My 50g custom project

Sinistard

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by InuYasha

Impressive, now fill it!!!! ;)

Thanks.

I wish I could fill it. I still need to get the plumbing done, make my light "hood" and figure out what tanks I'm going to use for my fuge and sump tanks.

Here is a picture of the tank and stand where it will end up once it's done.

newlocation.jpg

Wow, awesome tank. I've been seriously considering ordering a tank from Socalcreations about the same size and setup. If you don't mind me asking, what price range did this tank cost you? You can PM to me if that's OK.

Thanks.

The tank ended up costing me $350.

It was more then I originally wanted to spend but I got exactly what I wanted and a very well built tank. I figured I should do it right the first time so I will not want to upgrade right away.

I have started my plumbing. These parts are not glued yet, I'm making sure everything will fit before I glue anything.

I used 1" PVC for all the return and the closed loop intakes and then stepped them down to 3/4" before all the returns.

I have union ball valves on all the returns and the closed loop intakes so I can adjust flow and so I can take out parts if needed.

On the overflow drain I used 1.5 inch PVC and then a Y fitting to split it to the sump and fuge. I dropped the side going to the sump down to 1" and the side going to the fuge to 3/4" and I am going to put on gate valves to control flow through each tank.

plumbing1.jpg

All the plumbing fits within 5" so I can get it as close to the wall as I possible.

plumbing2.jpg

That's all I could get done today since I need a couple parts to finish.

Any suggestions or comments are welcome.

Thanks

Thanks Sebea

------

For my sump and fuge I decided to just use standard 10g AGA tanks to save some money.

I needed bulkheads in both of them so I figured I would try drilling them myself with my Dremel.

I got 2 diamond point bits parts #s 7103 and 7144

glassdrill8.jpg

First I marked my hole with permanent marker.

glassdrill1.jpg

Next I used plumbers putty to make a damn to hold water to cool the glass and the bit. I changed out the water several times as it became cloudy

glassdrill2.jpg

First I used the bit #7103 to score the circle. I probably went 1/4 through the glass this way. Then I used the same bit to make a small hole all the way through the glass.

glassdrill3.jpg

glassdrill4.jpg

I then used the bit #7144 to cut the rest of the way around the circle. I had to pour water in with one hand to keep up with the water leaking into the hole. I propped up one end of the tank to make it so the hole was a bit higher then the the part of the glass I still need to cut so the water would not all drain

glassdrill5.jpg

The finished product, not a perfect circle but I think it will do

glassdrill6.jpg

The bulkhead installed

glassdrill7.jpg

I guess it's a bit late now but is it ok to have a hole in the bottom of a 10g tank?

I have the plumbing almost completely laid out, the only thing left is to finish the plumbing to the closed loop pump. I don't have it yet so I can't finish.

I drilled both tanks and added the shelf for the fuge. It got pretty cramped in the stand with the 2 10g tanks but I think I will be ok. I have 2 American DJ power strips I need to figure out a place to put. I think they will end up mounted on the back of the stand.

Here are a couple pictures, the closed loop pump is going to go on the shelf behind the fuge tank.

plumbing3.jpg

plumbing4.jpg

I am going to stick a stand pipe in the bulkhead on the bottom of the fuge to drain into the sump.

plumbing5.jpg

I have started gluing the PVC, nothing to exciting. I still need to paint the shelf for the fuge.

I still need to get a few more parts to finish the plumbing on my closed loop. I got a Pan World 200PS pump for the closed loop and it came in on Friday so now I know what parts I need to finish the job.

Oh and what do you all suggest for dampening noise from the pumps. I got a piece of rubber but I don't know if its going to help. I tested my return pump and it sounds like it is going to viberate a lot.

Thanks

My plumping is mostly laid out and about 1/3 of the way glued. All I have to do is finish of the drain to the sump and fuge and all my pieces are cut, I need a union for one of these and need to go get it tomorrow.

Here is the plumbing

plumbing6.jpg

It is pretty tough to tell from the picture where things go so here are the different piped labeled.

plumbing7.jpg

A couple close ups

plumbing9.jpg

plumbing8.jpg

I installed a drain so when I do water changes or need to drain the tank I can hook up a garden hose. It is connected to the closed loop drain.

plumbing10.jpg

Thanks lgoins, BelowH2O.

seis66, nope no wheels. It's setting on 2 2x4s.

My PVC is 90% glued, I messd up on the closed loop drain and the unions did not match up just right so I have to cut and patch. I hope to be able to leak test by the end of this weekend.

I finally got all the plumbing so everything fits and glued.

Here is the final product, the major additions are the drains into the sump and fuge. Both have gate valves so I can tweak the flow into the fuge.

plumbing11.jpg

Every section is removable to make it easier to change something, move the tank or to clean the PVC. Here is a picture of all the parts off the tank

plumbing13.jpg

The tank with the parts off.

plumbing12.jpg

Here are the 2 stand pipes, one in the overflow and the other one in the fuge.

plumbing14.jpg

plumbing15.jpg

I need to paint the fuge stand and seal the inside of the stand then I will leak test everything and hopefully be able to add salt water soon.

that is one of the best plumbing jobs I've seen!

My only suggestions might be to upgrade your skimmer...especially if you are planning this as an SPS tank.

Originally posted by Zapatista

that is one of the best plumbing jobs I've seen!

My only suggestions might be to upgrade your skimmer...especially if you are planning this as an SPS tank.

Thanks, you also have some nice plumbing coming along on your tank.

I was very happy with the way mine came out. I had a few "mess ups" that I had to fix by cutting and sticking back together. Live and learn.

Also thanks for the suggestion on the skimmer. I plan on getting something bigger down the road I got a great deal on the urchin with the aqua medic light, and iwaiki pump so I'm going to use it for now. Also when I got the urchin my tank was going to be 50 at the biggest....LOL. I'm thinking about getting a GEO, euro reef, or ASM skimmer down the road. The guy who makes the GEO skimmers is local and I have heard good things about his products. www.geosreef.com

My plan is to have a mixed reef with SPS up high and LPS around the bottom. I hope to be able to get higher flow to the top and keep it lower around the bottom.

Thanks again.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally some updates...

I have been busy with other stuff and have not had much of a chance to work on my tank. I finally got some time today.

I decided to up the sump from 10g to a 20g long tank. I was worried about the level of water in the 10g and also worried about a pump failure causing an overflow in the sump.

I had to rework some plumbing to get the 20g to fit, mostly on the sump return line. Here are a few pictures of the final plumbing. It is all glued and will be ready to leak test tomorrow :D

plumbing16.jpg

plumbing17.jpg

plumbing18.jpg

Now all I need to do is build the hood, run the electric, stick a bubble trap in the sump and finish a bit of sealing and will be ready to add water.

I really like the black PVC choice. I've always wondered why more people don't use black PVC. I know you have to order it (unless you already live close to Savko like you do) but I think it looks SO much nicer

ProFlatlander15

^ditto what calvin said... i would have done that but they dont have it here...(atleast i havent seen it). excellent job on the plumbing, very neat. i hope you can figure out what goes where, cuz i cant, lol. very impressive, i love it when people go all out.

Archived