ReefCleaners.org

[STOCK] melbourne

melbourne

Tank Update

Added more LR rubble to mount stuff on and just finished super gluing some mats to the foam wall and rubble.

Added a few more small ric frags, a gorg frag, several mushrooms, and a single paly polyp.

Will take a FTS again when everything is out, but wanted to post up the new rockwork. Will wait a week or two before adding more stuff, thinking about adding in some more colorful zoas, need to frag them out from my other tanks. And adding in another frogspawn (different type) but it will be hard to find space. I am going to try a very hardy brown acro, that I've had for years - the only one I found to grow well under PC's, I have a frag in my prop tank waiting to go in

we'll see how it does under 13W PC.

tank_new_frags2.jpg

Toad stool and purple mushroom added about a week ago

zoo_toad_xenia.jpg

Small Kenya may move to right of tank eventually

small_kenya.jpg

Macro of one of the rics I added

newric.jpg

New mushroom

new_mush.jpg

Green center paly - will find better place once rockwork is finalized

greencenter_paly.jpg

Candy cane polyp extension, can go about double this at night under the moonlight

candy_pe.jpg

-Mike

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks,

Here is a FTS now that most of the mat coral (GSP/Bri)'s I glued to the foam / rubble are out now. I also took a corner shot and a series of shots to demonstrate the surge effect the Tetratec filter provides.

Foam is starting to show some life - various worms and such are now making their home on the surface, dusters, etc.

-Mike

FTS11-27-05.jpg

Corner shot

corner_shot.jpg

Surge sequence

surge-1.jpg

surge-3.jpg

surge-2.jpg

surge-4.jpg

Looking very, very good. Nice selection of corals you've got there so far!

Thanks, pretty much all the corals in the tank with the exception of the frogspawn and the paly are 3rd or 4th gen aquacultured frags from my other tanks.

-Mike

i agree with ice, very nice selection and placement. it's doubly great since they're all home-grown too!

i like the surge pics as well. i had forgotten about that unit/model. is it silent?

i agree with ice, very nice selection and placement. it's doubly great since they're all home-grown too!

i like the surge pics as well. i had forgotten about that unit/model. is it silent?

Thanks, Its a Tetratec PF150 with the integrated heater. Not silent, since it uses a bell siphon, so you get that air sucking/bubbling sound on each surge. Its a interesting HOB, really needs an ATO to work properly long term. It comes with two filter carts that you can re-use, I run one cart at a time, and use black diamond carbon. You can adjust the flow to control the surge interval, and in the pics the right nozzle is really the main surge outlet, the left is pretty much constant.

-Mike

looks good! I was considering getting that filter for my tank, but was concerned with the amount of flow it gives off. Are the corals happy with that much flow?

looks good! I was considering getting that filter for my tank, but was concerned with the amount of flow it gives off. Are the corals happy with that much flow?

Thanks, Most of the corals seem to be ok with the surge flow, the frogspawn and pink xenia could use a little less flow. Since the main outlet is pointed towards the front glass, the surge gets spread across the length of the tank and down - when I had the main outlet pointed towards the corner it ended up digging out the sand. The main thing with this filter is that it takes up a lot of space on a 2.5g tank so you are limiting yourself on lighting options if you go with this HOB.

-Mike

• 4 weeks later...

Tank update

Fragged large mushroom in center since it was getting too large for this tank. Left small frag on foam wall and its doing well. Larger frag has grown 2x in my other nano with the halide (pics in the members tank forum). Removed frogspawn since it wasn't doing well in the 2.5g - its recovering in the larger nano.

Added few more polyps to the wall and along the base. Will add in more frags after the holidays. Not a huge amount of growth, some of the corals are slightly larger like the toadstool and mushrooms and mats (GSP/Bri). Gorgonian is doing well with good polyp extension and the current is sufficient to keep it happy. No feedings required for tank since everything is photosynth, though I'd probably get better growth if I fed at the cost of more water / filter pad changes. Overall very little maintenance to tank beyond 10 min for the weeklyish water changes.

nanodec20fts.jpg

toadstooldec.jpg

gorg_gsp_candy.jpg

kenya_rics.jpg

Awesome! What would be really cool is if those gsp's take over the back wall. Everything is looking great.

Thanks - growth is a bit slow with just 13W PC but its happening :)

I took a few more pics to try and document the growth in the tank as it ages. Same shots I've taken previously so there is a reference to compare to.

cornershotdec.jpg

sidedecshot.jpg

A few new polyps have formed

yellowpolypgrowth.jpg

Pink Xenia grew slightly

pinkxenia25.jpg

Large ric filled growth pic

largeric25.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Tank Update

Added a few more frags over the holidays, still waiting on some mushrooms to attach to rubble so I can add in some different colors. Added in a few monti frags - if these do ok I'll stick in some more colorful ones and see how long they take to brown out :) Briarium on left wall is growing down for some reason, I thought it would have grown up towards the light - but the mat is growing down. Removed the caulestrea since it was taking up too much real estate on the top portion of the tank, I've fragged out a more appropriate sized frag of it and glued it to a reef plug, I plan on putting it on the sand bed on the right side. Added a few more zoas and a small cabbage leather frag that I attached to a bit of shell.

Decided to take a few night shots under a 1 watt Coralife moonlight for something different. Not the best pics since it was dark but it does show some of the motion from the surge (the blurry corals due to motion captured by longer camera exposure) and the polyp extension on the cabbage and other corals.

Added 100mL of Purigen in addition to the carbon if things look good after a week or two I'll add in a small chromis I got for free over the holidays.

jan01-nightshot3.jpg

cabbage_night3.jpg

cabbage_night.jpg

Pics taken now that lights are on

fts_jan01.jpg

cornerjan01.jpg

sidejan01.jpg

Cabbage

cabbage01.jpg

Cabbage Macro

cabbagemacro.jpg

Various tester Montipora Digitata frags if they fair well I'll add in the more colorful digi's. Just an FYI the Miro-4 reflector / bulb is about 1-2 cm above the water line so all the SPS are really close to the light source.

montidigi01.jpg

montidig02.jpg

montidig03.jpg

Tiny Candy frag

tinycandy.jpg

More pics

New Zoas

newzoa.jpg

Growth pics

orangezoaxeniagrowth.jpg

brigrowth01.jpg

in all reality, this tank is pretty awesome. If you can get those frags to grow significantly enough, its gonna look amazing! The foam backwall is an awesome idea, as long as it doesnt poison the tank in the long run. Keep up the good work. Where the heck do i get some amazing frags like that!?!?!? ;)

tanner g.

Thanks for the compliments. The majority of the corals in the tank I grow myself. Most originally came as frags from other reefers/coral swaps. Since everything is a common / regular color morph they should be easily found anywhere there is a good concentration of reefers. They are all easily propagated and grown and in some cases (kenya tree) self frag :)

As for the foam wall, its a bit of an experiment for me. I hope it holds out long term, since its cheap and readily available. Working on this small tank is fun, I never had to place frags with a tweezer before :P

BTW: I just realized that my reflector is in the wrong place, so the right side of the tank is darker than it should be. I moved it to do the night shots with the LED but forgot to move it back. I'll take some pics later this week to show what it should look like with even lighting.

fluidimagery

Looks great, love the pics. Tank is starting to look a lot more Natural with the the backwall becomming more "seasoned"

Thanks, hopefully I can establish coralline growth in this tank. Have never had an issue with coralline growth but it hasn't picked up yet in this tank - I'll need to do some param comparisons to my 12g nano and see what is different.

FTS shot with the reflector in the correct place. The last shot I took had the PC socket blocking light to a right side of the tank. You can see a slight difference in brightness on the right side now.

fts_corrected_reflector.jpg

Old FTS for comparison, shows how important a good reflector and its position is.

fts_jan01.jpg

Also I have a red zoa frag on the bottom middle/right that hasn't opened for 2 days now - since I added a Kenya frag above it, most likely some chemical interaction between the two corals. I'll relocate the Kenya if things don't change.

I'm also considering removing the float switch on the top right since it degrades from the tank view, and blocks some valuable wall space where I can mount more corals. Still deciding if its worth doing, since I'll have to manually top-off once I remove it.

Thanks, I think I'm a long shot for the win but thanks for the support. Lots of nice tanks out there. Removed the ATO to free up some space

on wall. Added a spotted mushroom frag last night, its still recovering on the upper right wall. Moved the red Zoa's to the far left corner they

are now opening. Going to add in some more mushrooms and some other stuff soon.

AGA 2.5 gallon reef wall

Photo #1 (with new Current USA 18w 50/50 retrofit)

FTS_Brush.jpg

Photo #2 - FTS Jan 06 (with old AH 13w 50/50 retrofit)

FTS_Surge_Jan06.jpg

[Livestock]

Florida Tan Gorgonian

Pink Pom Pom Xenia (Red Sea)

Elongata Xenia (Silver Branch)

Pink Anthelia

Green Star Polyp (Long) (Briareum)

Pink Star Polyp (Long) (Briareum)

Brown Zoanthus (ultra rare :))

Orange Zoanthus

Red Zoanthus

Tan Zoanthus

Green Zoanthus

Green Eye Zoanthus

Orange Center Zoanthus

Green Center Palythoa

Tan Cabbage Coral (Sinularia dura)

Green Ricordea Yuma

Yellow Polyp (Colony zoanthus)

Brown Kenya Tree (Capnella)

Cream Toadstool (Sarcophyton)

Cream Montipora Digitata

Purple Montipora Digitata

Brown Montipora Digitata

Green/Blue Candy Cane (Caulastrea furcata)

Blue Striped Mushroom

Purple Dot Mushroom

Green/Tan Mushroom (Rhodactis)

Misc featherdusters

1 Cerith Snail

[Equipment]

2.5 AGA glass tank

Tetratec PF150 Filter

Tetratec Heating Capsule

AHSupply Miro-4 Reflector

AHSupply 13W PC 50/50 Retrofit

Hogs Hood Canopy/Base

Corallife Digital Thermometer

DIY ATO (currently removed)

Updated pics

Rics are growing / small baby ric on upper branch.

ric_alley_jan.jpg

Kenya - hard to photograph due to current

kenya_jan.jpg

Lime Green Zoas - don't look so hot under 13w PC, used a snail shell instead of rubble to mount, got lazy.

green_zoa_jan.jpg

Archived