Innovative Marine Aquariums

Home Depot Ballasts

Foogoo

Here's some info that I will pass on concerning ballasts and PC lights. I have not tried this yet. Proceed at your own risk. Until I have seen it work, I can't guarantee anything. OK, now that the disclaimer is done :), here's the goods. I read this on reefs.org (I think) about inexpensive ballast options for PC's. Any ballast labeled "instant start", magnetic or electronic, will run PC bulbs. Just make sure you match the wattage...ie...don't overload it. An instant start ballast rated for two of the 32w energy saver 48" bulbs should run 2 28w PC's just fine. Home Depot carries these ballasts. They are also available from Advance. I'm gonna buy one and wire it up to a PC tube and see how it does when I have the extra time. I'll let you know how it turns out. Anyway, it would be an inexpensive alternative. For those who aren't so adventurous, http://www.happyreefing.com/ sells the Workhorse 5 rated @128 watts for $39.95 and the Workhorse 7 rated @ 220 watts for $49.95.

Logan J

If you want to save money than get a magnetic ballast. it produces much more heat. you could also get some 13 watt 6500k bulbs from walmart for 4 dollars each.

• 2 weeks later...

BCOrchidGuy

Check out WalMart for a 'Lights of America' shoplight. 65w PC 6500k bulb in a case about 6" x 10" for $25 US. I bought one to use over my 10gal nano when I set it up. Haven't used it yet but am expecting it will be very nice if I can also add a BookWorm with an actinic bulb.

Dave

GO TO WALMART...GET THE blue desklamp FROM THE furniture department. its over where the lavalamps are. its a baby blue plastic folding desk lapm..10 bucks, its got a 13w gx23 socket and ballast in it. ive got 3 over my 5.5 gallon. check out www.fifthaeon.com/bonsaireef to see spec. dont waste your money on the HD fixtures.

Archived