Top Shelf Aquatics

Picture of the Fish Bowl Moon Lights Installed!

Web Guy

Here's a picture of where I mounted mine. This has been working great for me for over a month. My tube did not melt, nothing oozed out of it. Looks just like the day I took it out of the mailbox! :D

14612Nano_Cube_005-med.jpg

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sparkling_Surfer

sNEIRBO:

Can you post a picture with the moonlights shining in the tank? I'd like to see how that differs (if at all) from putting the light in between the two pc's.

Thanks!!!

Sparkling_Surfer

I received my moonlights today & they look gorgeous! I put them in front of the lights so they are not touching at all. Thanks for the recommendation! :)

After the "crack fiasco" I re-attached my moonlights in the front of my tank on the splash gaurd as well. MUCH better! Lights up the front / viewing portion of the LR much better. No worries about heat with the moonlight tube. Excellent location. Great idea - kudos to whoever figured that one out!

I'll snap some new photos of the moonlight relocation later this week and post them.

I need to open my lid and see if mine are having issues. There mounted between the lights. They work fine but who knows if the silicon melted some. I bet if it did they would replace it! They have good customer service!

YES! The lights will NOT work without the controller. If you don't want them to cycle through a lunar cycle, you can adjust them to a constant light level - anything from full bright to off.

Not worried about cost right now. With $2300 or so in supplies, corals and many mods later what's $60?.:

I am getting a $80 battery back up unit this weekend just for emergencies as well. I already have a Fire Alarm mounted right above the fish tank at the ceiling and wall and a extenguisher.

I don't have that much invested yet... actually never even bought any corals and its been running for over a year LOL. I must have the slowest progressing tank.

My company, Fishbowl Innovations, manufactures these moonlights. I have been monitoring this thread to see what people are doing with our lights, especially since I dont have much experience with nano tanks.

It seems the most common problem with installing our lights is the heat issue. We have been working on the problem and now use a 2-part epoxy to seal the tubes that can withstand quite high temperatures. While the seal will remain intact, at about 210-230 degrees F the PVC end caps and acrylic tube soften and will begin to melt. We cant really fix this without basically reinventing the entire assembly and making it out of metal. At the same time, the LEDs (all LEDs, not just the ones we use) will fail more quickly when operated at high temperatures. So making the tube and end caps heat resistant still wouldnt solve everything. The only real fix is finding a spot for the light where it doesnt get quite so hot. Its probably worth noting that the light doesnt have to be set in the direct center of the hood... it can be mounted to the front or back and swiveled to get a good light distribution.

On another note, our lights do not require the controller to operate. We also sell them with just a power supply that you can hook up to a timer.

And to all those who have bought our lights, we offer a money back gaurantee if you dont like 'em and we will replace any damaged lights if you send them back to us or just send a picture of the damage.

Thanks all,

Steve Connell

Fishbowl Innovations

Steve -

AWESOME! I've got a single tube that took some heat damage. What info do you need for the return? Can I e-mail you the picture of the damage?

Cheers -

sNEIRBO

So Steve Connell, For those of us who have just purchased the kit and have had this issue will they be replaced. I think I was one of the first to start this fad on here.:) And yes, mine has also melted or the silicon has from the stock lighting and heating.

And to all those who have bought our lights, we offer a money back gaurantee if you dont like 'em and we will replace any damaged lights if you send them back to us or just send a picture of the damage.

I will get my photos and email you guys. Thanks!

Thanks,

Jason Webb

Sparkling_Surfer

I was going to add in that the moonlights do not require a controller but Steve beat me to it :P

GREAT product, by the way. I'm very satisfied with the illumination that these moonlights provide to my entire tank. No spotlight effect-- just an even distribution that glows! Kudos to you and everyone at Fishbowl Innovations (not to mention your great customer service- I'm impressed that you're offering refunds on melted lights!).

To everyone else-- the lights work great up front, no melting so this is the best place for them.

Here's a photo of where I relocated my moonlights this weekend

14612Moonlights_006_-_resized.jpg

As Sparkling_Surfer said, this seems to be about the best place to mount the lights. Excellent lighting of the display portion of your tank. I'm trying to figure out how to snap a photo of the tank with the moonlights on - or more precisely how to snap a photo without the flash on my digi-camera.

Originally posted by Web Guy

I am getting a $80 battery back up unit this weekend just for emergencies as well.  

Tell me more, tell me more.:)

i installed mine on the underside of my center brace of my "clear for life" 40g. right above the water level.

Steve -

I got the replacement tube yesterday - THANKS! Again, AWESOME customer service!

When I put the new tube in - it's in the same place - front of tank on the clear splash gaurd just below the hinge for the front cover (see photo above) - I turned the lights so that they are actually shining up towards center of the hood (180 degrees opposite photo above). That gives an even better look to the lights - more realistic moonlight effect. It looks like the light is bouncing off of the reflector for the main lights, EVERY INCH of the tank now has moonlight. I noticed last night when I put some corals in the tank, that with the light pointing towards the bottom there were some corals in the back that were not lit. By bouncing the light off of the reflector, everything is now covered with light. Looks GREAT!

sNEIRBO:

I have the same moonlight and I put mine basically in the same place. The only difference being that mine are under the splashguard. I just doublesided taped it in. I didn't use the bracket. Just a thought.

Bob

• 1 month later...

Any new pics of the Moonlight tube install? I'm just about to install mine and I'm worried about any heat issues?

Thanks in advance

shao-lin nano

it seemed like lots of people got into this moonlight setup and have forgotten to keep the rest of us updated on it's effects on corals, how well the lunar cycle has been working, heat issues and other details. i've been eyeing this little gadget for a while now and still want to see more results before getting one....

so all you out ther with a fishbowl innovatons moon light, please update us

thanks

I need to get my replaced. My silicon melted out of the casing. I know they said they changed that to a higher temp silicon and would replace it with a photo. I need to open my hood and clean up the silicon now.:)

Archived