Cultivated Reef

!!!20G Mixed Reef!!!

TheCoralReef731

Anyone have any opinions on the lights?

Is "mixed reef" just a title that you chose or do you really plan on keeping both SPS and LPS corals? If you plan on keeping SPS those flourescents are gonna have to go. Halides are what you will need.

if you're going with PCs i'v had very good experience with current usa orbit fixtures :P

be careful with putting the sump/refugium on a mantle shelf. each gallon is like 10lbs.

TheCoralReef731

New Red Banded Boxing Shrimp

SALT2005_1020AA.JPG

SALT2005_1020AB.JPG

These Two Shots may show some of the life that I found on the rock. Also, I got 10 blue legged hermit crabs, and one more turbo snail to replace the one that commited suicide. Now my other snail is almost dead. I have no clue why, maybe sadness????

SALT2005_1020AD.JPG

SALT2005_1020AE.JPG

bogart - This is what I have heard from many people. That their lights from Odyssea turn out really bad and either burn out, start a fire, or dim really quickely. Other people think that their lights are very good for the price and have never had problems with them. The question is if whether I am willing to risk it.

neptune-usd - Yes, that is exactly what I meant. The mixed isn't gonna come for a while. I am just a student, and getting a first job is pretty hard. Once I get enough money, I will buy some lights sufficient for some SPS, most LPS, and all softies.

babycakes - Hello babycakes. I really like your tanks, but as I mentioned above, I would like to have some SPS as well. I have scraped the shelf idea, because I now have a very capable drainage system on the outside. I will either put a 10 gallon or a 20 gallon fish tank in the stand (to use as a sump) and use a mag pump or something else to pump it back up. Maybe later, I will add a very small refugium above the tank, but nothing too big.

Sorry about those last two pics. They aren't very good at all.

• 1 month later...
TheCoralReef731

I got LIGHTS!!! It is a 175watt MH pendant. Really lights up the tank. My clownfish got scared at first, cause there was so much light. Photos to come soon.

TheCoralReef731

After much difficulty with the digital camera, I finally managed to get semi-descent pictures from the tank. Now, this is a pendant, so my whole room is now blue. It really lights up the tank, and I'm hoping that for x-mas, I'll get a bunch of corals (or more money for them anyways). So now, onto the pictures...

FISH2005_0101AA.JPG

FISH2005_0101AB.JPG

FISH2005_0101AC.JPG

FISH2005_0101AE.JPG

I also rearranged the aquascaping more, so that there is more of a solid base on top of the 3 rock pillars. Now, the corals should be able to fit more into the top (that is, once I get them)

FISH2005_0101AI.JPG

Here is a pick of my electrical center and the ballast for the pendant. Not too much stuff plugged in yet, so hopefully it's not too much of a fire hazard.

FISH2005_0101AL.JPG

I have also been pretty busy building a very nice, but not necessarily nice looking sump. I used the glass panes from a 10 gallon. I tried to cut them, but it is safety glass, and shatters instead of a clean cut.

FISH2005_0101AO.JPG

FISH2005_0101AS.JPG

But...to make room for the sump, I have to clean up a lot of my fish stuff. It just gets everywhere. My room, attic, family room, basement. Geez, this hobby is crazy.

FISH2005_0101AM.JPG

FISH2005_0101AW.JPG

TheCoralReef731

I was thinking about that, but with this setup, the water is forced through the live rock, while in the refugium, it would just flow over it. As you can probably tell, I believe that Live Rock is the best filtration. Hehehe.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
TheCoralReef731

Yep...Here ya go:

I went to the LFS today and got MY FIRST CORAL. It has a few types of corals in it, but the main thing is zoos, two types. Here are a few pics, but they aren't very good. I need some type of underwater case or something. Any ideas?

DSCF0192.JPG

DSCF0195.JPG

Got a picture of the inside of my MH (guess I was a little bored)

DSCF0196.JPG

I also cleaned up a little while making a mess of the PVC parts, and I put this rack on my cabinet door.

DSCF0202.JPG

Also, here is the plumbing job with the bad pump. It overheated too much, so now I took it out, and am getting a Mag7.

DSCF0175.JPG

DSCF0177.JPG

Well, guess what else I got...

FISH2005_0204AE.JPG

FISH2005_0204AG.JPG

Dag sold it to me. He's a really nice guy, with a great setup. It hasn't moved much, but did wedge into a rock crevice, so hopefully it is happy with it's spot.

Archived