for 17 hours. The tanks look like they are doing fine for the most part since I broke down and bought a 5.5kW gas generator after getting a quote for $8k to install a 15 kW home Generac. I like the contrast of the planted tanks versus marine as well. Your tank is truely a work of art - post up some new pics :)

Tank Update

Mounted three more monti frags, had to peel left mat off rock to make room to mount the orange monti.

Jan 20 FTS

FTS_jan20.jpg

Jan 20 Corner

cornershot_jan20.jpg

Misc tank shot

misc_shotjan20.jpg

Misc tank shot #2

misc_shot_jan20.jpg

Orange M.Digitata

orange_montijan20.jpg

Orange M.Capricornus

orange_cap.jpg

Dark Green Monti

green_montijan20.jpg

Tiny Ric detached and now settled on sandbed

detached_ric.jpg

Updated cabbage shot

cabbage_jan20.jpg

Pink Anthelia (showing some growth) started with tiny frag on purpose

anthelia_pink_jan20.jpg

Polyp arrangement updated photo

polyp_arrangement_jan20.jpg

looks good! everything seems to be growing in nicely.

is the free-floating ric a new baby? are those flatworms in the 3rd pic or some type of brownish algae/coralline? i can't really tell.

the gsp's beginning to reach for other rocks too. great job overall! B)

Tinyreef, Thanks - yup its algae :( I have a bad algae problem in my tank. I need to replace the membrane on my RO/DI. I am running a small sock of phosban but so far it has had little to no effect. The ric was a small frag I attached to the upper left of the tank last week - it detached from a bit of shell I had mounted it on.

Pili, off of Rt 118 the Preserve at Somers. We had no power from 9 AM to 3 AM the next day. I ran my tanks and 2 refrigerators and a bunch of other stuff off a 5.5kW generator I bought at Home Depot.

Oh, thats tough. Good thing you had the generator though.

Tanks looks great by the way!

Thanks, busy week at work. Was able to snap a few shots before the lights went off. Sorry for the dirty glass. Nothing new added from last time.

FTS Jan 27

FTS_jan27.jpg

FTS Corner Jan 27

FTS_Corner_Jan27.jpg

Unknown Macro Algae / Duster / Yellow Polyps

duster_algae_jan27.jpg

Kenya/Cap

cap_kenya_jan27.jpg

Various Monti's

side_monti_jan27.jpg

Wall Monti's (haven't photo'ed these in a long time)

monti_zoa_jan27.jpg

Green Monti's

monti_jan27_green.jpg

Middle of tank closeup

Middle_Jan27.jpg

Lem growth shot

lem_jan27.jpg

Archived