Cultivated Reef

Pictures from the waters around St.Johns [56k warning]

Sinistard

Well I just got back from my honeymoon to St. Johns. While I was there I get my scuba certification and went snorkeling several times. Before I went I got an underwater housing for my Sony camera for the and took lots of under water pictures, some good some not so good. I'm going to post a bunch of them here. I am using paint shop pro to try to get the color back to "normal" or as close as I can, so unless I say otherwise the pictures look as close to real life as I could make them with my old photo program (I wish I had photo shop).

It's late and my first day back so I'll just post a few of the better or more interesting ones tonight. I'll try to add more each day.

If you want to identity any of the creatures in the photos please feel free to or if I misidentify let me know.

The first one is not under water but a picture of St. Johns while we were para sailing.

StJohns.jpg

Here is a picture of a section of reef, a lot of the corals were yellow. Any identifications are welcome.

coralgarden.jpg

This one is a brittle star on some kind of coral, I think it’s a type of fire coral.

brittlestar.jpg

This one is a scallop that was taken with the flash on so there in no color editing done just some contrast.

scalop.jpg

Here is an anemone, I only saw a couple of these and only a couple kinds of anemones the whole trip

pinktipanemone.jpg

During one snorkel trip we went to a place called the "Caves". There were 2 cave you could snorkel into and both were filled with sun coral. Here are 2 of the pictures of the sun coral

closedsun.jpg

opensun.jpg

That’s it for tonight thanks for looking and I'll post some more tomorrow.

beatiful stuff.. wish I had the money to go places.. im stuck in crappy old midwest for at least another 3-6 years though

I got certified there too :). Such a pretty place, I'd love to go back now that I know more about coral and look at the more micro stuff. Did you do NAUI or PADI?

A few more

Star, this guy was pretty big size of a dinner plate

yellowstar.jpg

Here is a picture of a some coral I liked the picture a lot, looks like a face

face.jpg

Here is the next school of fish I'm going to stick in my 12g nano;) Not the best quality of picture, the fish were hard to get good pictures of.

bluetangs.jpg

More to come

Originally posted by bobioden

Beautiful pics. Love the Sun Corals.

B)  

Bob

Thanks, the snorkel trip to the caves was one of my favorite because of the huge amount of sun corals some of which were open even at 2pm

That's amazing.

My wife and I stayed at the Westin there for our honeymoon. We didn't get to dive but we certainly will next time. The best we got was snorkeling in Trunk Bay.

~chris

Thanks Travis.

HughJas -- Thanks, we stayed at the Westin as well. We did not go to Trunk at all we spent a lot of time at cinnamon bay. The snorkeling there was awesome, there was a little island that was surrounded by reefs with lots of vertical changes and a wide variety of species.

We went to several beaches there, each was a little different. I kind of wish we would have made it to Trunk but oh well.

I asked he said 42 with wife and kids. He is putting his kids through school working as a taxi driver. He asked if the fish sticking to his back were noticable (I think he was a little embarrassed) I told him no, you can hardly tell and good luck with the kids:P

last ones for tonight

There were lots of these urchin skeletons(i think) at one area I snorkeled, 2 of the 3 I looked at had a fish in them, this one had a fish and hermit

fishcrabinshell2.jpg

fishcrabinshell1.jpg

Some more to look at

This was a huge Elkhorn colony around 6 feet across

ellkhorn.jpg

Some type of wrass

wrass.jpg

Macro algae

macro.jpg

Here is an arrow crab I saw in a cave while trying to get a picture of a nurse shark, the picture of the crab came out better. This is with a flash

arrowcrab.jpg

A few more

Here is the only ricordea I saw, not a very exciting on but it was cool so actualy see one in the wild

ricordea.jpg

A huge bristle worm, I saw several of these in a few different colors

worm.jpg

Here are some baby blue zoos, I only saw 2 colonys of zoos the whole trip. This colony was huge.

bluezoos.jpg

bluezoosclose.jpg

Archived