SaltCritters.com

do u know what this is??

Auryn

Originally posted by reef 'n ale

Cetra, your looks "less bubbly" than Auryn's. Do you think?

Rob

As I said, mine is growing differently - much less of a blob and more branchy. However, mine looked somewhat bubblier before he got torn from his rock two days ago by my snail. :P

(also, when I first saw Auryn's, I was immediately reminded of how mine looked when I first noticed him, before he started shooting out size-wise)

Originally posted by Cetra324

So, who wants on the waiting list for a frag of my Acanthastrea Redthinginata? Going for $600 for a 1cm frag! Act fast!

Put me down! :D

Rob

Those two look different.

Here's what Anthony said:

looks like ascidians to me from this view/image. Colonial tunicates (versus the larger, solitatary "sea squirts")

If you can offer a closer, clearer full-frame shot... we might be able to confirm it.

Photo tip... get the subject as close to the glass as possible, and get your camera as close to the (other side ) of the glass as possible. Much better images usually. Also... do NOT use the digital zoom, but only the mechanical zoom, if any. Digital zoom is good for nothing more than ruining pictures IMO

mine doesnt react at the touch- not that I have noticed at least

does yours cetra??

i wouldnt mind mine growing all branchy like- itd probably be pretty

thanks for looking around Ceasar

I will try taking a closer shot when I get home from work

I have to frag the green star polyps that are on the same rock this week so maybe I can get a better shot

Originally posted by Auryn

mine doesnt react at the touch- not that I have noticed at least

does yours cetra??

Nope. It doesn't change size at all.

Reef_Mad_Man

red sea squirt colony aka red tunicates. They grow atatched to one another and on eachother taking on the apearanc eof an rbta some times.

I woud bet my bottom buck thats what it is.

I think the other branching red thing could the same thin gjust growing upwards instead of out.

Yup, that's what Calfo said, and I trust his reef knowledge 100%. DEFINITELY an educated and intelligent reefer, always has extremely helpful advice on IDs, water chemistry, equipment, ethics...Anything. (Okay, so I'm sort of a Calfo groupie... : ;) )

Reef_Mad_Man

Tunicates/ Sea squirts are filter feeders not light lovers. Well partialy, they do like light but dont need it souley to survive. They love phyto plankton. So get some dt's phyto and your set.

awesome- thanks Reef_Mad

I do have phyto at home- so I guess I'm going to have to add it to my feeding regime

All the searches I did for tunicates didn't give anything similar to this thing- oh well- its all good

Always.

But hey, if it's been growing, then you must be doing it right. (I'd recommend not moving it, as it clearly enjoys being where it is.) Try feeding it, definitely.

fed the tunicate yesterday

seems happy

it emitted 3 air bubbles today

at first i thought they were just caught among its nooks and crannies and were from the filtration so i tried to take them out with a little stick- they were damn near impossible to get to come out so I am guessing the tunicate is emitting the bubbles- its own way of burping I guess- better out than in

my retarded astreas decided to havea jaunt under the lr where the branching coralline is and knocked the rock into the side of the tank breaking off a piece of coralline

i left the broken pieces in there to see if they will attach themselves somewhere else

'just thought id share

Archived