Top Shelf Aquatics

Shroom's pico

mushroom head

mushroom head

Well i had lots of equipment left over from my parents 150g aquarium so i decided to start a pico. It will be a 8" acrylic 2gallon pico. it will also have a very tall sump that will fit in the stand and will be around 5gallons. So far i have a moon light(FREE),30-55GPH power head to go in the main tank($5),thermometer(FREE),DIY skimmer(FREE),2 40mm fans to go in the custom pendent(FREE),aquaclear mini to hold lots of carbon(FREE),DIY spray egg(FREE),50watt heater(FREE). And the things i need to get are the tank,some PVC tubing,DIY sump,a few PVC 90 degree elbows,(2)bulk heads,rock,sand,2 13watt PC lights,and a custom pendent. All i really want to keep are softies but i may add some lps later on.

mushroom head

Yeah,i was thinking about some halimeda in the main tank but i dont no yet. I would like a mantis shrimp but id be scared of it breaking the acrylic or glass(dont no wich one im using to make the tank yet).

It sounds like an awesome start. With so much free components, you're almost obligated to set something up :P . We definitely need some pictures though! I am really interested in seeing the tank - sounds cool.

As for the mantis, your tank (and mine) is barely big enough for the smallest of smashers (I still feel like I'm pushing it a bit). IMO you could never keep a spearer in there; besides their size, they also need a deep sandbed to burrow in and that would look kinda funny in a 2gal. JME.

- Chad

mushroom head

Hey fish! Ill get some pics up today! I think im going to do a canister filter like you but id like to use my other filters to or i could do a glass sump but i dont no were the place the bulk heads for the return and over flow. I would like to have them on the bottom like yours and just have the water drain down into the sump and then get pumped up by a power head but if the power goes out the water will just keep on draining into the sump. So i have no clue how to fix that problem. Does any one have any ideas to have the bulk heads on the bottom? The reason i would not do the canister filter is cause i have filters that i want to use on the sump and i could not put them on the canister filter. I might just have a few sexy shrimp in the tank or somthing. But i may try a mantis shrimp like you. THX

Mushroom,

The reason I invented the cannister filter mod is because it is impossible to use a sump if the bulkheads are on bottom of the tank - and not just because of the risk of a power outage, even if you could gaurantee that the power would never go out it still wouldn't work. The only way to use a sump is to have the overflow above the water level, that way the pump output determines how fast the water drains - not gravity. If you wanted to have a bulkhead in the bottom of the tank, you will need to connect a drainpipe that runs up to the top of the water line (you might be able to conceal it a bit in a rock tower though). If you were to have naked bulkheads like my tank, the filtration must be a closed loop with no openings - because anywhere there is an opening - there will be a flood. I hope this makes sense. I look forward to seeing your project.

- Chad

mushroom head

Hey fish, i have no clue what im going to do now. I would like to use the canister filter but i want to use the filters i have so i cant.and i dont no if it would look good with a overflow and the return bulk head on the back. So right now i have no clue what im going to do.

Mushroom,

Those pics look really good!

A sump would give you the most flexibility, let you use all of your equipment (including your free auto topoff), and has the potential of providing the best filtration. Another thing I like about overflows is their surface skimming - the top of your water will always look nice.

If you go with an overflow/sump approach, I would HIGHLY recommend the silent overflow approach described by a user named Herbie on Reef Central. As far as I am concerned, it is the safest, quietest, and simplest way to have an overflow and sump! I wouldn't run one without. On my 20gal, I went from a Durso standpipe (like the one in your photo) to the Herbie setup and it was the best move I ever made.

Cheers,

- Chad

mushroom head

HI,thanks for the ideas! Im also going to have it open top and that will be good that the top of the water will look nice! I cant wait to get this tank set up!

Archived