Top Shelf Aquatics

Artarmon's all-in-one custom nano!

artarmon42

Originally posted by adinsxq

the fish look out of proportion to me. get about 15 neon gobies please

You know, I was thinking about a school of really small fish...

I might actually do that if I find someone who would make a reasonable offer for the Lineatus ;)

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Travis

Oh yeah, how is the t5's compared to the MH??

LOVE the T5s.

I really had to get rid of the MH because:

1) Heat/evaporation

2) Spotlight effect with high-contrast lighting (either way too bright or in the shade... little in between).

I've really grown to love the T5s since putting them in because:

1) They run so cool (relative to MH)

2) Consistent light (I no longer have the MH shimmer, but honestly I'm not missing it)

3) The color spectrum is much more appealing to my eyes. I had 20k XM MH with 65W Actinic but the T5s seem to bring out the colors of the tank much more. Everything is flourescing much more.

It's too early to tell, but I think my corals are (slowly) changing to nicer colors.

Overall, I don't have anything bad to say about MH. But MH just didn't work in my tank:

1) Nano tank, small volume of water, high temp fluctuations.

2) Dimensions of the tank with enclosed hood limited how high I could place the MH.

Cool, maybe I'll try some T5s latter down the road :).  For now, I amLOVINmy MH ;)

Looks like the tank you're planning is 24" long.

That'll be just the right length for the 24W T5-HOs. Good fall-back option ;)

Looking at your setup, I don't think you'll have the problems I had with my all-in-one design. I'm following your thread, and looking forward to seeing it in action!

Nice Tank! Your switch to T-5's is convincing me even more to add dual t-5's to my halide instead of buying a second halide pendant (plus its waay cheaper). Mind informing us of the exact ballast and reflectors you used? I'd be more than glad to take some of that coralline off your hands (I'm being very serious here)!

Sam

In about 6 months, want to do a frag swap? :D

I'm open to that idea, if I have anything frag-able.

The problem with collecting "limited edition" corals is that they're limited for a reason... they grow so damn slow :(

Originally posted by Samc

Nice Tank! Your switch to T-5's is convincing me even more to add dual t-5's to my halide instead of buying a second halide  pendant (plus its waay cheaper).

I always wondered about whether T5s are all that people say... Was never sure, which is why I stuck with the tried-and-true MH for the new tank.

Now that I've tried it, I'm a convert!

My SPS as definitely growing. And I think they're actually growing faster and developing nicer color than when I had the MH!

To be fair, I think the MH just didn't work in my tank (too bright in too little area). Nothing against MH, just that T5s outperform them in my setup.

Mind informing us of the exact ballast and reflectors you used?

The ballast are "Universal Lighting Technology's AquaStart5". Yeah I never heard of them before either...

The reflectors are Sunlight parabolics.

The "white" bulbs are ATI.

I bought ATI actinic bulbs, but looking closer they are badged as Geissmann.

In the next week or so, I'm going to take apart my hood and re-run the wires (they're abit messier than I like). I'll take close up shots then.

I'd be more than glad to take some of that coralline off your hands (I'm being very serious here)!

I'm constantly scraping the stuff off.

Be happy to collect some and send it to you!

I deny all responsibility if the coralline plague overruns your thank though B)

PM me.

I thought I'd take some shots of the corals...

Here's Al G Blenny's Lucky Jade Acro when I first put it in this tank(taken under 150W 14k MH)

cn-jade-1.JPG

It turned mostly brown a week or so later, and had remained that way for most of it's time under MH. Here is the same after a week of the T5s

cn-jade-2.jpg

It's starting to turn green again. The shade of green seems brighter than when I first got it, but I think that's the T5s bringing out the color rather than any strange color morphing.

My fugia plate, was a nice green/purple when I bought it.

fugia1.JPG

It had turned solid beige, but seems to be coloring up (from the bottom).

cn-fugia-color.jpg

Possibly the best pictures I have to show the color improvement of my corals are these:

cn-frag-growth-2.JPG

cn-frag-growth-2-color.jpg

Both shots were under the new T5. You can judge from the color of the surrounding coralline that the color pallete and light conditions are relatively the same.

Taken 8 days apart. Look at the polyp colors!

I took this shot 8 days ago:

cn-onyx-tubs.JPG

Here is the frag today:

cn-tubs-growth.jpg

You should be able to see the skeleton progress to even more yellow.

While the angle is different, it looks like alot more "growths" are starting to come out. I'm going to (try to) leave it at this angle, and take another shot a week from now for comparison.

Since changing the light (I still do the same amount of maintennace, I don't dose anything, etc) I am noticing positive things happening! I'm not saying the T5s are a miracle light... just that, for this setup, everything looks better since moving from MH.

Originally posted by supernip

I like your bonsai, and onyx. lucky guy =(

No hating 'nip!

You know I'll hook you up when it's frag time ;)

It's been a week since the last update, and I'm pleased to report that the coloration improvement seems to be continuing.

Here's a shot of the Jade Acro with the green returning/spreading

cn-jade-3.jpg

This was the Tubs Birdsnest frag last week

cn-tubs-growth.jpg

Unfortunately the snails/hermits move the frag, but this is a shot from yesterday (1 week later). I circled some areas that shows "new" growth.

cn-tubs-growth-2.jpg

The skeleton continues to progress to the much nicer yellow color.

The Fugia also looks to be getter more color back in it. This is from last week

cn-fugia-color.jpg

and from yesterday, the color is working upwards towards the center.

cn-fugia-color-2.jpg

Although not obvious, the center/mouth is starting to show the purple color that was there when I bought it many months ago.

Thanks Carinya!

That birds nest coloration is insane!

The mother colony that the frag came from had purple polyps with a pretty bright yellow skeleton. Saw it with my own eyes, so I'm looking for even more change :D

Thanks Carinya!

The mother colony that the frag came from had purple polyps with a pretty bright yellow skeleton. Saw it with my own eyes, so I'm looking for even more change :D

I had no idea SPS cam in such interesting color combos. I might have to start the MH change over sooner then I thought.

I picked up a Crocea...

cn-clam-top.jpg

cn-clam-side.jpg

The shots were when I first picked him up, so he's gaping a little more than normal.

I also discovered a feather duster attached to the shell of my electric blue hermit :lol:

cn-electric-duster.jpg

It might be a little hard to pick out in the picture...

Lastly, a FTS...

cn-10-15-05-fts.jpg

Thread followers will notice that I picked up some Frogspawn.

My Onyx pair went (from the GSP) to the Frogspawn the day after I introduced it.

awesome before and after shots! those T5s really did a lot for your sps. are you sure it was the T5s and nothing else? that's a lot of improvement!

where did you get your onyx pair from? are they wild or tank raised? whatever they are they are beautiful :)

awesome before and after shots! those T5s really did a lot for your sps. are you sure it was the T5s and nothing else? that's a lot of improvement!

Yup, the T5 was the only change.

I use Catalina NSW, don't dose and feed the tank once a week.

I'm super happy about the T5s :D

where did you get your onyx pair from? are they wild or tank raised? whatever they are they are beautiful :)

I got the pair as juvies from Rod Buehler: They were tank born from his mating pair. I got them when they were about 2 months old, and I've had them for about 8 months now.

They're still immature (as in I don't think they're male/female yet), they hang out all day but slept separately. Since introducing the Frogspawn, they're sleeping together now. Hopefully this will be the start of something special ;)

Here are some shots over the time I've had them...

JuviOnyx.JPG

MH53-Onyx-Clam.JPG

female%20fugia.JPG

Archived