ReefCleaners.org

Home Depot Ballasts

Foogoo

ive got a small 5 gallon reef tank which is doing quite well. I'm about to transfer everything over from the hex tank its in now to a regular 5.5 gallon all glass tank simply because the hex is such a pain to get in to. anyways...being a chick, and not very good with electrical/building stuff, i have no clue what a workhorse ballast is or what it looks like. I'm familiar with the small 13 watt retrofit kits which is what i have now, but i'd like to use a stronger wattage in the new tank. If i walk into home depot and ask for a workhorse ballast are they going to be able to help me?

thanks

Being a chick they'd prolly love to help you ;) I don't think you will have any luck though finding the Workhorse ballasts though. I have never seen them in HD or any of the big home improvement chain stores for that matter. They are great little ballasts and they are made by a company called Fulham. You can do a Google search or the like and should be able to come up with some places online that sell them. I have seen them on Ebay as well. Basically they are little rectangular boxes with a whole bunch a wires coming out either end... Fulham's website gives you wiring diagrams for all their ballasts as well as recommendations for which "horse" to use depending on what bulbs ya want to fire.

Originally posted by Foogoo

I remember someone talking about the ones that can run circular tubes can run pc.....

I posted that a ice cap 660 can power PC, but I doubt all can. HD has some nice magnetic ballasts for PC that are cheap. you don't HAVE to get expensive stuff.

I've got a local source for workhorse ballasts, I was wondering if they are any good... glad to hear they are, I may pick up a couple

I can get the workhorse 7 which runs 2 55w CPs for $59

work horse 7 is much more powerfull thanb you need. it can run 2 110 watt bulbs. or 4 32 watt bulbs. al with separate switches.

also a work horse 7 should cost under 45 dollars.

wire07.gif

Yeah but I'm in Canada $45 US is about $75 Canadian, I figure the Workhorse should meet all my power needs for a nano. Bad thing is, I would have to do all the work, and buy the CP tubes. Depending on what I pay for tubes my total cost won't be much less than buying two retrofit kits from the LFS @ $99 each that includes a reflector and a 50/50 bulb. CP tubes are about $40+ each....depending on where I buy them I could spend up to $60. I figure one 50/50 55watt tube should be good for the 7 gallon bow I am considering.

How exactly are you going to fit a 55 watt over a 7 gallon tank? I would love to know because I have a 10 gallon tank and I can't fit a 55 over it. If you are looking I have a 7 gallon tank with a built in CF light and filter. It's glass bow front. Check the classified section.

if you guys have walmart in canada, check my post in the DIY section. I found really cheap, easy-to-mod pc lights at walmart for 10 bucks a pop, includes a bulb!

Walmart? yep we got em, someone told me we have McDonalds too but I'm not convinced.

Yes Walmart has the small compacts however they don't carry the 6500k or 6700k tubes.

tgrupert, you don't think a 55 will fit on a 7 gallon bow?... dang I haven't even looked at it to see. I appreciate the idea that you have yours for sale but shipping it would cost an arm and a leg, I am waiting for a VHO ballast from NYC and shipping is $24 on that.....sheesh... and that is not via courier.

LOL... noticed that a while ago but being such a fine upstanding citizen I didn't want to comment... but.. now that you have... yeah what is it???? lol.. don't say it out loud though.

Walmarts plannin on takin over the world guys, first a peaceful takeover with all the stores....then they make use of the gun department!!! Defend yourselves while you still can!!! :P

damn cmo, i wish i knew you had such a passion for crabs. I just pulled 3 out of my big tank. the little bastards killed of two of my cleaner shrimp and a starfish. I pulled out all the rockwork and hunted them down, then dropped them off at the LFS. I'll let you know if i find anymore....I'm always adding new rock.

My walmart sells guns. My ex-girlfriend was being stalked so we went to get some pepper spray. we looked all over and no one knew where it was. we finaly found the manager and we asked if he knew where it was. he looked at us like we were freaks and said that he didn't carry it. but her stalker would be able to get a gun as long as he didn't buy ammo with out leaving first.

it's a clown type ballon. my only crab is a filter feeder :) but I do have a thing for snails.

As for the lights (the topic of the thread) a 55 watt bulb is 22 inches. you should use 28-36 watt bulbs. in a 7 gallon tank I would recomend 1 for most corals or two for just about everything. a workhorse 2 will power up to 35 watts (maybe on 36 too). a work horse 4 will power up to 70 watts total. a work horse 5 will power 4 36 watt bulbs. It's really THE best option for almost all DIY CF nano jobs.

I went to the LFS today and looked at them and of course you are right, the 55 is mucho grande compared to the 7 Bow.... oh well still thinking of the tank just smaller light... mind you, do I need another tank?

You could get an ALIFE 7 with built in light and filter. I happen to be selling one in the classified section. If you are a DIYer than you shouldn't have trouble fitting a 28-36 watt compact fluorescent in.

hey tgrupert-

just setup an alife 7. its 12.5" wide. i suppose some brand of bulb may fit diagonally or something but most 28W are over 12.5" but a csl sealight would work awesome in that tank. maybe the one with the additional 9W actinic for dawn/dusk?

Home depot sells somthing almost identical to sea lights. they are made by Lights of America so they should be 6500K, but on their site they say 2800k. They also make a 36 watt quad, but I don't know the dimentions. if you want to make your lighting better whyt not just add another bulb. just take out the ballast and use it as a remote ballast

The Home Depots in Canada don't carry the same stuff as the US stores and it is a pain in the butt. They don't even carry daylight fluorescent tubes anymore, only warm or cool. Revy on the other hand carries 6500k fluorescents for $4.99 which was great for my plant tank.

Archived