Pod Your Reef

Nanocustoms Annoucement

ccjung

Nanocustoms ANNOUNCEMENT

With deep regret, it saddens me to announce that Nanocustoms will no longer be distributing JBJ products. With the recent developments with the 24g Nanocube and the increased incidence of tank crackings, I have taken a stand and made some statements that have been taken as lack of support for JBJ's line of aquariums. As a result, official support and authorization to become a reseller for JBJ has been terminated. It deeply saddens me about this development, but I always, always, do whats right, whether or not financial consequences are at stake.

I did so not in an effort to further promote my efforts with the "acrylic" and upcoming "super cube" (name still TBD), but out of interest in the safety and well being of my customers. It has been a pleasure to work with my representatives and colleagues at JBJ, but it is time to move on and change gears. I look forward the future with nanocustoms and hope to deliver some exciting products in the months to come.

All sales of "stock" JBJ nanocubes has been put on hold and current inventory has been allocated to the x.18/x.24/x.36/x.70 family of modded nanocubes. Once inventory is exhausted, we will no longer be building "complete" systems.

All existing JBJ products such as the ATO and TSS will be sold until inventories are exhausted. You can still count on nanocustoms/nanotuners for replacements and service and repair, as the components used in the electronics are by "Fulham".

What does this mean for nanocustoms customers?

- More DIY upgrade kits, Send in (and loaner) service if you want us to perform work, and a collection of new and exciting products from CurrentUSA, AquaMedic, Aquatechture (a new venture) and some exciting Nanocustoms Brand custom aquarium setups. I also look forward to the TruVu family of nano-reef tanks and many many exciting new products in the months to come.

As always,

Thanks for your support

Christopher C Jung,

CEO - Nanocustoms.com & Nanotuners.com

Its too bad JBJ cant handle the truth on their #### poor products. Im speaking from experience went through 2 ballasts and 3 , yes 3 tanks in 3 months. 1st tank cracked in the middle of the night while I was at work, I saved as much livestock as I could when I got home to water dripping out of my front door. I called up JBJ first thing sent them the pics and had to convince them it wasnt my fault. Finally they agreed and I drover over 100 miles to pick up a replacement tank. I got the 2nd tank home, ***n thing had a leak around the whole bottom of the tank. By that time JBJ was closed and time was running against my livestock. The next moring all livestock was dead but I went down anyways to get the 3rd tank. For this trip I got an appology and a "Free" Bag of Carbon for my troubles. Hmm Over 400 miles, the loss of about $400 in livestock and $300 carpet cleaning bill, sure that carbon really evened things out.

I would gladly add my name to any class action lawsuit against them, I have receipts and pics to back up my claims and i would love to take that "Free" bag of carbon and shove it up their @$$. How dare they put my house and family in danger with a defective product that they full willingly know is defective and have not made any attempts to recall or even send out a warning notice to the people that have purchased them. They have our addresses, we gave it to them when we had signed up for our warrenty.

And how dare they drop nanocustoms, a company that has been actually sticking up for them for the most part. I really hope JBJ with all of this bad press goes out of business now.

Great idea, #### poor implementation and lack luster customer service. Heh almost sounds like a Microsoft product.

Once again, I am disappointed by JBJ.

First - an inferior product that damaged my house.

Second - I thought they were stepping up to the plate with their "Official Statement" and were going to take an active role in this forum and hobby. But they have been non-existent since thier initial statement.

Third - despite blaming problems with their product on internet orders, and specifically shipping via UPS or FedEx, they shipped my replacement Nano Cube via UPS, only to have it arrive SMASHED 7 days later.

Finally - it looks like they are trying to spread blame wherever they can, without looking at their product's weaknesses. To cut off nanocustoms - a company that has helped promote their product - is unbelievable.

What's next - are they going to blame the problems on steelhealr for his "Startup" Thread?

AMAZING business decision JBJ! With business decisions like these, I look forward to one day reading about your impending bankruptcy!

I think I would notify Consumer Safety about the nano cubes, as they are usually pretty good at getting defective items recalled, and broken glas etc and leaks with electricty involved should all fit their agenda quite fine....I bet if enough people contact and complain to Consumer Safety they would take action of some sort and look into it.

wow, I guess JBJ has made it their goal to #### off and alienate EVERYONE on this forum. I've never even owned a nanocube or bought anything from Chris, but this ticks me off!! Chris is clearly a great vendor and they've cut him off.

Just another nail in the coffin for JBJ. Hey Chris, I hope you'll add Via Aqua to the list of companies you plan to carry and mod soon!

has anyone filed an official complaint. maybe if there is enough of an issue, these products should be recalled or even a civil suit against the company for damages.

Cellenzweig

JBJ is a joke. Their response to this issue is truly pathetic. You're better off without them Chris. All the best with your new business ventures!

I wonder if JBJ will chime in on this thread.

But most likely like cowards, they will prolly run away from this board.

Thanks everyone for the support.

I think if you ask JBJ officially, I believe their statement will be that continuing to allow me to operate as an authorized vendor is tantamount to an endorsement to "mod" the tanks and therefore place additional risk to the end user. Although I feel this is plausible, and an acceptable business practice, I have been working with them for over 9 months and they have known about my business model/plan and have even given consent. Its always been known that I will "pick" up the warranty on all "upstream components" I mod, but with the tanks cracking, they want to cover any loose ends.

The most ironic part is if you look further into the research and into the cracked units that I have directly sold, a majority of the "cracks" have happened to stock, unmodified units.

Its a display of business politics at its best. Although I can accept that vendor loyalty is a big issue in this business, and I may be "blacklisted" (CurrentUSA/Aquamedic/ViaAqua seems happy to meet with me). This is my hobby. I cant stand idly by as my fellow hobbyists are enduring increased risk.

No matter the root cause of the latest development. Something must be done on an active basis. I am not litigious, and have no claim if there is some sort of legal/civil action against JBJ and nor do I wish it happens. I merely want to see the problem fixed, both at the cause, and for existing customers.

Ultimately its YOU, the end consumers who are entitled to action. Thankfully I only keep the 12g and 6g at my apartment.

Thanks for your ongoing support, but this thread was not intended to be a "bash JBJ" thread. It was merely put out there to report on the change in direction of nanocustoms, and the reasons why.

I've been sitting on this information since thursday, July 7th, so i have had almost a week to "digest" what has happened.

Once again, I appreciate the support I have gotten from the community, and hope it is in response to my business practices. (if you have called me, you probably have heard me try my best to not sell you what you DONT need.)

I hope its this level of sincerity that has spawned this type of loyalty from customers I know and don't know.

To the future!!!

As always,

Thanks for your support

Chris

Sorry to hear about the troubles Chris, but it's really not a surprise. Even if you had not taken any sort of stand on quality issues the fact that they were officially cutting off warranty coverage on modified cubes, and you being in the business of modifying cubes was a bit forewarning.

Anyway, I think you've made a good impression with a lot of people on this board and should you have a new product for nano reefers that accommodates the features many of us are looking for better than the jbj products, I'm sure you will find a healthy customer base. ...I might be one of them. (just make sure it incorporates a protein skimmer)

Not exactly thrilled with the tank I currently have, but very glad I did not by a cube from jbj.

Good Luck!

Chris:

I am sorry to hear that JBJ is treating you like they are. It seems to me that instead of being proactive (for example, like being active on this forum about their product) they made two posts and decided to duck and run. Then, as the heat is turned up, they turn to cutting you off.

Of course, coming down on you will NOT change the crack rate (I wonder if they even thought about that?). Now they have managed to cut ties with a huge supporter (YOU), and alienate a lot of people (US). Of course, people are not quiet, and as we travel about our respective cities, talking to the LFS, clubs, and others, this information will naturally spread. JBJ may feel that we here are a small minority, but bad news spreads very fast indeed. And word of a viable, stable, effective, and SAFE replacement will spread along with it.

I would like you to know that as I go deeper into this hobby I will turn to YOU and NOT JBJ.

You have proven, time and again, that you are supporting the hobby, customers, and the livestock. You've gone above and beyond the call, even helping people who are not your own customer. Your advice and efforts have always been sound and in the best interest of the aquarium (which is, after all, where it belongs). I have always been more than impressed by this--and that translates into loyalty.

It absolutely BOGGLES MY MIND that JBJ would do this to you. To me, this is the mark of a company running very afraid.

I look forward to the next Special Interest Forum being set up here on Nano Reef: Super Cube by Nanocustoms. You can be assured of my participation there.

david

I think it could even be the beginning of the end of the NanoCube. I know that PetSolutions has supposedly even cut off sales of NanoCubes until the problems with cracking are fixed (after they sell of their current inventory). I would guess that this means that the Jack's Aquariums around here will stop selling them too once their inventories are gone, since PetSolutions is owned by Jack's Aquarium and Pets as far as I know. Interestingly enough, July was the first month that Jack's hasn't had at least 1 of the NanoCubes in there monthly sales flier as long as I can remember.

~Brian

I dont think so. We all bought these cubes for various reasons, compactness, integrated look, design, moddability.

Stoney, I have to say that your cube is "PIMP". The mods you have done to it are amazing.

I personally still love my cubes and think that most of us do. Some of us just arent too happy with the reliability of them.

Chris

I think regardless of who the "manufacturer" was, we would have still bought them.

Would have, but if things don't get fixed, I think places will stop carrying them. I think all of the LFS are starting to get tired of all the cracked cubes returning. Sales are definately going to drop if they don't fix things, as more and more places decide to stop carrying the cubes, and I wonder how much longer they will sustain the line if the sales drop significantly. Then again, many LFS don't care about the cracks and will continue to market and sell the cubes to unknowing customers as easy sales. We'll see. I'm not saying I don't like my cube...I'm just saying that their bad business practices are starting to catch up to them.

~Brian

shao-lin nano

To Chris and everyone else who have invested so much time/interest/money into the cubes:

This could be a blessing in disguise. JBJ had provided us with a not so sound product and unsatisfactory customer support. Chris and nanocustoms/tuners on the other hand has provided unparalleled customer support and looks like they will be creating a superior product to match their service. We could just see JBJ's NanoCube as a stepping stone to greater things to come...we're more like pioneers and some of us have suffered casualties but think of all the cool and innovative products that will come about because of it. Maybe it's time to stop dwelling on JBJ's mistakes and our misfortunes and move forward to greater, better nano sized aquariums. I'm not saying that JBJ should not be held accountable for the mistakes they've made but looking at the turn of events I'm pretty damn excited about what's to come...in the end I'm sure that JBJ will be hurt the most if they don't do something more to rectify the problems they're facing.

wow

This is surprising, although I think i saw it coming. Good luck in your future ventures Chris. Anything for an oceanic 30?

-Hank

My thoughts exactly, Shao-Lin!!! I feel this will bring better things to come in the world of Nano-reefing. Chris, thanks for the service you have provided for everyone, I'm sure with your new endeavors, you'll have many followers.

tsk tsk tsk

oh well. better for jbj to handle the mess they have with the cracked cubes and not have another business to blame.

I have two cubes

one stock 12 of my girlfriends (about 8 months)

and one modified 6 gallon chris hood (about 3 months or so)

neither have cracked. both were bought from a store and not ordered through the net.

Well I agree with JBJ having nanocustoms from refraining on selling any more of their products modified. It's just easier for them to seperate where the actual problem is.

If they see more claims on stock ones, they'll be able to easier analyze the problems with these versions, so they can start making the improvements to better tanks in the future from JBJ. I liked reading about this from steve who posted from JBJ, and I quote:

"Many of the advanced hobbyists on this forum have stated they would like to see better features and this is what we are currently working on:

1.Nano Protein Skimmer / venturi

2. Overflow skimmer - black color to match the existing filter compartments.

3. New pump - Low heat production on the lines of a maxi-jet. We are currently in the middle of applying for UL Certification.

4. Nano Chiller - The first Nano Arctica Chiller that contains a compressor that will be geared at an economic pricepoint."

That's hella cool!! I'm glad they have their eyes open, and ears clean to ideas leading to great innovation. Good luck JBJ!

Chris has been working to give us the chiller, overflow, and other great additions to otherwise stock nanocubes far before JBJ even started thinking about it (pure speculation, but seems very accurate). I really appreciate what you do Chris and I can't wait to see what you will unveil next!

Archived