Cultivated Reef

My 50g custom project

Sinistard

Here are my plans for bulkheads. I put in 4 returns for the Closed loop. I may end up only useing 2 but I will add plumbing for 4 just in case I decide to do an OM squirt down the road and just cap off the 2 I don't use.

What do you think, should I move any of the bulkheads?

bulkheadssmall.jpg

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well plans have changed on the tank. I decided to get it from socalcreations instead of Ostrom. Not that I did not think Ostrom would make a good tank it's just that I could not find enough information about them or even anyone that had got a tank from them. Also they bend there front corners which I don't like as well as the squared look and use tinting on the back not colored acrylic which I don't think will look as nice.

I know that socalcreations will make a good tank and it will be exactly what I want and Randy has been very helpful. Even with shipping socalcreations price was very completive.

Thanks again to Randy at socalcreations.

Yup, after seeing tanks like yours Tigahboy and others they have made it made it much easier to make up my mind. Plus Randy has been a big help and there prices are very good.

Well after changing my mind several times and convincing my wife the bigger tank is going to look ok I have decided on a 44x18x20 tank with an external overflow and black back. I wanted to get as big as I could in the space and it was not much more to go bigger, mostly just more cost in shipping. So now its my 68.6 gallon custom project ;)

I saw Rob's tank that socalcreations made with the external overflow and decided this was the way to go and the guys at socalcreations did not charge anymore on this size of tank for it.

Here is my "final" plan for bulkhead and the dimensions for today at least. Do you think I will have a problem with sand being blown around with closed loop returns so low?

bulkheads68small.jpg

The ETA on my tank is Sept 16th so in the mean time I am working on the stand. I started by making the top.

Here is the 3/4" plywood I am making the top out of. I cut the piece of plywood big enough that I will have 1/8 gap on all sides between the cove molding and my tank.

Stand1.jpg

Next I added a 3/4"x1/2" trim to the outside to give it a nice edge. Like my ghetto clamps (blue tape). It took a lot of measuring to ensure I would have the 1/8 space on each side since the edge molding and the cove molding made me end up with some odd numbers.

Stand2.jpg

After I stuck on the edges I added the cove molding to the top for the tank to set down in.

stand3.jpg

All the measuring worked out the space between the cove molding came out to 44.25"x18.25" exactly.

stand4.jpg

stand5.jpg

So far I am happy with the way the top has turned out, next I will work on the frame.

Here are a few more pictures of my stand coming together.

I made a frame out of 2x4s. More thanks goes out to Randy at socalcreations, I called him to find out what he used to make pocket holes to connect the 2x4s and he told me about the kreg pocket rocket kit. It makes sticking together 2x4s much easier and clean looking.

stand6.jpg

I added 3/4" ply to each end for looks and for more support. I may have over done it a bit with the frame. I think this stand will hold up a small car but better safe then sorry ;)

stand7.jpg

Next I cut 1x4s to make the outside shell. These will go on all 4 sides and the doors on the front will be made out of the same wood.

stand8.jpg

I used a biscuit joiner and biscuits to join the 4 outside edge of the shell so I will have a nice clean look with no screw or nails showing from the outside. Again I wish I had a nice set of clamps these joints would be much tighter and probably stronger. I could not even use my ghetto tape as clamps for these. After these dry they will get stuck on all 4 sides of the frame

stand9.jpg

stand10.jpg

stand11.jpg

stand12.jpg

This is the crown molding that will go under the top after I get it all stuck together.

stand13.jpg

That’s it for tonight the glue is drying and I'm out of wood so back to Lowes tomorrow X)

Hmmmm... Sinistard.... Norm Abram.... Hmmmm.... Excellent work! But ya know, if the wife sees that quality work from you, she might make you work on those steps next. LOL. I'm just jealous that you have a biscuit joiner.

socalcreations

Comming together nicely! You could for sure park a small car on that stand, lol. Nice work with the biscuts, you're one the right track for a great stand!

Thank all for the compliments.

Norm Abram you say....: .... Keep it on the down low ;).

I wish I was Norm Abram then I would have some big clamps to stick this stuff together. A very nice compliment being compared to him though.

I got some more done on the stand.

For the 2 end pieces I routed the edges. Both doors will be done this way as well.

stand14.jpg

Here is one of the end pieces, they will go on both ends of the stand in front of the Plywood.

stand15.jpg

Here is the frame with all 4 outside shell pieces stuck on. The top is just sitting there for now and I need to add the crown molding.

stand16.jpg

Here is what the crown molding will end up looking like on one of the ends. I was holding it up to the stand.

stand17.jpg

And now that I have the frame/shell all stuck together I'm sure it will hold a small car, its is heavy and sturdy as hell. Almost to heavy X)

Now all I need to do is make some doors, a bottom shelf, stick it together and paint.

Socalcreations has a few pictures up of my tank in the works.

I have not had time to work on the stand but I hope to have it built by Tuesday so I can get it painted and sealed.

mytank1.jpg

mytank2.jpg

mytank3.jpg

More work on the stand.

I got the doors done. For these I used pocket screws not biscuits to try it out. It went a bit easier.

stand18.jpg

stand19.jpg

I went ahead and screwed on the top.

stand20.jpg

And added the crown molding

stand21.jpg

stand22.jpg

Here it is with the doors setting in the opening

stand23.jpg

Thanks ProFlatlander, my wife got the joiner for me for my last Birthday:)

Here are a few more pictures it's getting close to being done.

I stuck the hinges on and got mounted the doors to figure out what needed sanded or adjusted. I was very happy with how well they fit, the opening was a little out of square but it's hardly noticeable.

stand27.jpg

I added a piece of 3/4 ply to make the bottom of the stand. I plan on sticking silicone around the edges so if anything leaks inside the stand it will not end up on the rug under the stand.

stand26.jpg

Next I added 1/4 ply the the back of the doors and sanded the seams to be very flat.

stand24.jpg

stand25.jpg

Next I filled in any bigger gaps with wood filler and sanded the whole stand with 120 grit sand paper then 220 grit to give it a smooth finish.

stand28.jpg

I used Kitlz Oil based primer for the inside of the stand to make it extra water resistant.

stand29.jpg

Then I used Kiltz latex primer on the whole stand. I put on 2 coats and plan on putting on a finish coat of interior paint followed by a few coats of Minwax Polyacrylic to make it as water proof as I can.

stand30.jpg

socalcreations

Stand looks amazing! It will look even better when the tank arrives, shipped out today (Wednesday Sept 14th)! You should have it by Tuesday. Let us know how everything turns out.

Originally posted by socalcreations

Stand looks amazing! It will look even better when the tank arrives, shipped out today (Wednesday Sept 14th)! You should have it by Tuesday. Let us know how everything turns out.

Awesome, Thank you again for helping me get the right tank.

Thanks about the stand, I am looking forward to seeing the tank on it.

Here are picture from socalcreations site of the final product. It looks very nice I can't wait to see it in person.

tank4.jpg

tank5.jpg

Thanks EnFuego

The tank arrived today. It was very well packed and as far as I can tell it made it through the cross country trip undamaged. Thank you socalcreations for the help and delivering a great product.

Packaging

Outside was a cardboard box

arrived1.jpg

Inside the cardboard was a box made out of a hard "cardboard" box

arrived2.jpg

The box was filled with packing and foam blocks

arrived3.jpg

Even has a foam panel to set the tank on when it goes on the stand

arrived4.jpg

Free T-shirt ;)

arrived5.jpg

And the Tank :)

arrived6.jpg

arrived7.jpg

Now I just need to get the stand done. It's all built I just need to finish painting and sealing and it will be ready to go.

Well I'm off to get some plumbing supplies so I can get started.

Thanks again Socalcreations.

Here is my start on plumbing supplies, I'm sure I will need more. I'm lucky savko plastic is around 10 min from my house so I can pick up all the stuff I need. http://www.savko.com/

plumbingstuff.jpg

This is what the guy sold me is it the right cement or is there a better one.

pvccement.jpg

Here is the tank on the stand that is like 95% done:) I just need to put on some handles on the doors and coat the inside with poly-acrylic.

I added some trim to the doors and on the ends as you can see. It is painted "silver splendor" that's the color of our molding.

stand31.jpg

stand32.jpg

Does anyone know if you can get 3/4" bulkheads that are thread/slip that fit in a 1.5" hole? The 3/4" bulkheads I got fit in a bigger hole, the same as a 1" bulkhead. They have thread/thread or slip/slip that fit in the 1.5" holes I have drilled but I would like thread/slip if I can find them.

Thanks

Archived