Innovative Marine Aquariums

!!!20G Mixed Reef!!!

TheCoralReef731

TheCoralReef731

Well, I finally got around to setting up my tank. So, without further blabbling, here is my 20 gallon tank.

With Lights (The heater is in front for easy access during the Summer)

DSCF0048.JPG

Whole Setup

DSCF0041.JPG

My Themed Handles

DSCF0044.JPG

My Clowns

DSCF0030.JPG

Close Shot of Live Rock

DSCF0051.JPG

TheCoralReef731

20 Gallon Tank (24x12x16)

2 Flourescent Lights (soon to change)

30 Lbs of Uaniva Live Rock

2 Lbs of each: Vanuatu, Bali, and Tonga

AquaClear Filter

Powerhead 275

20 Lbs of Seeded Sand

100 Watt Heater

Livestock:

2 Ocellaris Clownfish

2 Turbo Snails

TheCoralReef731

This looks like an ordinary earth worm, but seems to be able to shrink and expand. I have so far found 2 of these in the tank, with one being about 8 inches long and the other 5 inches long.

DSCF0020.JPG

This could either be a piece of SPS or a Sponge. It is purple, and has the shape of a cactus.

DSCF0035.JPG

TheCoralReef731

I am beginning to feel that there is too much rock in the tank. I may take some out, and create more space for the fish and corals.

TheCoralReef731

phergus_25 - Thanks the the comment, glad you like it.

gjones - Yes, the refugium will have gravity return the water back to the tank.

TheCoralReef731

Okay, I need some help deciding what type of lights to go with. MH or T5 HO will be fine for me, since I plan on keeping SPS. I want something in my budget, which is under $150 dollars. So far, I have found these:

http://www.hellolights.com/hidretrofitkit.html - Not sure what is better, magnetic or electronic, and pulse or probe start. Anyone have a clue?

http://www.aquatraders.com/index.asp?PageA...WPROD&ProdID=19 - I have heard good and bad things about Odyssea, but they are so cheap, I could get two for ~90.

http://oceanencounter.com/Merchant2/mercha...tegory_Code=PEN

http://oceanencounter.com/Merchant2/mercha...gory_Code=EVMHR

Get the 250watt HQI double ended pendant and just use a 14K bulb so you won't need actinics. I also like the t5's, butI think you'd need more than 4 t5 bulbs. I'm trying to find a cheap 6 to 8 bulb retrofit, or just get a few smaller ones for my 29. The upside to the t5's is they're more efficient, so less $$$ for electric bill, and they run cooler. MH upsides, only 1 bulb to change, and you change it out once a year, your tank is a tall, not wery long or wide tank, so the light will cover everything nicly. for your price range, you should go with the 250 HQI double ended pendant

The T-5s will be fine as long as water quality remains high. I don't know about the oddysea's either, $90 is almost too good to be true.

Another positive aspect of HO t-5s is the bulbs can run for over a year if not overdriven, and replacement cost in the long run will be about the same as MH. Also, more bulbs means more color combinations/options.

If you go MH, save up a little more money and get an 150 watt HQI pendant from Lamp DR. That will probably be the best quality for your money, and a phoenix 14k bulb is included.

TheCoralReef731

The refugium on top will actually have a overflow built into it like this:

Refugium%209.gif

And also, I am going to be upgrading my tank from a 20g to a 25g. The 25 is drilled on the side, so I am deciding whether to use this as an overflow or as a conduit for an in-line pump to a refugium

TheCoralReef731

Despite all the things everyone has said, I just reaquascaped my tank. I didn't like the swimming space in the first one, so I eliminated the wall with cave, and created an arch. I am still deciding whether to keep the arch or take off the connectors to create 2 pillars. Pictures to follow soon.

TheCoralReef731

New Aquascaping:

DSCF0104.JPG

I just redid my filter system to incorporate LR filtration. The water goes in one chamber, passes through polyfilter, into a chamber with live rock and a heater, and out. The heater is surprisingly powerful for it's size (only 2-3 inches). Here's a picture:

DSCF0113.JPG

Top Down Picture to show Swimming Space:

DSCF0114.JPG

TheCoralReef731

You may notice the grey rocks. Those are actually fossilized shells of extinct animals. If you look very closely at them, there is actually gold in the rocks. My friend Joe gave them to me.

• 3 weeks later...
TheCoralReef731

The New Tank and the Plumbing

DSCF0014.JPG

DSCF0015.JPG

DSCF0017.JPG

On a Side Note, Here is My Freshwater Fishtank with a Halogen Light to Grow the Plants. Also a Betta, a goldfish, and a lemon tree.

DSCF0003.JPG

DSCF0005.JPG

DSCF0004.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
TheCoralReef731

Guess What!!!

I found some more life on my live rock.

1st is something that is translucent pink, and resembles a timy sun coral.

2nd is brown featherduster colonies. They ARE alive, because they have retracted when my new inhabitants (surprise) crawled over them.

So my new inhabitants are....

...in the next post. Hehe.

Archived