Pod Your Reef

do u know what this is??

Auryn

Both of the following 'things' have been in my tank from day 1

I believe they were hitchhikers on some lr

the first one started out the size of about ( ) this big

its got a gelatinous texture and consistency to it

very resilient

the base is quite small compared to the diameter of the mushroom like head it has

it seems to be made up of lots of little bubbles

if i had to compare it to anything it would be the alveole in human lungs

the second one started out as a little branch like piece

it was dark purply red

now its become more of a purple with bluish tips

its got an elkhorn sort of lay out to it

red2.jpg

red1.jpg

branch1.jpg

Last one is branching coralline algae. Not sure about the first...

That first one is awesome. Maybe some kind of mushroom? Doesn't quite look like a sponge, nor macro.... Though it could be either. Hmm...

I dunno, it's slimy and squishy...Most "red bubble algae" is at least somewhat firm. I think.

It'd be pretty darn cool if it was a mushroom... But, again, it may well be macro or a sponge or...?

Try Dr. Ron or Anthony Calfo, both of which have their own forums at RC.

Auryn - I have no idea what it is, but I have one myself. Came on my LR during the cycle, as a tiny, tiny little growth. In about four months, it's at least quadrupled in size. My turbo snail recently tore it from the rock, and I have it in a deli cup trying to get it to attatch to a small chunk of LR.

Anyway, no idea what it is, but I like mine. :P

Caesar: Not a sponge. It has no pore structure. Also definitely not a mushroom. With mine, while the texture is the same as Auryn's, it's growing out looking almost like a kenya tree coral, or something similar.

That's what I was thinking on the sponge issue. BUT my eyeballs just don't work right, so I figured maybe there was something I wasn't seeing. Could be a mushroom.

Softy! Why didn't I think of that? Could be.

I know, it's awesome. You should send me some to ID properly. :D

Originally posted by Howf777

sounds pretty hardy too and fast growing

Grows very fast. To add on to my previous anecdote, it didn't grow much at all for the first few months. Then the conditions must've hit optimum, and it had a massive growth spurt over the course of two, maybe three weeks.

Also, a small piece that tore off of it has already attatched to the piece of LR I've got it with. The large chunk, however, hasn't. *shrug*

Got a closeup pic--either of you? I'd love to see more detail.

Originally posted by Caesar777

Got a closeup pic--either of you? I'd love to see more detail.

I'm in the process of pic taking, but my camera is horrible, so don't expect much detail. :P

mine is a super fast grower too

first got it back in feb on a piece of lr and thats what it looks like now

at first it was the size of like a 'nerds' piece of candy

its very strongly attached cause my snails are constantly trying to squeeze between it and a piece of lr and it hasnt moved

glad to know someone else has some too

i love mine

its one of my fave things in my tank

Pretty awsome. But I still have no idea. Soft coral seems the most likely now..Maybe.

does it react at all when you touch it.. it looks a lot like bubble coral.. but ive never seen a red one.. i would guess its some type of algae..but either way its really cool.. the color is awsome.. if you find out what it is.. let me know..

Here's a pair - working on tricking my camera into giving me better color so I don't have to turn the contrast and gamma way up.

red19ti.jpg

red25rf.jpg

So, who wants on the waiting list for a frag of my Acanthastrea Redthinginata? Going for $600 for a 1cm frag! Act fast!

I posted over at Reef Frontiers, in Calfo's forum. We'll see.

Archived