Cultivated Reef

what are they

clown fish rule

I have the same little white slugs on my glass at night and during the day, I was wondering what they were.. are they harmless?

The clear ones in the pics? Yes, harmless copepod-eating flatworms. These aren't the "bad" ones (that'd be the large brown one), as they don't explode in record numbers, nor are they at all toxic. They'll disappear gradually.

Again, they're harmless. They're a small, copepod-eating flatworm (very cool to watch them catch the little fellas) that reproduces at a MUCH slower rate than the plague brown/red ones. They tend to show up occasionally in our reefs only to disappear again. Not a problem, honestly. (Though I take them out when I see them and they're in an easy place to get 'em. But that's just me....I like to try to ensure that their numbers stay low.)

Caesar77: ALL flat worms are toxic when they die. ;)

most are harmless though. The only real problem they pose ( aside from the coral eating nudis and the single coral eating flat worms) at all is in HUGE numbers and smothering corals.

Not according to Ron "Mr. PhD" Schimek(sp)... Only the brown flatworms, and some others, are toxic. Not the clear ones. These don't reproduce in nearly the numbers that the browns/reds do, and soon disappear altogether. Occasionally I see one or two in my tank, at night.

You know more than a doctor with a couple of decades in the reef biz, I'm sure.

Ummm Caesar777? YOu obviously have never seen those comercials have you?

I was reffereing to a learning cmercial, AS IN I LEARNED SOMTHING.

They were always preceeded by a shooting star.

But thanks for the pot shot any ways!

Could it be thats why your making alot more umm....."friends" lately?

• 1 year later...

I have those two? what exactly are they and how do you get rid of them???

All my zoas seem to be dying and I really just want to get rid of them

TY

beyondtheblue

If they are just like the picture that was posted I wouldnt worry about them. I am sure they are not the culprit for the zoa demise. I had a buttload of them...they eventually go away..or at least mine did. You might want to take a closer look at your colonies and see what might be the prob.

The Propagator

NO they arent but they will spread like wild fire and soon you will have thousands of them.

Mark my words. ;)

I would get a yellow tail or Domino, or a fiji blue devile damsle.

Either one will eradicate them. Stick him in , dont feed him, and he will start chomping away at them.

NO they arent but they will spread like wild fire and soon you will have thousands of them.

Mark my words. ;)

I would get a yellow tail or Domino, or a fiji blue devile damsle.

Either one will eradicate them. Stick him in , dont feed him, and he will start chomping away at them.

them dominos can get kinda big tho.. this is just a 10 gallon, what other kind of fish do you have in your tank? might not want to add more unless you could return the damsel

Archived