ReefCleaners.org

[STOCK] MinibowMatt

MinibowMatt

Im not 100% sure yet, ut I think my 2.5g has sprung a leak. I have lost about 1/2" of SW in the last 9 hours. It may have been draining through Capillary action with my heater cord. I am going to watch it for the next few hours. If my tank is leaking, do I have to drop out of the contest, or can I buy a new tank and switch everything over?

If you find the leak and it isn't too serious, I would go down and buy some marine grade epoxy and patch the hole. It may not be preatty, but at least you won't have to drop out.

thanx. I have lost anoth 1/8" of SW since 5pm yesterday. I am going to re-fill this morning and see what its like by the time i get home from work.

Updates on the possible leak?

This may seem like a dumb question, but are you sure it just isn't evaporation? I'd hate for it to really be a leak, but unless there's water around the tank and salt creep, maybe it's just evap :o

Btw, those dark purple/red zoos with the yellow center are faboo.

Yeah its a slow leak... About 3/8" of SW over the last 24 hrs. It is losing water from the rear left corner I think. The black trim on the bottom of the tank gets full of water, then it overflows to the table. I am going to try and seal it from the outside.. I dont know if it will work. :(

Oh no! Really sorry the hear that. :(

I hope that you manage to seal it up. If it's a slow leak popping a blob of silicone over it should do the job.

Best regards

Ann

I think you should be able to replace your tank. Post up to Gilman, and have him put up a vote. I would think most ppl will allow that.

-Mike

I think you should be able to replace your tank. Post up to Gilman, and have him put up a vote. I would think most ppl will allow that.
yeah, i don't think the cut-off date is in effect yet. maybe it is. check with gil.

i think he did mention something like this (i.e. re-starting a setup, tank leaks or cracks-see nanocubes) but more as concerns about people cheating.

although, imo i think it's more of a disadvantage than an advantage to be forced to re-start a system as the days roll by. if it were up to me, i'd let you do it (you'll probably need photographic proof for the naysayers though).

Well I sealed up all the corners with Silicone on the outside yesterday. It seems to have contained the leak so far. We will see what happens.

If it does continue leaking I think I will drop out. I am not happy with my lighting in this tank, and I think the corals would enjoy more. So if it leaks, I will redo the tank and add more lighting. But as I said, it does appear to have stopped so I am still in it!

• 1 month later...

well the tank is not leaking anymore. It was a problem with my tight fitting lid. It was sucking water out from the HOB spillway via capillary action.. weird huh!

I have not touched the tank in three weeks. Its growing in nicely, i need to scrape the glass and then i will post pics.

• 1 month later...

Well, I am sorry to say that one month after I thought the tank stopped leaking, It is leaking again. Badly this time. I will be purchasing a new tank today and transfer everything over. I may just throw it all in a 10G I have and throw a 175 over it. Its too bad, things were doing good if you wiped away the ###### to see into the tank...:(

sorry to hear that, matt. was it the silicone seal or glass crack?

maybe you can still take a last breath pic and use that for consideration. not sure if the judges would consider it but at least you would have that to show as your final pics.

thanx tinyreef. I will snap some pics. I am trying to get a 10g up and running, so I have just been topping off as neessary, so it isnt dismantled yet..i will post a pic..

That's a shame. :( Have you located exactly where the leak is coming from this time? What about trying a dab of silicone sealant to try and fix it? It's worked for me in the past.

Best regards

Ann

How frustrating! Is the tank under some sort of guarantee? I would hope so, it's not been running that long.

Oh well get some pictures up of how it looks now and hopefully they can be used at the end of the competition.

Best regards

Ann

Ahh, that's not good news. I know that they say tanks have a lifespan of around 8 years but it's still a shock to hear of one actually failing. If my big tank fails......?, shudder it doesn't bear thinking about. :(

Have you stripped this pico down yet?

Best regards

Ann

Archived