Innovative Marine Aquariums

Hair algae

DitchPlains

Any have a cure for this. I tried Turbo snails, cerith, nassairus, etc... I am using ro/di water, and still same problem....any ideas. My new method has been using a kalk slurry method to raise ph at night and gradually to back off the algae. I also have two or 3 emerald crabs at work, but nothing.its growing like wildfire. Tank is about 3 months old and 55g, This is not my first tank been doing this for nearly 2 1/2 years, but I am frigging stumped. any suggestions would help.

thanks

David

PM Limulus..he had success with a UV Sterlizer. Anyway, unless you give us some info here, no one will be able to help. What's in your tank...what are the params? what are you feeding? tested for phos? water source? etc. SH

Paramters, been seeing 0-.05 nitrates and nitrites. ph is 8.2-8.4, salinity is 1.025 (oceanic) this is a concern as I think the salt may have high phosphates in it. Straight RO water, I just changed my filters, not the membrane after 6 months, with new carbon block, and sediment filters. I can't check for phosphates as I dont have that test kit yet, sadly, I cant find someone locally who has a Salifert or Lamonte one.

thanks

Dave

Turbos barely touch it, and they cant keep up its growing like wildfire, its brownish hair algae, and the diatoms are all over the sand n my 6 Tongan nassirus arent helping much there either, I think its time for a conch or some other type of snails, I never had a problem like this, its kinda freaking me out.

thanks

Dave

2 clowns and 1 small yellow tang, and although he eats the hair as his onyl source of diet with an occasional prime reef flake, nothing else. Anyways, I do not feed frozen food, I only feed dried cyclopeeze, except the frozen krill to my carpet anenmone.

thanks

Dave

Same boat as you buddy--

Right now, I bought a dwarf sea hare...I tried those turbos (the really big fat ones and the mexican turbos--neither will do anything about it)...the dwarf sea hare I hope will be a little more promising and I find him to be quite cute too.

My friend kept them in his tank...although people say that sea hares will crash your tank, as long as you keep your water good it's alright--they only release toxins for protection, and not necessarily death.

I will let you know how I fare with him...he looks like a sliding piece of mud with bunny ears.

Thanks for the moral support, albeit without any other ideas too. It's daunting isnt it, when you've been in the hobby fro some time, and you get stumped. I have to say this hobby is always challeneging, and always always a learning experience for sure. Well good luck, by "fat turbos" I think you mean the Zebra turbos from the gulf, not from the sea of cortez. Well good luck to you too..

ciao

Dave

I don't know Dave. Obviously you're not over feeding.

My tank went through this around the same time as yours(about three months in). Time and turbos did it for me. Hopefully it's just a phase in the early life of the tank.

Manual removal combined with "doing what you're doing" may work over time.

Sorry I didn't have much help to offer!

Rob

DP--

I've tried all of these...perhaps go down the list to see if it really is as stubborn as mine...

- Mix my own saltwater with Tropic Marin salt and RO water from my own filter

- Run Phosban/Rowaphos

- Reduce lighting to 6 hours

- 10-15% water change weekly

- Heavy manual removal

- Check the age of your bulbs...change if over 6 months

- Once a week hand-feeding (for no floaters) only

Doing all of the above has reduced the growth, but it hasn't gotten rid of it--if you've done all of the above...then you're screwed just like me ;)...but if not, I would try those that you haven't tried yet. Good luck to you.

On a side note--checking for phosphates is pretty unecessary--as algae will consume it almost instantly so you will always come up with 0 or untraceable phosphates.

Rob, don't worry man, and thanks for your input, I actually think it might just be a phase, and hoping that time, and as you said "doing what I am doing" will change the state of my tank. Its weird my xenia are flourishing, so is my gsp and my carpet, just algae is growing like crazy.

Rbaby, yea I think I will invest in a rowaphos reactor this weekend, as a supplimental water purifier. I am switiching to Tropic Marin as I heard that people have trouble with phosphates in Oceanic salts. I am hoping that with like you said 10-15% water changes weekly will make a huge difference. My new sediment filters on my RO unit should also help.

Man you wont believe what is collected in an ro unit after 6 months. My 5 mircon sediment filter looked like brown goop. I washed out my canisters and flushed the membrane for like 5 min straight until I was sure it was clean, then I ran a test 10g, sadly no tds meter. Have to invest in one.

Thanks guys & gal

Dave

The biggest step is manual removal--I think long hairy algae is quite unappetizing...that's why hairy algae eaters will only graze on short hairy algae.

Manual removal + phosban and good water quality and water changes--yours should go away. Brown hairy algae is a lot easier to rid yourself of than green.

sorry yes I do have a dsb, I was actually saying I have been in the hobby for 2 1/2 or more years. As far as a dsb going south after that time, thats speculative. I have heard from Anythony Calfo, and from friends that have kept a working dsb for nearly 10 years, without even using the stirring method. Its all a matter of the amount of detrius, and food put into the tank that is allowed to collect. Everyone has different results but if setup properly and maintained with proper water changes shouldnt be a problem to go the distance. Not trying to start a debate on that topics as its a doosy...lol but thanks for that idea, if it was an older tank yea, could be releasing phosphates or worse unconverted nitrates.

thanks dzhou

Dave

Over the last 6 month I've had that problem with my 55 gal. My nano is clear of any algae.

In addition to the other sugestions here's mine.

Add a DI filter to your RO filter. Your RO water I'm guessing has a TDS of 15ppm or greater. The DI filter will reduce it to 0. They only cost around $20, and are well worth it.

I run a phosBan reactor. This may not work on a nano.

Next time you buy salt get the best Tropic Marine REEF. Its a little better than the standard Tropic Marine.

Mine has stop growing, and I think it is slowly going away.

DP - have you tested for PO4? I'm not a big fan of turbos, but I do like lawnmower blennies!! Try one of those....

You might try a different saltmix. Many have complained about mysterious algae blooms with that salt...of course many sing it's praises...go figure!

snookface1

Hey man thanks for the response.

Yea my RO unit has DI, but sadly I have been to cheap to buy the resin bag needed to use it again, so I've been running just ro water. Tropic Marin reef sounds awesome, I am just strapped for cahs right now or I would for sure.

OTF havent tested for Phosphates yet, going to buy a salifert kit on saturday. yes the Oceanic salt mix dillema is vast and well disputed on both sides with good and bad results, I'm not knocking it totally as I had good results bfore, but for this tank I think not. Back to Tropic Marin!

Going to follow Rbaby's idea of scrubbing the rocks first, then putting then backwith a huge water change 25 -50% of my water.

thanks guys

Dave

how did the scrubbing go? did you use plain ro water? i thought that this would kill any worms living in your rock.

please let me know how it went for you. thanks!

Archived