Cultivated Reef

Starting New Nano - Advice Please!

Vixyswillie

Vixyswillie

Hey all,

I'm the newest kid on the block and am planning on setting up a 7g AGA Minibow at work. Here's the tentative plan... COMMENTS PLEASE!  

7-8lbs LR

1-2" LS

1 70w HQI MH

2 DC micro fans

1 Aquaclear 301 PH (have 2 of them in "surplus supplies")

50w Tronic heater

Have already heard some feedback that the 301 might be too much circulation for a 7g reef. I can dial down the output of the 301 (I'm pretty sure) - but would 2 mini jets be a better arrangement... perhaps one with a spraybar?

That's probably enough for now - but not to worry. I have lots more questions. :D

I got a 7 mini bow as well,

Http://toyfreek.50megs.com

I would put at least 10lbs of rock in there.

The 301 will be ok if you dial it down, but you really need at least two sources of circ. in there. I would suggest a hang on back filter like a whisper 30 with the media removed and one of the powerheads. The H.O.B. filter also acts like a very mini sump, good place for a heater and to dose Kalkwasser or whatever suppliments you use. also in an emergancy it can be used to run carbon. I really would go with a 70W MH as well but I had this 2x55W from a friend so thats what I'm currently using. The MH would be Ideal IMO.

GL,

Toy

I think a mini-jet 404 should do the trick.  I just bought a mini-jet 606 for my 12 gallon, and that thing can almost spray water across the room. (dont ask):blush:

Vixyswillie

Korbin and Toy - thanks for the quick replies!

Toy - nice tank pics! :) Will the 10lbs of rock give me enough room for growth? It's hard to tell from your pics how much space you have above your rock. Your HOB suggestion is good, too - hadn't thought of that. Hmm...

Korbin - If I decided on that mini-jet idea, do you think one of them would give enough circ on the top AND bottom? I was thinkin' maybe one on top and one on bottom with a spraybar??

I have a 4" sandbed in there and there is still plenty o' room. with a 1-2" sandbed you wil be fine, as with all nano's you will have to frag when your corals outgrow your little box o water:)

Toy

Well, I have a 404 in my 3 gallon, and I keep that on the middle setting.  There are about 5 settings.  It keeps things stirred up pretty well throughout.  The highest setting is too much for that tank.  But it might be just enough for a 7.  They have a 7 at my LFS with 1 404 in it and its doing nicely.

You might want to wait to hear from more of the 7 galloners on the site though.

I'd also vote for a HOB filter, it gets stuff out of the tank. I also run floss in mine when I'm doing water changes or messing in the tank. Helps with getting the particles I stir up out of the water. You could use the 301, if you don't like it it's not a big deal to replace it. How are you planning on mounting you lighting? I'm not familiar with the lighting system you're going to use.

As for the rock....are you going to hand pick it out?That's what I recommend you do, that way you can get shapes that will fit the idea you have for the tank.

You can see picture of my 5.5 in the member tank section, under The Toilet.  There's nothing in the tank except the HOB intake.

Vixyswillie
Quote: from SLOreefer on 11:01 pm on June 4, 2002[br]hey man i talked to you at the rc board....im normally at this one though...glad to see you here.

Glad I found this one, SLOreefer - nice to see a friendly face! I can see why you hang here more often... no offense to rc. :D

Vixyswillie
Quote: from Toyfreek on 11:04 pm on June 4, 2002[br]I have a 4" sandbed in there and there is still plenty o' room. with a 1-2" sandbed you wil be fine, as with all nano's you will have to frag when your corals outgrow your little box o water:)

Gotcha. Is the 2" or so enough sand?

Vixyswillie
Quote: from Korbin on 11:07 pm on June 4, 2002[br]Well, I have a 404 in my 3 gallon... the highest setting is too much for that tank.  But it might be just enough for a 7... You might want to wait to hear from more of the 7 galloners on the site though.

Good info - thanks! I'll see what some of the other 7g folks have to say. Good to know the mini-jet is adjustable, too.

There is no proof that in a nano enviroment a DSB will function properly due to limited footprint. I put 4" in my nano so the corals would be closer to the light, at first a 32W smartlamp, even then it was not sufficiant so now I'm at 2x55W PC's Things are much happier now. SO....to answer your Q yes 1-2" will be fine.

HTH,

Toy

a 2" sb is plenty. i only use about 1/2 inch all the way around. it is more personal preference for looks and some filtration. the idea of dsb is controvertial right now and i personally dont like how they look. i do know of someone with 20lbs of ls in there 7 gallon though. all he uses for circulation is an aquaclear 150. i would recomend using maybe a hob and a small ph. i do like the spray bar idea though. http://mistressreef.homestead.com/files/pi...ico/bonzai.html

this guy has a cool 7 gallon with the spray bar. take a look.

Vixyswillie

lisbeth - thanks for that info! I like the way you use your HOB with floss for water changes, etc. Clever little solution! You just take it out when you're done, then?

The lighting mounting is still evolving. :) The HQI is a single MH bulb, so I have some questions about how best to mount it, how far from the surface, etc. I'm curious to hear what others have to say 'bout that.

As far as the rock is concerned - yes, I would definitely like to pick out the rock by hand - IF I can find some decent stuff locally. It's going to be a bit of a problem to convince someone on the web to send me less than 10 pounds, hey?

I'll check out your pic - thanks for letting me know!

Vixyswillie
Quote: from lizbeth on 11:08 pm on June 4, 2002[br]You can see picture of my 5.5 in the member tank section, under The Toilet.

Can't find it among the member tank page links... :(

witht hte hqi what type are you getting? i know you are getting the 70w but ar eyou getting the hanging type or the pendant type. the hanging type could be hung from the cieling....i think about 4-5 inches off the surface with the fans would be plenty. i would probably keep it more at like 4.

Vixyswillie

Toyfreek and SLOreefer - appreciate the info on the SB depth... thanks. That solves that question. For now, anyway. :D

SLOreefer - that nano link you sent me is the VERY one that got me motivated to get this project going! Isn't that totally killer??! YIKES....

Vixyswillie
Quote: from SLOreefer on 11:33 pm on June 4, 2002[br]with the hqi... are you getting the hanging type or the pendant type

I thought the hanging type in some sort of reflector hood would give wider light dispersion over the pendant option. Opinions on that? If the hanging is better, maybe retrofitted up about 4 inches, then? I'm thinking of mounting the 2 fans so one blows in and the other blows out - better air circ, hopefully.

Vixyswillie
Quote: from lizbeth on 11:43 pm on June 4, 2002[br]My tank post is in the members tank forum.

Found it, once I started looking in the right place! DOH!! :D

That is a gorgeous reef and pics, lizbeth - Jimminy Crickets! What did'ja take them pics with??!

you are right about the wider distribution of light. i personally like the retro style that way you can do an enclosed hood and ge teh light to go into the direction you want it to. the two fans and the light 4"above should be fine. withte two fans blowing i would recommend some type of auto topoff system. there will be alot of evap from the fans. just a though. you can make a whole topoff system for about 25 bucks

wow MH over a nano, especially a 7 gal. you would be able to keep anything you want. the rectro has a wider distrubtion of light but for some reason i like the pendant more. well with the pendant you can get a greater distribution of light the higher the pendant is from the water surface but the intensity of the light is reduce, dont know how greatly it will be reduce tho. HOB filters are great for nano. your LFS should sell floss pad for like $1, which can be cut into two or maybe even three. so you really dont have to buy the expensive replacement filter floss. this would help keep your water clear. just turn off the filter whenever you feed. or you can just run the HOB filter without floss and have it for surface circulation. yeah people at RC are weird. only go there to check out the used equipments people are selling.

i disagree....the peopl at rc have alot to offer. many people i respect in the hobby use that site. this is a better site if you are more interested in nanos as rc is more oriented in the whole reef keeing and mostly not nanos.

NanoReefer53

Here's a pic of my top-off system. you'll need it because the MH will cause a great deal of heat causing the water to evaporate more. You'll want the water to evaporate help cool the tank. The top-off will insure that the salinity stays the same since only water evaporates, not salt

floatswitch.jpg

http://www.californiareefs.com/evaporation7reef.htm

this guy is my friend and he has a 7 gallon bow also. he has a good set-up for a auto topoff system. feeds the water into the top of your hob filter. believe it or not he just ordered a 150w hqi for his 7 gallon bow. he also has a 150w hqi on his 20. all the photos of his tanks can be found on that page if youw ant.

Archived