Innovative Marine Aquariums

Pico Contest Idea Stew

phergus_25

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rock on young reefers, I'll be in this, but most likely use it as a frag tank for my 29. Wanted to go with a "green theme", but can't afford the corals, I see it's already taken, and I don't have much green in my 29.

Wow, there's actually a lot of us teens on this site. If the contest starts on october 15th, it'll mark my 1 year anniversary in this hobby. I already know my theme. It will be what made me interested in this hobby in the beggining. The theme: the anthelia forest. As for livestock, I am thinking maybe a few of the lesser seen anemone shrimp. Then I'd be pimpin'.

I call dwarf seahorses

I used to have a dwarf tank for a year or so. They take quite a lot of work and need a very species specific tank. ie. feeding live brine daily using specialy modified flow so they dont get killed in an hob etc. Please before you do anyhting w/ dwarfs check our seahorse.org and make sure you read plenty well up on em.

No LR? Or macro? Coral too?? Jeeez... Can you at least keep sand??? Seahorse keeping does not sound fun to me...

Hey paco dude... I see you've got nice little Halo avatar there... Do you have an acount? XBL style? Who am I kidding, I'll bet half of us lil' teenage reefer dudes play! We should start a clan! that would be so cool...

So, I was on chat the other night and JMT says "you're stupid to try to do a 2.5gal sps" I asked him why he thought that... his answer was that he believed growth will be too slow to be apreciable in the six months.

I disagree, as I have seen dramatic noticable groth of sps under optimal conditions (ie: pristine water conditions, lots of light in the 10-15K range, good randomized water flow, plenty of food, and plenty of Ca, Alk, Mg, and traces). I wonder if I may even have to begin fraging some of the pieces by the end of the contest if the tank goes as well as I hope.

What are your thoughts on the posibilities of succes with sps in a tank this small and in such a short time period? Anyone...?

Cheers,

Jared

I say go for the sps tank JM... it sounds like you have a decent plan put together. ..plus if you do pull it off I would think a tank like that has a real good shot at winning. I considered doing the same myself but it would require a little more effort than I'm going to be able to dedicate to the tank.

...in the meantime I'm just waiting for those official rules.

aren't we all!

But hey, imagine if Gilman just threw together some BS, and posted it as the official rules... then nobody would be happy, and the whole contest would be riddled with "Well I thought the rules meant such-and-such" and "the rules were unclear on such-and-such, so I thought I could..."., and just a bunch of general whining! lol...

God Gilman, I hope you do a good job on those rules, I'd hate for what I just mentioned to happen... but no pressure.

Jared

well im thinking now...should i try and go up against Tigahboy and all the other VERY experienced hobbyists and go in the open category or should i stay in the basic category where there is still a chance of me winning...hmmmmm...which one...if i go in the open i can see how well i do against the big guys and if i am in the basic i may be able to win...its a very tuff dicision...anyone want to help me out with this???

how are they going to win???? it is going to be base rock...sand...and maybe macro...which some people dont use because of hydroids...thats it...no fun in that....i would say just get a different kind of seahorse and do them a 20-30-40g tank.......and use the 2.5g as a reef or w/e theme you want to do

oo gotcha...well IMO..there is more of a chance in winning with a reef..tank and not just macro...but props to you for doing it...and also its not all about winning anyway...at least for me it's not...( a reason to set-up a new tank...to really test my reefing skills...and to see how well i can do compared to the Big Guys...and to see is i can even keep the tank in GREAT condition)

Archived