Pod Your Reef

NR Solidarity.. but time to cool off

ccjung

Sometimes on these boards, because of the politics and the fear of being recognized as a "bad guy" we build up a lot of stress/tension.

We bite our tongues and keep quiet although in general, we want to tear into someone for something they say or do in a post.

With the recent developments with JBJ, and my subsequent responses, we seemed to have found a common enemy, and that moved us to respond fiercely.

JBJ is not the enemy.. They have done lots to spurn the growth of the hobby, and deserve some credit. It is however, unfortunate that relations between our companys have degraded so much, but things happen, you bounce back and move on.

I want to let JBJ realize that they are a welcome member of this community even if we dont see eye to eye at this point in time.

Although I appreciate the solidarity of the community, and appreciate tenfold what you guys have done to mobilize in support of me, bashing JBJ only makes the problem tougher for them to assess and correct what is going on. Theres thousands of 24g owners on edge right now as we speak, and thousands more that dont know what could potentially happen.

I know there is a petition to boycott JBJ going around, and its gained a lot of support in a very little span of time. The boycott is a great asset to the consumer, but so is silence. If you must participate in the boycott, oogie has a link in his signature. Quietly join that list and use that as your forum to vent your frustration.

I dont want NR to be known as the "HATE JBJ CLUB" because as of last week, we loved the cubes (some of us!!! JMT!!!!)

In closing, i appreciate the solidarity. I appreciate the emotions that are involved with their post and my subsequent response. I posted that to clarify some issues and make it known that my word doesnt waver in the winds of adversity or when faced with accusations.

I love and respect all of my NR members and I'm Damn Proud to be a member of NR.

Sincerely

Chris

On the other front,

I met with IKE from Current USA.

He authorized me to announce the eminent release of thier "Aquapod" 24g all in one system & Sunpod 150HQI MH fixture for thier Aquapod line.

It was quite exciting to see a company that puts so much Research and Development into thier product ask for input from a "little" guy like me.

When I asked him directly: "What do you think of modding and what would your relationship be with nanocustoms?"

He replied: "We're gonna help you!"

Stay Tuned for this and other great nano-reef related products from Current USA and other great companys.

To the FUTURE!!!

Chris

"when one door closes, another one opens.."

Thanks for the support.

Good to hear Chris. I still have been meaing to call you. I have been so busy these last few days. I really hope the future of Nano Cubes takes a huge leap with your help and the help and ideas of others on forums like this. I know my tank is one that people said it was all goig to DIE along time ago. And it is thriving every day, as loaded as it is.:)

Long Live the Nano Cube!!

And lets just say that Current and others are cooking up TONS of stuff for this fast growing segment of the Reef Market.

Chris

Current is a great brand. I use the sunpaq retrofit. Glad to hear they are building an all in one tank.

I still am very happy with my nanocube. I think the problems with cracks are sporadic and unfortunate. As Chris said, JBJ has done alot for the reefing community and brought it to many people who probably would not have gotten into it. Me being one of them. It was the jbj nanocube which was a perfect fit for my needs at the perfect time.

Great job to Chris at nanocustoms for keeping the community going. Because it's not about our problems with tanks, vendors, equipment. It's about the love of the reefs that we get to keep in our homes!!

Nick

No, but Ike did mention that their series of products were designed with "moddability" in mind, so i think a future of nanocustoms modding their fixtures/tanks is very much a possibility, if not inevitable.

FYI, I really, really, dig the vibe i get from them. Their sincerity in their products and the fact that they actually "design" their products instead of merely importing them from existing products overseas, shows that some companys do things the good old fashion way, with R&D & beta testing.

They also had the courtesy to give me some freebies to test out.

I will make a full report shortly.

Chris

I am glad Chris was able to be professional (as usual) about this unfortunate turn of events. I really like my Nano-Cube, but do have a strong loyalty to nanocustoms and will continue to upgrade with Chris as his company grows. I think someone posted that this could be a benefit to nanocustoms.com and I could not agree more. What a great opportunity to expand the line into other manufactures. Now there would not be just one tank for everyone and you could choose an aquarium that fits your style or goals. I can't wait to see "what's next"!

Chris,

I am truly sorry to hear about your situation with JBJ. I am glad, however, it's not taking you very long to get back on your feet. Good luck with the other project that will replace nanocube modding. I can't wait to see what you come up with. Don't hestitate to let me know if you need a part machined and/or designed.:)

Bob

Thanks Bob, it means a lot coming from you.

Also, dont hesistate to ask if you want to start marketing the millmod nano skimmers at nanocustoms/tuners.

I recommend more and more of my customers your way, lol.

Chris

Way to go Chris....roll with the punches and come up standing. I admire your approach to this whole situation. A good businessman won't get mired down in the politics of a failed business relationship, but do as you are doing and move on. There are bigger projects ahead of you and a forum of nano-reefers here waiting for your tanks. I think you've handled this affair better than JBJ.

So Chris, get back to your workroom with all the elves and get your prototype done FAST!! I'm a future nanocustoms customer with a cracked tank and replacment tank with glass defects and in limbo. Like Bugs Bunny said hanging onto the moon, "BUGS BUNNY TO EARTH---GET ME OUT OF HERE"!!!!! SH

I understand trying to cool the situation down, this forum was starting to look like a nuclear reactor without the carbon rods - it was heading toward a meltdown in a hurry.

I'm still POed :rant:, but I'll bite my tongue :P . . . for now.

But next time, we're ready . . .

braveheart.jpg

JBJ may ruin our carpet, they my burn down our Houses, but they'll never take . . . OUR FISHIES! :D

steelhealr:

Well put, I couldn't agree more.

sNIERBO:

:D

Chris:

Thank you for the recommendations. Marketing at Nanocustoms, hey?! I might just take you up on that. It would be a pleasure to be affiliated with a company like yours. Again all the best and good luck.

Bob

Rofl... at your sig SNIERBO...

Early in the morning yesterday, there was a "BOYCOTT JBJ" thread and it was gaining rapid support. People were "####ed" i think i saw someone say that they were gonna take their tank and destroy it.

I was deeply moved, but realized that people were forgetting what it was all about, the Hobby..

Look at what wonderful JBJ has done for us, I've been on the phone with SNIERBO at least 5 times, SH has become a nanoceleb, nanobob has become "famous" with his millmod skimmers, and I was able to see who my real friends were.

Thanks for the ongoing support and allowing everyone to see that good things come out of bad situations.

After my response (which in my opinion must have been similar to a MLK response.. ok maybe not) I realized that I could be the better man and forgive/forget.

At this point in time JBJ is a dog on his back, so hes ready to bite anyone within striking distance.

I sincerely hope JBJ does something to rectify this situation, because the reports of cracked 24s keep coming in.

Heres one from googling: http://wetwebfotos.com/talk/thread.jsp?for...&message=238716

so its obvious its happening.

Solidarity..

Chris

I've always loved CurrentUSAs products and cant wait to see the new cube.

Do you know if they are using thicker glass?

-Hank

mattgreene22

Hey Chris,

I too like how you've handled this whole mess. With the reports starting...I decided my 10g aga would suffice for a smaller tank.

However, if/when Current USA gets their product line going...that could be an interesting option...especialy with a standard MH.

I'm also not afraid to put in my request to beta-test it either. :P

Happy to. :)

Let me know if you or they need someone(s) down the road.

Good luck in the new partnerships...and steady as she goes.

-matt

prove it-

From what i was told, Current USA paid for and "spec'd" for the mold to make thicker glass.

Matt-

Thanks for the support. I'll keep you in mind when it comes time to launch teh "super cube" or whatever its called. However, since Current and others are coming to market, this may leave us more time to do it right and do the R&D required to make it a superior product.

Chris

Archived