Top Shelf Aquatics

Dangerous hermit crab ID please!

cirionrc

I tried to find the species of this hermit crab and I could not find it. Well it took over a big conc shell and growing really fast, especially its left claw is huge. He is so stong, he breaks chucks of live rock and wipes it clean of algae, which he is making my live rock into crushed coral substrate. My eel gets in his shell looking for food. The hermit tries to grab him, and also other fish when they swim by. I am afraid he will get a hold of one of them one of these times. Did not know hermits did this. Take a look at the pic.

Dardandus Megistos = REEF CHAOS, yet safe fer most.

common to get to 4 Inches in a reef tank, 8-12 in wild, has a cathotic taste at times.

FWIW

I LOVE MY "DIESEL" ! he is the best demolition machine/ Cleanup/ destroyer /Scavenger in a few of my tanks. look at an old post of mine as to how big they get.... some thing to the effect off " Sadd Sadd Story Part 1 (or 2)

Dont be such a dope and get somthing before researching its habits.... I SWEAR.... Im dedicating a chapter in my book to this thread.X)

EDIT: I want attacking you, merely saying DONT be a DOPE.... in general.... when it comes to reefing husbandry.

Relax, dude, Dave does that to just about everybody. It builds character. Did you notice how he was the one who gave you the information you were looking for? No, your pride was too hurt, he called you bad names.

I guess this site is for strictly professionals huh...Don't be stupid when you think your smart...Don't try to be cool when your a dumba** dork! Oh yeah and stop quoting fish books...!

Dave HAS properly IDed this Hermit for you. This was the information I believe you were seeking, if I am not mistaken. At least that is what the title implies.

Now that you know what it is, you can look up more information if you so desire, such as the fact that they are very aggressive predators. In my opinion that is more help that anyone else has provided. If asking a question and getting the answer is of no "help", I don't believe that this forum will provide you with any "help".

While Dave is quite rude and lacks tact, he has not only provided you with correct information, but has made a very true point, even if it was not fed to you with a spoon full of sugar.

Perhaps you might want to purchase some books of your own. This way others wouldn't have to "quote" them to you. You could just read them and find out about reef aquarium related things on your own.

And when you are insulting the intelligence of others, it is always wise to use the correct grammar, such as the correct form of "your" (in this case, every "your" you typed should have actually been "you're"). The irony is so thick that it may choke others attempting the read this post.

Ok, Dave knows what he is talking about, but frankly I don't want his advice cause he is a prick. How many times do i and others have to go through this sh**! Ok Dave I am a math major so:

Using the divergence theorem, what is the flux of through S if F=3Ii + Izj+z squared x k and S is the surface of the region bounded by the paraboloid z=4-I squared -y squared and the xy-plane ?

This is an easy one. You don't get this then your a fuc*ing moron. I'll have to write a chapter in my book about this thread on how dave is an idiot cause he cannot figure something out that he knows nothing about.

See it is the same thing, I know alittle about marine life, I ask a question, I get called a fcu*king dope.

That is an example of Dave ESPI

Especially idiotic

Just because my first inhabitant of my tank was a hermit crab I am a "fuc*ing dope" for not researching it. That it could be a danger for future fish. And yes I have asked a lot of ?'s. Who would tell me a hermit crab would be a danger without me stating its behavior.

Originally posted by cirionrc

Ok, Dave knows what he is talking about, but frankly I don't want his advice cause he is a prick. Ok Dave I am a math major so: INSERT STUPID POINT HERE.

This is an easy one. You don't get this then your a fuc*ing moron.  

LAST I CHECKED THIS ISNT A MATH FORUM.

See it is the same thing, I know alittle about marine life, I ask a question, I get called a fcu*king dope.

CRABS HAVE THICK CARAPACES FOR PROTECTION... THEIR EGOS' DONT BRUISE AS EASILY AS YOURS.

That is an example of Dave ESPI  

Especially idiotic

Just because my first inhabitant of my tank was a hermit crab I am a "fuc*ing dope" for not researching it. That it could be a danger for future fish.   Who would tell me a hermit crab would be a danger without me stating its behavior.  

ANY GOOD BOOK  

(The Manual O Marine Invertebrates by Tetra press, Ron Shimmeks book, The Marine Aquarium by Tetra press.... )

LINKS,(www.Fishlinkcentral.com  

the SEARCH images button on www.Google.com)

OR AN LFS OR KNOWLEDGEABLE REEFER

As per your Private message, I wont offer advice anymore...

now Ill just be flat out brutal.

YALL......... not as in YOU alone. Should have triggered less of a response as I wasnt attacking you, but making a general statement. You had your chance to be cool.

Im SORRY I can't tolerate ignorance. I didnt Know is NOT an excuse. Im going to Call the ASPCA on you. Pet Precint will be visiting..... they might bring you up on charges for Animal Cruelty :rolleyes:

Perhaps I need to got to Reef Tolerance Camp.

Oh, and I have 3 of those crabs in 3 different color morphs, and made mention of them in like nearly 15 + post.

I speek from Experience, not needing to be a page turner. and IF SOME ONE DID BOTHER TO HELP BY LOOKING IN A BOOK FOR YOU ... YOU SHOULD BE FLATTERED THAT SOMEONE CARED ENOUGH TO DO SO.

Advice: Get a longer handle.. they take longer to fly off.

Originally posted by Chromis

Who farted?  

:x

i dunno, but dave sure has womanly fingers for a guy who has his hands in tanks all day. :x

I can assure you espi is not a prick. My grandmother met dave espi and has nothing but nice thing to say about him. I had to tell her that some one called "that nice young man" a prick. her reponce was "But he's such a kind person. What a ######ty world we live in. I mean it's filled with ass holes."

Cirionrc, my grandma called you an ass hole. You just got called out by 80 year old woman.

I have used a comemeritive stamp that is fitting for the ocation.

Ok Dave I am a math major so:

Using the divergence theorem, what is the flux of  through S if  F=3Ii + Izj+z squared x k and S is the surface of the region bounded by the paraboloid z=4-I squared -y squared and the xy-plane ?  

I have nothing against you man, but my grandma's official quote is "woop dee doo."

adinsxq made me laugh...

i dunno, but dave sure has womanly fingers for a guy who has his hands in tanks all day. :x

HAHAH Its cause they are "worked to the bone"...

Or as George Castanza from Seinfeld would say....

SHRINKAGE ! ITS SHRINKAGE !

TyGroupert..... LMAO nice stamp.

Heh, that's a nice trick. Flame Dave, get Dave to respond to that flame, then remove the message in which you flamed him.

I'm gonna have to try that sometime, just for funsies. Watch your back, Dave! Muahahahaha! :D

I have done research, I bought the conscious marine aquarist by Robert Fenner, Exotic reef fish by Warren Burgess Ninth edition, and Saltwater fishes for Dummies. None of them say anything about hermit crabs. I even looked on the internet. I am sure it is somewhere in there but the closest I found was just a pic and no description. All the excess questions that I cannot find I post on here and hope to get a reply for a quick answer, not a reply with a rude answer. As for the math ? that was an example of your reply. I am fairly new at upkeeping a saltwater aquarium and looking for answers that I do not know. And yes, dedicate a lot of time and money on my tank and the water quality is always near perfect and my fish are very healthy, so me being cruel to animals is not even questionable. As for the hermit crab, Stevie C has accepted to adopt this fella.

He's right ya know, not much info on hermits out there, compared to other stuff. Anyways, hard to ID crabs when they are little :) a lot look the same.

Cirion, i'm glad the crab is goin to a happy home, they are animals too, and should be treated with the same respect as other animals.

As for the hermit crab, Stevie C has accepted to adopt this fella.

I hope you don't mean me, because I didn't. I already have a mean old crab in my tank that I'm putting in the cornfield as soon as I catch him. (Don't worry, the cornfield is a tank, I try my best not to kill critters.)

I have done research, I bought these books.... None of them say anything about hermit crabs. I even looked on the internet.

THEN YOU SUCK AT SEARCHING, OR GIVE UP TOO EASILY.

I am sure it is somewhere in there but the closest I found was just a pic and no description. All the excess questions that I cannot find I post on here and hope to get a reply for a quick answer, not a reply with a rude answer.  

YOU GOT A REPLY..... FAIL TO SEE THE SARCHAZIM, and YOU ARE TOO DEFENSIVE.

SEE MY BELOW LINKS.... IT TOOK ME ALL OF 12 MINUTES TO FIND.

so me being cruel to animals is not even questionable.  

IT WAS A JOKE D0000000DE.....    

I SHOULDNT EVEN HAVE WASTED MY TIME....

AGAIN.

These are commonly frequented reef supply sites. Dude. There is plenty of info.

http://www.marinedepotlive.com/1173774.html

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Di...d=23&pCatId=617

http://www.crustacea.net/index.htm

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navc...&q=Crab+Species

Then once you found the NAME of the crab, add it to the search on google. + Dardanus+Megistos

Sheesh.....

Would you like ANY MORE SUGAR WITH YOUR SILVER PLATTER SERVING? X)

Oh and if you want to flame, Leave it up for the Recipient to see.. is shows a LACK OF SPINE when you pull the post... ya Sea Squirt.

Um....yes, there is a lot out there on hermits, you just have to look in books about inverts. Sprungs quick reference, the Encyclopedia of marine inverts, books from the Baensch series, books from Fossa and Nilson....many, many books will tell you hermits of any size are often not desirable in aquaria because they knock over things disrupt corals and eat animals and plants you may not want eaten.

And if you haven't found info on something...may it doesn't need to be purchased yet. However, I admit it is easy to do when you are just starting...which seems to be the case here. The point should be for the mistake to be educational not justified.

I found a new hitch hicker while I was aranging my rock today. it was a crab shaped like the kind you eat. I wish I got a picture. It was white with black dots, and dots of a color that I

think are orange. this blows :(

I think mine is an anemone crab. baited tank with some crab food and turned off the lights.

edit: I did a little research and found out it's a peacefull filter feeder. printer down said he paid 12 dollars for the same crab. HA HA!

Archived