Innovative Marine Aquariums

24g nano - day by day log

HkySk8r187

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow your tank looks so much more established than mine lol. You have tons of corals and I only have 6 now haha. Was this nano you started your first tank or have you had experience before? I'm trying to go slow...so I'm not sure if I'm going too slow, or too fast, or just right. I would go faster but I dont want to rush anything. No idea if I'm being TOO careful though.

This is my second tank but there is no such thing as going too slow. I think I may have rushed it a bit but have since cut back on all the impulsive buying by staying busy with helping others with mods.

I had my tank for about 5 months before it even saw saltwater. I wanted to make sure that all my mods and equipment were setup properly before I started and it's paid off...so continue to go slow and carefully.

Philtur, I've come to believe that going all natural is better than using chemicals. No experience with it but just from looking at others experiences it seems that the best tanks out there are chemical free.

Bacter Vital is all natural. According to the comany, it contains beneficial symbiotic microbes in a catalytic nutrient stabilizing solution. I'm not familiar with TLC or what it does, just wondering if anyone else has any familiarity with the products.

From their website, http://www.marcweissco.com/marinereefprodu...bacter%20vital:

All natural biological catalysts with over 600 species of microorganisms. Makes water, filter media, and substrate receptive to colonization.

Not exclusively Nitrobacter and Nitrosomonas dependent; also contains many other beneficial organisms missing from other products. Utilizes a multifaceted approach to nitrification/denitrification.

Properly cycles aquariums by synchronizing the sulfur, phosphorous, and carbon cycles WITH the nitrogen cycle as per modern scientific findings.

WTG...coming along...looks like some algae buildup on the sides where the rocks approach the wall. This might opacify with coralline at some point if you can't get a credit card in there. Good job..coming along nicely. SH

Got a clownfish today, I acclimated him much faster and he seems to be doing just fine. He accepted the food I gave him after putting him in. The firefish who I never see, is actually swimming around with him in the front of the tank! It's amazing but there has been a change of personality for the firefish now that I put in the clown.

Philtur...I don't want to hijack HkySk8r's thread, but, it's working excellently now and I'm seeing a dramatic reduction in nitrates. It's an Egglite.

As per waterfaller1...isn't the phrase a 'dither' fish? SH

Couple more additions to the tank.

Zoanthids, and a devils hand leather.

Is it ok that my snail has been hanging out on the new devils hand? He kind of slimed it up, and he has been in the same place on the coral for several hours.

Also I had another question that hopeflully someone can answer.

My hammer coral has gotten bigger and seems as though it's extending much further and doing very well, however it's color is different than other hammer corals I see at the LFSs.

Here is a picture showing the LFS coloring, and the coloring of my hammer. Is my coloration wrong or is it a different type of hammer that I have?

Originally posted by HkySk8r187

Also I had another question that hopeflully someone can answer.

My hammer coral has gotten bigger and seems as though it's extending much further and doing very well, however it's color is different than other hammer corals I see at the LFSs.

Here is a picture showing the LFS coloring, and the coloring of my hammer. Is my coloration wrong or is it a different type of hammer that I have?

what kind of lighting is the coral under @ the LFS?

I've seen it under various lighting, some including similar lighting to what I have, others under metal halides. Also I'm not sure if mine is branching hammer or not. Maybe they look a little different, I dont know.

Archived