Top Shelf Aquatics

Shroom's pico

mushroom head

ahh hey shroom. Sounds like a cool Idea. I'd definatly run a drainage tube up to the surface for the overflow like fish said. You could maybe even make a lil' mini stockman overflow thing for noise purposes... Viewable from all sides style! that way if the power failed, it would only drain a small amount into your sump, letting you keep the water level up in there for the HOB filters. And those 2 13w pc's sound nice for lighting. What about a return pump? I may have missed it... But I didn't see anything about that. def need one of those.

mushroom head

Hey GrizzleBee's! I am still thinking what im going to have for a return pump. I was thinking about having it a tank that i can view from all 4 sides like Fish's 2g cube but i dont no yet. Ill just have to think about it.

mushroom head

Hey Carly! I hope i get the sump worked out to! Im getting a IV dripper soon for my auto top off so i can finish my auto top off system! BTW your tank is awesome!!!!!!!

If you really wanted a drain pipe in the middle of your tank, you can find a solid piece of rock that is the shape you want, and then drill down through the center of it so the drain pipe fits inside. You could probably do the same thing with a bunch of pieces of rock rubble and some putty to stick them together. Also, if you are going to have 360 degree visibility + a sump you will need to hide two pipes - the overflow pipe and the return pipe. Let me know if this isn't making sense. If either bulkhead is in the bottom of the tank, without standpipes attached, the tank will empty completely dry the moment the pump stops.

In case you decide to go with an overflow box (internal or external) here is the thread that I was mentioning:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthre...threadid=344892

I have tried dursos and stockmans and this was by far the best way of doing it. All you need is two bulkheads in the bottom of your box and a ball valve.

- Chad

mushroom head

Hey fish! Thanks for the ideas and links! I think ill just go with a over flow box and return on the back of the tank with a back round cause i think it would be really hard to aqua scape and i just think it would just be easyer to have the over flow box and return on the back of the tank. But i may try to have the return and overflow more in the middle so i can have can veiw the tank from all sides. What do you think would look better?

you could also build a mini-weir rather than having an external overflow. you could put it in a corner which would reduce its impact on viewing space. you will still have an issue with the return though.

mushroom head

Hey man! Cool! I just found this bucket so i put the heater that im using for the tank and the power head with spray egg in it and put the aqua clear mini with sponges,floss,and a thermomter. And the bucket is about the same size as the tank will be. Im going to put the water,rock,and sand in the bucket and run that for awile untill i get the tank. Oh and for light im using the refugium light.

hey Shroom,

by a 'mini weir' i meant just a small weir. they are really common on larger tanks (in Australia at least). Basically its the same principle as a hang on overflow, except its inside the actual tank. you just divide a corner of the tank and drill through the bottom of the tank which is plumbed to your sump. this would be less obtrusive for viewing from all sides than an external overflow.

Hello Oogie and Newbiecarlz! Ohhh i see what a mini weir is now! Ill think about doing that,thanks for the idea! Thanks Oogie! My dad is going to go pick up some free xenia for me when hes done at the doctors in Regina!

Archived