Top Shelf Aquatics

24g nano - day by day log

HkySk8r187

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yep, I would say it won't be very long until you are ready to add your cleanup crew. biggest thing now is to keep at that PH. mine went from 7.8-8.2-3 with only about 3 spoonfulls...... or three days worth. pretty much stayed there after that. I used distilled water though. I do add a spoonfull every once in a while when I do a water change though.

New test reading from tonight:

ammonia 0.2

nitrite 0.15

nitrate 1.25

ph 7.9

temp 82.6f

SG 1.024

Looks like ammonia going back up? Is that weird?

Also I still haven't seen a single form of life from my rock (pods, worms, etc). Only lots of little tiny featherdusters. Is it normal not to see pods durring this phase? Seems that everyone else sees thousands of em durring their cycle. I hope I have some and they haven't all died somehow.

don't worry about not seeing pods yet, I didn't see any for at least a month. Even then it wasn't until I added some chaeto that I had significant amount of them. as far as your slight increase in ammonia, has anything died off in your tank? you may just be getting a little secondary die off. Like that sponge you mentioned.

Oh, and featherdusters are worms......

Originally posted by revkev6

Oh, and featherdusters are worms......

Right, I know that. Should have clarified what I meant by worms though. Seems that other people see bristle worms and other types of sand worms come from their rocks. Anyhow, I wont worry about not seeing pods yet then. Chaeto is the green macroalgea that uses nitrate right? You have to have a sump to have it? Also how does having Chaeto help with pods?

I'm going to test my water again tonight and see where it stands. I haven't noticed any die off really, everything looks the same as it did a week ago. Should I maybe just rip the sponges off with some tweezers or something to speed up their dieoff since they probably wont live anyways?

as far as bristle worms, you will see some eventually. they are pretty much inevitable. chaeto is a good form of macro algae to keep in a small aquarium as it grow quickly, doesn't require alot of light and like all types of macro, requires nutrients in the water to grow. the algae will actually use the nutrients before they have a chance to become waste. IN my tank I have the middle back chamber setup as a fuge. when you put your algae back here it creates a nice safe haven for your pods to grow in. that way nothing will eat them and they will have a place to breed. (this is why they call it a refugium)there are a couple of things that I did to stop the chaeto from going all over your tank though. take some of the filter material that came with your cube and cut it up so that it fits between the 2nd and 3rd chambers. right at the top of the plastic barrier between them. in my tank water has a tendancy to overflow here, letting the chaeto flow into the third chamber and be pumped into my display area. make sure if you do keep any filters in that you wash them once a week religiously.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, so I think my cycle is done, but I'm going to give it another week or so to make sure. I was wondering, how fast can I start adding corals? Can I keep adding them or do you have to wait a while between each one? Also would it be better to put my fish in there or do some corals first? I have about 8 books now about different species of fishes and corals so I've been researching about some of the easier fish/corals for smaller tanks. Anyhow, any help is appriciated.

Originally posted by HkySk8r187

Ok, so I think my cycle is done, but I'm going to give it another week or so to make sure. I was wondering, how fast can I start adding corals? Can I keep adding them or do you have to wait a while between each one? Also would it be better to put my fish in there or do some corals first? I have about 8 books now about different species of fishes and corals so I've been researching about some of the easier fish/corals for smaller tanks. Anyhow, any help is appriciated.

I wouldnt go crazy with the corals just yet! You should be able to add some hardy corals like shrooms and some zoos. But dont start adding dozens and dozens of corals or you'll go though another mini cycle and things will surely die off. I would add a cleanup crew before anything. They'll take care of the brown algae. After the clean up crew, i would add a very hardy fish and see how he does, if he lives, throw some corals in.. GL

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I recently added a clean up crew. 6 red leg hermits, 6 cerith snails, and 6 astraea snails. They have been in there for a good 2 weeks and have done a good job cleaning up. Everything seems to be doing well, all water parameters are looking good. My Alk was a little high but since putting in the clean up crew it has dropped to normal levels and stable for the 2 weeks.

Today I went to my LFS and got a fire shrimp, torch coral, and muchroom. They are pretty small frags so I'm hoping I'm not adding too much today.

I drip acclimated both corals and the shrip for about 2.5 hours and then finally put them into the tank. I think I may move the torch coral closer to the bottom of the tank though, what do you guys thing?

Anyhow, any input is appriciated. Here are some pics of my additions today. (Oh yeah I also redid the aquascape a couple weeks before getting the clean up crew. Man I haven't posted in a while :)

shao-lin nano

I like the aquascaping. Looks like a fish will have lots of fun swimming around in that setup.

Looks like all the brown alge has subsided. I had the same problem, it was bad and covering all the coraline and smothering them. Your tank should start coloring up with coraline even more.

I'm looking to add a fish sometime soon...my tanks been up for almost 2 months. What kind of fish did you have in mind?

Well I really want to get a yellow watchman goby, so unless anyone can give me a good reason not to I think I'll pick one up in a week or so assuming I think the tank can handle it. I also like clownfish so maybe eventually I'll get one of them too.

Everything seems to be doing good. The torch has opened up a bit more durring the day, and the muchrooms open up pretty big while the lights are on now. One of the muchrooms actually came off the rock it was on and floated over to the other side of the tank and was resting on the sand. It was face up so I just left it. I hear this is normal when they get crowded?

I noticed I was starting to get bubble algea so I went to the LFS and got a emerald crab. So far he hasn't touched the stuff but I'll give it time. I've read that they are good bubble algea eaters.

While I was at the LFS I picked up a small false percula clownfish and a pretty decent size hammar coral.

The clown is acting a little weird, maybe he's stressed out about the new tank so I'm going to wait and see what he looks like tomorrow. He defenatly has lots of energy but he's not moving around much and he's breathing a little hard. All water params are good so I'll just check on him tomorrow. The hammer coral looks good in the tank but didn't open up much today. Like the torch, it may take a few days to fully extend out.

I'll post some pics sometime this weekend. My girlfriend has my digital camera right now in the bahammas.

shao-lin nano
My girlfriend has my digital camera right now in the bahammas.

Yup, we're haven a great time here :P...j/k

I think a yellow watchman goby is on the top of my list as well.

Ok well I woke up and went to check on the clown. Can't find him anywhere. It's only a 24g tank how hard can it be heh. He's not in the back chambers and I looked evreywhere I could in the rockwork. I guess I'll have to pull a few of the rocks out and see if he's back there somewhere. Where could he have gone? There is no way he could have been eaten is there? I mean wouldn't there still be some remains? He seems to have just vanished. I hope he's ok but I have a feeling he died :(

I'm going to look for him right now.

Ok well I removed a couple rocks so I could see the entire tank and I found him dead on the bottom getting eatten by a hermit.

Ammonia 0

Nitrite 0

Nitrate 0

PH 7.8 (dropped from 8.2 after water change)

Alkalinity 10 dKH

Calcium 450

Phosphate 0

Temp 78.2

Specific Gravity 1.024

The only thing that changed is the PH. It was 8.2 when I went to the LFS. Soon as I got home I changed 5 gallons of water while the fish was in the bag. After the water change I started acclimating him to my water for 2 hours, then dropped him in. He imediatly started breathing hard and then eventually died.

Does anyone know why he may have died so soon? Could the ph fluxuation kill him? He also liked to hang out near the top of the tank, maybe there isn' enough oxygen in my water?

The mushrooms and torch coral have been opening up a lot more now, I think they are not stressed from the move to the tank and are now fully opening. One of my mushrooms broke off the other day and drifed to another part of the tank where it's trying to attach to the sand. This is normal right?

Not sure if I mentioned it already, but I purchased a hammer coral, and an emerald crab on Saturday. So far the hammer has opened up niceley and seems to be doing well, and the emerald has been peaceful towards the coral but hasn't touched the bubble algea yet. If he doesn't get to it soon I'm going to place him on top of it and make him eat it lol.

And yes, as you can see in the picture, I have a colt coral as well now. When I was at the LFS I saw the colt and thought it was a good addition, so I got it plus a sun coral. The sun coral is pretty small and was cheap so I picked it up and we'll see how it does. I guess I'll be having to target feed the sun coral misid shrimp right?

Archived